PDA

View Full Version : bad Paper

nancymae
10-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Here is one I did from a pack of sampler paper that Dakota art puts out....and it's called Pastel Cloth...don't know who makes it...but it was HORRIBLE to work with!!! You had to go over and over again just to fill up the tooth....if you didn't...the pattern that was left was not very good to look at. Anyway...here is the painting that I did with that paper. It's 9 x 12...done from a picture that I took while walking. Please give me any comments or suggestions.

Thank you!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2003/910-Tree_Stump.jpg

Dark_Shades
10-29-2003, 04:29 PM
I think this is wonderful........ and exceptional, especially as its done on 'That Cloth'...... I too had the sample pack, and threw the cloth straight in the bin

..... absolutely well done to you on all accounts

Mary Robinson
10-29-2003, 04:37 PM
It's a lovely piece, you should enter it in the Painting Water thread ;)

Mary

Kathryn Wilson
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Very well done Nancymae - especially for a painting done on paper you struggled with.

I have seen the Pastel Cloth sold in various catalogs, but was not familiar with it. Could you give a description? Is it actually cloth, or is it paper with pumice on it??

:confused:

nancymae
10-29-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi Kyle...thanks for the comments!! The paper feels gritty on one side...but different gritty than say Colorfix or Wallis. It is like sandpaper in that it eats up the pastel, but it is very pliable...as the back feels almost like Tyvek (the insallation that buildings use, or envelopes in business)--but that is JUST the back. It is werid...and I hated the surface as soon as I put a pastel to it...but I wanted to give it a chance. I am most used to using Canson and sueded matboard...so this was a very difficult surface for me. I know that this description has made things clear as mud....but I hope that it helps.....my advice is to STAY AWAY!!!

Nancy

Kathryn Wilson
10-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info Nancymae - I think I will stay away. It is so valuable when members share their experiences with materials that are hard to use. Sounds like the grit was not fine enough.

I'm a big fan of colorfix and Wallis, so will stick to what I know.

Deborah Secor
10-29-2003, 06:56 PM
I've seen pastel cloth stretched like a canvas over stretcher bars and stapled on the back, then toned with something. It made the pastel look like an oil painting. But why? I personally want my pastels to look like pastels...

Deborah

Artaholic
10-30-2003, 02:52 AM
Lovely piece, especially with what you had to work with.

Gerry

E-J
10-30-2003, 03:47 AM
Nancymae, I bought the Dakota sampler back in the spring too and have worked my way through all the surfaces except that one sheet of pastel cloth ... it's white, for a start (was yours white too?) and the gritty side intended for pastels has this weird sparkly, shiny look that's not terribly enticing. Is it ok to underpaint on this stuff in wet media, I wonder? Are you supposed to stick it to backing board before you can use it? Who knows. Who cares, when there are papers like Wallis and Somerset Velvet out there!! By the way, you did a great job in spite of your materials.

nancymae
10-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Yes, EJ...that is the stuff.....I did my pastel on the other side (not shiny side)...I have no idea why...I suppose because the non-shiny side felt gritty....maybe I did do it on the wrong side!! Who knows...and I agree with you!--Who cares!! I LOVE my suede mat board...but I wanted to try out new things.

Thanks dee for the input on how to use the cloth...and I also agree with you...I want my pastels to look like pastels!! They are tooo beautiful!!!!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!!

Nancy

Kathryn Wilson
10-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Hey Guys: I have heard everyone sing praises for the Somerset Velvet paper/board (??) - where in the U.S. can I buy some. I have looked in all my catalogs and not finding exactly the way it is being described in the Pastel Forum.

:confused:

blissfullyunaware
10-30-2003, 10:25 AM
:clap: :D

sharon