PDA

View Full Version : "orchids in fucsia and cream"

TScottDove
10-29-2003, 02:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-29-2003/5523_orchids_in_fucsia_and_cream.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-29-2003/5523_orchids_in_fucsia_DETAIL.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "orchids in fucsia and cream"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
trying to get looser, yet stay realistic (less use of tiny brushes). a long way to go, i think.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
suggestions?

Naris
10-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Magnificent! Maybe loose isn't you? We aren't all meant to be impressionists or expressionists. Don't think Georgia OKeefe or Dali ever loosened up (at least not on canvas!):clap:

Phranque
10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Absolutely stunning - as always

How is the exhibit going?

mfoxmelanson
10-29-2003, 02:39 PM
LUSCIOUS!:clap:

M.

michael forster
10-29-2003, 02:41 PM
it's got a nice soft look to it- and not over worked. Nothing wrong with your "loose" style -nobody ever told O'Keefe to loosen up!

dornberg
10-29-2003, 05:25 PM
kind of an orchestration of
many entrances and balances

racerartist
10-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Ha, ha, you sound exactly like me..."trying to loosen up". I have tried to be loose and oh so "artsy", but it keeps coming up realistic. Your flowers are fantastic..........

After much ado...I've decided not to fight it. -keep it up!
Lynn

giniaad
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
this is WAY nice!
don't be not doing your regular style, though...
mostly, do what your heart and soul lead you to do...
it will be superior...
your sense of color and space are wonderful!

Paintonbrush
10-29-2003, 06:54 PM
I'll take that to go!
:clap:
love the title. its how I take my coffee.....
just perfect..you do awesome work

pampe
10-29-2003, 11:08 PM
yes

me too

looser is not necessarily better...just different

THIS, however is STUNNING:clap:

jerryW
10-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by dornberg
kind of an orchestration of
many entrances and balances
that is funny I first thought of music when I saw this,
mozart - ish,
then I thought of sex,

TScottDove
10-29-2003, 11:21 PM
well so far you've all given me much to ponder... maybe looser isn't the way for me to go...

narista: thanks for the comments. "at least not on canvas" - LOL Love that

thanks frank: will send u a PM about the show

m: thanks, appreciate it

thanks, michael: love hearing "not over worked." thanks

dornberg: so poetically said. thanks, i like that

lynn: glad to know i'm not the only one. might just have to leave well enough alone. thanks for your comments

gini: funny, i never think of me as having a style - rather almost a lack of one. [It's great to know what others think - thanks WC]

aw thanks, Diane, appreciate that a lot from you.
and I like my coffee like I like my -- whoops! TMI!! TMI!!

Ceu
10-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Just gorgeous :)

Alan Cross
10-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Do what works for you and I think this works for you. Great job.
Alan :)

Rieko
10-30-2003, 03:28 AM
I feel the music, too. It's such gorgeous melange of fucsia and cream playing the music in harmony. Impressive work.

TScottDove
10-30-2003, 01:01 PM
don't think i know of higher praise than anyone thinking of music when seeing my work. never thought i was a softie, but really moved by that. thanks Jerry and Rieko

Pam and Alan: who am i to argue - appreciate that a lot coming from the two of you

thanks Jerry - see above. and as for the sex - others have said it, i don't see it (but then again it's been awhile :eek: )

thanks Ceu

Rieko - see above. you honor me, thanks

pero lane
10-30-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm not a floral lover but yours are always fabulous!! Not too much detail but always enough for that "punch in the gut" feeling.:clap: Well done!

Gilberte
10-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Why should you get looser, you're so good in THIS style ! Bravo !

mcknight
10-30-2003, 04:14 PM
Beautiful! Great sensitivity to colour and shade. You handle this tight stuff so well and it seems to come natural to you. ...leading to the repeated question - why do you want to get looser? Everyone is telling you not to and, based on this, they might be right to say that. However, if it's on your mind, then maybe there are legit reasons for it. Maybe it's still worth some idle consideration even if your current stuff is great.

Wayne Gaudon
10-30-2003, 06:22 PM
that is dang near abstract .. it's a beauty .. don't think about how you want to paint just think about what you are painting and how you want to show it .. all else will follow in line.

marilyn h
10-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Just gorgeous!

Rabbit Twilight
10-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Really beautiful.
And hey, somebodies got to paint detail. Not everyone feels the need to slap the paint around like I do.

TScottDove
10-31-2003, 01:28 PM
i think it's as much as wanting to know how to be looser and yet realistic as much as anything - then having that skill/ability/tool as an option. I really admire the style of jerryW and others who can express so much in what appears to be simple swipes of their brush

thanks pero - i actually think there are more who don't like paintings of flowers than do (which is one reason I try to make the composition as un-floral as possible)

thanks gilberte - much appreciated

good point, Wayne, thanks. never thought of it that way before.

thanks mcknight: (see above) i think we are on the same wavelength

thanks marylin

thanks Bobbi - btw: checked out your site - just beautiful

michelefeder
10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Beautiful, what else can I say. I can relate to your situation perfectly. I went through the same process and wanted to encourage you that there is a chance things will change or loosen up if you keep at it. I discovered that a lot of soul searching needs to be done in the process too. I don't mean to sound corny, but our work is a reflection of who we are. I worked in pen and ink with cross hatching style for 15 years and I finally made it to painting. Oils forced me, in my case, to be more fluid. My website has all my work on it and the whole process I went through in changing. It might give you a little insight. Hang in there, I know going through the transition can be frustrating. Good Luck.
Michele

http://www.michelefeder.com

jefuchs
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
First, it's spelled Fuchsia. Named after Leonard Fuchs (no relation, as far as I know).

Second, this is beautiful, like all your pieces I've seen so far. But if you're trying to loosen up, you've got a ways to go. Study Scott Burdick's paintings for examples of painterly, but accurate work. Use big brushes, and paint pictures with no intention of showing them to anyone. Burdick piles the paint on. That's what I hope to do if I ever begin painting.

Still, you're doing great with the tight rendering. If that's your thing, and it's working for you, don't argue with success.

reynolds
12-15-2003, 12:14 AM
when i see your work i think of sex too. i always feel like it needs the butt icon as my reaction is so instantaneous, almost feel embarassed admitting it.:p so i am off for a cold shower...heehee change or stay the same it will be great either way!!!

as for music, well i would say Branford Marsalis (sp?)

Bjo
12-15-2003, 12:30 AM
:clap: This is awesome!!

TScottDove
12-15-2003, 04:16 AM
a nice surprise to see this on WC again....

michele: how did I let you get by without responding? thanks for your kind words and encouragement

jefuchs: i stand corrected, thanks. re: looseness., i guess i'm gonna just keep doing what I'm doing and let looseness evolve if it is to be, but I'll definitely check out Burdick. thanks

reynolds: LOL glad you are enjoying my work. ;) Funny, I don't TRY to make them sexual, but I get that a lot.

Mee: thanks, much appreciated.

reynolds
12-15-2003, 10:30 AM
i like it when older threads pop up again!!!