PDA

View Full Version : Bird in flight -acrylic

lisapencil
02-20-2017, 03:55 AM
Just finished another bird in acrylic. This time a macaw in flight painted on primed MDF board using Liquitex and galaria acrylics. I was really pleased with my clouds. There are some splotches shown in the painting which have since been tidied up, unfortunately I didn't have time to rephotograph the painting because I had to deliver to some friends yesterday.

Hope you like

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/lisapencil/bird-in-flight%20copy_zpszwzgmh3m.jpg (http://s411.photobucket.com/user/lisapencil/media/bird-in-flight%20copy_zpszwzgmh3m.jpg.html)

fedetony
02-20-2017, 06:00 AM
This is lovely Lisa....
Just as a tip, is better to locate the objects at 1/3 of the distance to the borders, due to the way the brain process the image. This is called the rule of thirds. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds) Your composition would be better if the macaw was a bit more centered :)

Joe'sHottie
02-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Lisa, I agree with fedetony - the subject is placed too high on the canvas, however, this is really, really nice . . . I just can't stop staring at those feathers, they are rendered beautifully.

lisapencil
02-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Thanks very much Fedetony and Joe's hottie for the advice,it's much appreciated. I read in William Silvers book that if the subject was place higher up in would create a sense of tension which is what I was trying to achieve. The macaw is actually lower on the painting I accidentally cropped a bit of the top when resizing the photo, oops :angel:

chammi kaiser
02-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Love it Lisa. Something so different and interesting.:clap: :clap: :clap:

KreativeK
02-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Dramatic, surprising, and stunning as if the parrot is about to land on our heads. Even though your center of interest is high I'm sure your friends loved it and so do I. Most excellent feathers, sky, all of it!

Schuee
02-21-2017, 03:35 AM
I can feel the wind in the feathers! Very good.

Triduana
02-21-2017, 04:57 AM
It's nice to see something a little different in a macaw painting. I like the sense of movement and the look of the feathers. I like your clouds too. :)

skappy
02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Nice action it looks like he just took off, nice job

lisapencil
02-23-2017, 03:18 AM
Thanks very much everybody:wave:

zaadz
02-26-2017, 01:24 AM
Hello Lisa,
Even though you cropped I reckon you are on something grand here. Lovely to see a bit of flippancy flutter in. Good stuff!
If the bird is at the pinnacle of a triangle of mischief why do clouds? Rather than taming the narrative, with your skill why not lash out and design added drama, like the top of the masts of a pirate clipper...
Placing the bird above us mere mortals demands a sterling stirring tale! Maybe a fluttering skull-n-crossbones flag to assist your triangle design. Placing the bird up there is brilliant. I'd have put it higher and nuke them clouds!!!
Cheers from Tasmania,
Pieter Z

lisapencil
02-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Thanks very much Pieter. The clouds were in the reference picture. I am quite brave enough yet to be more adventurous with my backgrounds, but I love your suggestion. Actually hubby did suggest a hand holding a peanut, but I think your suggestion is more exciting. I like the idea of a pirate ship "pieces of eight, capn't":lol:

jonc50
02-27-2017, 11:28 PM
Great work Lisa.

lucindameow
02-28-2017, 03:17 PM
so cool! love those tail feathers.