PDA

View Full Version : Nujabi sketchbook

Deborah Susan Hill
02-16-2017, 10:47 PM
This sketchbook is composed of 100% handmade cotton rag paper made in India. Each page is beautiful hand laid paper and the binding is coptic stitched so it will lay flat if you want to do a panoramic landscape. It was on sale at Jerrys artarama for $ 20 for a hard bound watercolor journal. I love this paper.. but you can't scrub it or try to over wet it or expect to lift areas out of your composition as the paper is somewhat fragile if you scrub on it.. in any case, i bought two of these 25 page journals and wished I had bought a couple more..

Monastic Bat
02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Beautiful effect, love it. You certainly handled the difficult paper very well. Do you have any more work in the book? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Regards,
Greg

Deborah Susan Hill
02-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Here's page two done this morning of the deer in my side yard just off the deck.. Lukas Watercolor and hand made micro glitter paint..pigma micron pen.

Monastic Bat
02-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Most Cool!!!:clap::clap::clap:
Regards,
Greg

Deborah Susan Hill
02-17-2017, 02:35 PM
You can't see the glitter as it needs to have a light source and can really only be shown to effect in a video under sunlight. The glitter in this case sparkles like holographic rainbow dew over the surface of the landscape and golden bronze over the deer's coat.. I am not a purist in terms of watercolor and will add mica and glitter as well as metallic pigments to the mix on occasion. I learned how to mix my own paint from pigment powders in college but also appreciate high quality paint like Schmincke, Daniel Smith, and Lukas' professional grade, recently reformulated watercolor line. Recently I have been mixing holographic glitter with pigment powders to make my own sparkling H2O's. I put them in five gram plastic screw top cosmetic jars and can grab a few colors out at a time as needed. The up side is that they are a small fraction of the cost of the pre mixed ones..

Deborah Susan Hill
02-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Here's page three that I worked on a few days ago and glued up and embellished today. You really can't see the iridescent metallic sheen or the glitter which is brilliant red and violet in the flowers in the painting or the stamped floral embellisment on the edges of the page. The illustration was painted on a heavier weight of Nujabi paper and glued onto the page today and the stamping and embellishment added today as well.

The flower stamp was made from a hand cut champagne bottle cork. I save my corks and make stamps out of them. They work pretty well for that. The illustration was painted on 2-17 which was the date I saw my first blue heron of the year. This is over a month early for my area along the South edge of Wisconsin on the Mississippi flyway. Today it was over 70 degrees here and that is six or seven degrees above the all time high temperature for my region on this date in recorded history.

I guess the birds believe in migrating when the climate says it's warm enough. Flocks of Robins have been here already, and they don't usually show up here until the end of march or the beginning of April.. There was also a huge flight of starlings that must have come back from the Arkansas Missouri area at a nearby dairy farm. Canada Geese and ducks are all settling on the lake down the hill from me as I type this.. The weather is shifting.. The climate is indeed changing. The birds are moving north earlier than normal. They don't deny the shift.. why do some humans?

Monastic Bat
02-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Love the colors.
Regards,
Greg

Deborah Susan Hill
02-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Lord of the forest Page 4 Painted with Daniel Smith watercolor paint, Micro glitter, and pigma micron pen. There was a magnificent buck resting 60 foot off the deck in my side yard this morning. He had a yearling doe resting on the other side of the fence from him. He stayed for the better part of an hour and a half in repose. The does are always around, but this boy has only been seen at a distance out in the woods.

He's probably around five or six years old and he finally decided it was safe to come into the yard and lie down for a nap. After he finished his rest he browsed on the raspberry brambles and ate down the crocuses that are emerging weeks ahead of schedule. a few days of sixty to seventy degree weather had them sprouting out of the ground. The deer look at them as a special treat and I seldom get to see them for long after they emerge and start to bloom. They get eaten down in rapid fashion. It's alright though as the deer are more beautiful than the spring crocus are.

This boy gave me a wonderful show and I felt honored that he finally decided he was safe here. It's the only place for miles posted no hunting or trespassing and I keep it that way. It's a 32 acre patch of refuge and if people trespass the sheriff gets called and if they get caught, their expensive pea shooters will get confiscated..along with the $500 fine for trespassing on posted private property. All the locals know this and they stay out.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Page 5 Winsor&Newton Watercolor marker, Daniel Smith Watercolor paint, Pigma micron pen. Hand made Micro Glitter eye makeup powder paint. All the pretty horses. Rounded up and removed from public land so they can be replaced with cattle by ranchers who lease the land for pennies an acre.. There are less than 45000 wild horses roaming on public lands in the USA where over three million once roamed. Those 45000 animals are accused of destroying the grass and riparion areas by overgrazing them and causing riverbank erosion. The Three million plus cattle which graze on public lands get a free pass to damage as much public land as is allotted to the ranching industry. Wild horses range between twenty five and fifty miles per day and do not stay in the same place crowded together in huge herds like cattle do. They don't bunch up in groups of fifty to 100 head as cattle do but band up in small familial groups numbering between five and ten head per harem which consists of a stallion, two or three mares of breeding age and youngstock under the age of three... Which species do you suppose damages the range the most?

Deborah Susan Hill
02-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Page 6 Lake Powell. Thirty years ago I went to Nevada to visit friends and relatives and attend two weddings. The water levels in lake Powell and Lake Meade were much higher back then. In the ensuing years drought has dropped the water level in some areas by 130 feet. Many of the docks and marinas that were once flourishing businesses are left high and dry. A lot of the Water goes to California and by the time the Colorado river empties into the Rio Grand, it needs to be desalinated. There are high water marks, white salt bathtub rings some as much as 130 feet above the current water levels on the walls and rock formations in and around lake Meade and Lake Powell.. Winsor & Newton Paint. Winsor & Newton Watercolor Marker. Pigma micron pen. Hand mixed iridescent paint, Pearl Ex Powder pigment and gum arabic powder and water..

bgviper
02-25-2017, 06:38 AM
really like the Lake Powel study!

eyepaint
02-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Wheee! The texture is awesome!!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Page 7 Hand made glitter and iridescent paint and pigma micron pen work.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Page 8 Hand made glitter and iridescent paint and pigma micron pen.

eyepaint
03-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Ooooh more yummy texture........

Joan T
03-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Your pages are so vibrant and full of energy and texture. That paper looks great!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Page 9 hand mixed glitter paint. Daniel smith watercolor. Pigma micron pen.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2017, 10:21 PM
The paper is really soft and pretty fragile. It doesn't have a lot of sizing in it, so it won't hold up to a lot of scrubbing or paper torture. I is 100% cotton rag paper. However it does have a wonderful texture and if you spritz it down with a spray bottle and lay down washes with a 3/4 inch kolinsky sable one stroke brush for the background then let it dry thoroughly, you can draw on top of it and paint with dry brush later on! I like this paper, but your mileage may vary depending on what you are used to!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2017, 10:24 PM
I am going to buy a few more of these journals next week because I like them. Just my personal preference.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Page 10, Hand mixed glitter and Iridescent paint and pigma micron pen.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Page 11. Hand mixed glitter and iridescent watercolor paint. Pigma micron pen.

eyepaint
03-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Oooh I really like the bird in post 20 :)

Deborah Susan Hill
03-07-2017, 08:52 PM
page 12 boats at low tide! Daniel smith paint and Pigma micron pen!

Joan T
03-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Love your expressive colors!!! Great job!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Thank you Joan! I appreciate your compliments and think that my most difficult point in working a sketchbook is doing it from one day to the next! It is always harder than it seems to be! Never the less we push forward and try of go from one day to the next, and hope that we improve our skills as we move forward!
(Or something like that.) I hope this post finds you well and that your skills are improving as you move along in time and space! As always, Deb!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Here's another boat page adjacent to the previous one! The same materials as on the previous one, with the addition of some more Pearl Ex pigments hand mixed watercolor paints!

eyepaint
03-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Toucan ... and boats for the win :)

Deborah Susan Hill
03-19-2017, 06:18 PM
From St. Paddy's day wearin' 'O the Green! Pages 14 and 15!

Deborah Susan Hill
03-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Toad and Windfall apples from the animal and wildlife challenge reference this month. Daniel Smith and PearlEx watercolor paint, Pigma micron pen.

otherworlder
03-22-2017, 08:27 AM
I especially like the two green pages, so fresh and vibrant. These pages actually don't look like great papers, but you definitely put them to good use.

laudesan
03-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Wonderful work. Love the bunnies :)

Deborah Susan Hill
04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a filthy house! Somewhere in the rockies...Nujabi sketchbook! Pearl Ex and micro glitter hand mixed watercolor paint. Pigma micron pen.

eyepaint
04-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Oooh bison :)

Deborah Susan Hill
04-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Florida Key Deer! They are diminutive in stature and a relative rarity as far as their species goes. They closely resemble white tail deer but are half sized. This reference came from the animals and wildlife challenge I feature it this month in my Nujabi sketchbook!

Joan T
04-06-2017, 09:08 PM
You really have some great pieces here! I really like these.

Deborah Susan Hill
04-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Bears on an iceberg. The paint was mixed with Utrecht Cobalt blue powder pigment, dark blue micro glitter and Sky blue PearlEx powder pigment and Gum arabic powder plus water. The Cobalt blue pigment is on a spectacular closeout deal on Dick Blick for the paltry price of around $16 per four ounce jar. I bought two as the cobalts are becoming ridiculously expensive and two jars will make a very large supply of watercolor paint when mixed in the right proportions. It is also known as Parish blue as Cobalt blue was a favorite sky and background color used be the painter Maxfield Parish. If you paint you may want to purchase some from them. They are fantastic!

laudesan
04-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Your work is lovely, what kind of sketchbook are you using?

Deborah Susan Hill
04-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Nujabi Sketchbook Wolves on an iced over pond. Hand mixed Utrecht Cobalt Blue powder pigments. Micro Glitter, Pearl Ex Paint, Pigma micron pen for linear work! It sparkles and shines!

Deborah Susan Hill
04-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Princess and Lummy studies. My kitties are always around for quick,warmup sketches. Pigma Micron Pen, hand mixed watercolor and glitter paints using Pearl Ex and and Utrecht cobalt blue powder pigment and micro glitter and irridescent powder eye makeup samples purchased from China on ebay mixed with water and Jaquard gum arabic powder. They dry into a watercolor cake that I put in five gram jars like Those Jaquard irridescent shimmering watercolors. They are lightfast and can be either transparent or opaque depending on the colors used. They cost a fraction of what the jaquard watercolors do and the micro glitter
adds a lot of flash to this book.

eyepaint
04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Love all the animals - the latest kitties for sure :) Thank you for continuing to post :)

Deborah Susan Hill
04-13-2017, 07:46 AM
J.J. The sketchbook is actually a Nujabi Sketchbook which is hand made in India by a small shop using the same papermaking technique that has been used for thousands of years. They use 100% cotton rag fibers and the paper in the journal is around 130lb or 260gsm or so. The surface differs from one sheet to the next and each separate one has its own character.

The pages are not as heavily sized as Arches or any of the other mass produced machine made papers and as such it tends to soak up the paint like a sponge making it difficult to lift any paint off of it once you lay it down. It also is pretty fragile so it isn't good for scrubbing or any other form of paper torture.. That said it has a lovely character and grain and if you are a direct painter who tends to lay down the paint as you want it to be initially you may want to try it. I like these journals and they are still on sale at Jerry's Artarama in the USA for a limited time.

At $20 American for an 81/2X 11 inch journal it is a bargain as they retail at double that price generally. I just went ahead and ordered four more of them this month as I happen to like the surface. The bindings are somewhat fragile and I may have to reinforce the spine of the book with binding tape, but other than that I like them. They are hardbound. They are 25 sheets or fifty pages so one lasts me a month or two depending on how much drawing I get to. I don't know if you have a distributor down under, but you are actually closer to India than we are in the states.

Nujabi also sells full sheets and Marine sized landscape Sheets in this paper as well as in a heavier weight.. I ordered some of that as well and it is good enough for my purposes and technique.. As always, Deb Hill

Deborah Susan Hill
04-16-2017, 10:39 PM
Nujabi sketchbook, another day another page in the desert southwest scribbling animals and people and scenery from memory.. Just scribbles, not much else!

eyepaint
04-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Love that vibrant red :)

Deborah Susan Hill
04-16-2017, 11:37 PM
As I said. the paper wouldn't suit a painter who preferred Arches or some of the other high end papers, but it is a different and interesting surface to work on if you don't care about controlling every brush stroke. If you are a loose painter who splashes around and lays paint down fast without too much concern about tight controlled edges etc. it is a fun surface.

Joan T
04-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Great pieces. The sketchbooks sounds interesting.

Deborah Susan Hill
05-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Spring in the countryside. Nujabi Sketchbook. Caran D'Ache watercolor crayons, Mungyo watercolor half pan palette. Pigma micron pen. The Mungyo watercolor palette is a great deal for the around sixty bucks I paid for a metal palette with 45 half pans. The paint is highly pigmented and as nice as the Daniel Smith and Winsor Newton paint I have been using at a fraction of the cost. It re-wets off the dry cakes in a smooth creamy manner. It is nice, transparent color. I haven't done any lightfast tests on it so I can't say how it would hold up to daylight exposure, but since It is not going to get a lot of that in a journal These are nice enough for this purpose.

Joan T
05-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Nice color to the paints. Well done!

Deborah Susan Hill
05-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks Joan. Here's another page I just posted to the Animals and Wildlife monthly challenge. It is a scribble and wash painting done with Staedtler water soluble crayons from Germany and mungyo watercolor paint made in Korea. The crayons dissolve easily with the application of a water brush. They are heavily pigmented and glide over the paper just like any other good quality crayon would. They are also pretty reasonable in terms of their price point at a dollar or so per crayon. I purchased the box of twelve on Ebay for around $10 and think they are a great way to add watercolor to your sketches. Less messy too as you won't have a wet palette sloshing paint and possibly leaking in your kit..

Deborah Susan Hill
05-31-2017, 12:27 AM
Prismacolor watercolor paints by Sanford corporation that used to make Prismacolor colored pencils in the Great Lakes Region of the United states. They apparently no longer manufacture this heavily pigmented brilliant colored watercolor paint. I found these paints in 16mm. tubes on Ebay at a reasonable price and bought what the seller had. They are admittedly pretty nice, though I'm sure that the alizarine crimson and the rose madder are not light fast. I did these swatch tests and a sample painting in my nujabi watercolor sketchbook along with a few mixed colors and a bit of blending and wet on wet work then went to work and painted a landscape on the adjacent page. In all I'd rate them on a similar level to M. Graham or any other artists quality paints. Too bad they don't seem to produce watercolor paint in tubes anymore and these days their colored pencils made in Mexico. As always, Deb.

Deborah Susan Hill
05-31-2017, 12:31 AM
Here's the Landscape that is adjacent to the color swatch page, same brilliant, jewel toned paints.. I guess they can't make it here anymore..

Joan T
06-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Nice vibrant colors!!! Keep them coming.

Deborah Susan Hill
06-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Here's another page, this one done with Daniel Smith primatek watercolor paint in Amethyst, Sugilite and Sleeping beauty turquoise as well as some hand mixed azurite Watercolor paint that I made using powdered Azurite purchased from a Russian seller on Ebay. His ebay user name is shweller and he has a list of 60 different natural and man made pigments that he sells on ebay and the internet. He supplies Icon painters in Russia and fine artists around the globe. His High grade Azurite from Afghanistan makes a nice sparkling blue watercolor paint, but you can make oil paint, tempera, acrylic paint and pastels from powder pigments as well. If you use a lot of one particular color it is generally more cost effective to buy powder pigment and mix it up yourself. If you mention that Deb Hill sent you his info he will extend a 5% discount and the more you buy from him the larger your discount will be. His prices are the most reasonable I have found anywhere on the internet for powder pigments! If you enjoy mixing your own paint or making your own pastels he's a great source. You can get in touch with him through ebay and request his price list and go from there.I will be ordering more from him later this month and will show you my haul of pigments and How I mix them if anyone is interested once they show up here. As always, Deb Hill

Deborah Susan Hill
06-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Oh, buy me a pony, the color of the sun, with a flaxen mane and tail. The fleetest of foot, we'll charge among'st the hounds, full cry, across the starlit vale. (anon)

Nujabi watercolor sketchbook (only two more pages in this book.) Gansai tambi starlit colors, hand mixed watercolor paint, azurite and cobalt pigments. 81/2 X 11 inches. Micro glitter eye makeup mixed into the paint. The whole thing shimmers and sparkles. as always, Deb

Deborah Susan Hill
06-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Prize Bull painted from a photo reference in the animal and wildlife forum monthly challenge. PearlEx mica pigments hand mixed watercolor paint. Koh I Noor progresso woodless watercolor pencils.

eyepaint
06-16-2017, 08:24 PM
What a curious cow!

Love the saturation of colours in posts 49 and 50 :)

Deborah Susan Hill
06-16-2017, 10:32 PM
It's a Hereford apparently, white faced and recently judged at a state or county fair. White faced Herefords used to be the choice steers for prime beef, then Black angus took the market by storm. If you live in northern regions of the USA crossbreds between those two breeds are prevalent at the auctions. People here call them black Baldies!

Deborah Susan Hill
06-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Horse of a different color. HHMartin's hydrus liquid watercolors. Hand mixed micro glitter cobalt blue watercolor paint. Pigma Micron pen.