PDA

View Full Version : Eye See You - Velour vs Sanded Paper

slyfox75
02-18-2017, 01:30 AM
These little fellows are part of a study on eyes and fur that I started in order to compare papers.

I think I have made a decision. For me, the velour board is so much nicer to paint animals on than the sanded paper. It doesn't eat my pastels, minimal dust, the fine hair strokes are much cleaner, the colors are more easily layered and the application of pastel to paper is so smooth, not gritty. The only con is that I have to be more careful not to do too many layers or my colors look dull.

Pastels used are CarbOthello and NuPastel.

C&C welcome and appreciated! :)

Donna T
02-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Both of these are so nice! I can see why you prefer the softer look of velour for your beautiful animal paintings. I'm curious: have you tried the finest grit of UArt (800, I think)? I remember thinking that a sample piece I once tried felt very velour-like and wonder if you'd like a very finely sanded surface.

slyfox75
02-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I did try an Ampersand Pastelbord. It had a very fine grit but I still thought the hairs looked grainy. It also seemed to "eat up" the fine edge on my pastels making it difficult to get those fine hairs. I did like how it really grabbed the large areas of pastel and blended nicely using a blending tool (not at all using my fingers). I may need to try it again but maybe with a different subject, perhaps a still life?

Do you know if the Ampersand is comparable to the UArt 800?

water girl
02-18-2017, 02:51 PM
They are both very nicely painted, but I can see where you might like the velour.

Donna T
02-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Sorry, I've never used Ampersand. I'm sure there are others here who have and know if it's similar to UArt.

ArtistMelinda
02-20-2017, 06:28 PM
wow I was wondering how people got those fine details with pastels. I pretty much gave up on it.
Is this another of example of "Its not you, its the paper!"?

jlombardi
02-21-2017, 08:59 AM
I am just wondering if I am the only one who can't make up their mind on this? I tend to like velour for somethings and sanded for others. I keep trying different papers and can't seem to settle on anything.

westcoast_Mike
02-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Have you tried Pastelmat. Nice smooth finish that still holds several layers.

palettetalk
02-21-2017, 04:39 PM
I have velour paper and forgot all about it until seeing your posting. I just did a portrait of a small dog that i just posted here (Nikos) on Le Carte card. I am now kicking myself for not getting out the velour for it as I much prefer it for animal paintings. Dang!
Gorgeous foxes btw.

stapeliad
02-22-2017, 03:35 PM
That's really nice work.
I tried velour paper and found it difficult to work on. I couldnt get good detail and maybe it is just in my mind but I think the velour doesn't grab the pastel.

However I was using very soft pastels... the harder ones and pencils might work better. I am inspired to give it another try. :)