PDA

View Full Version : Breaching Orcas

Deborah Susan Hill
02-14-2017, 02:49 PM
12x14 watercolor on Schoellershammer 140lb 300gsm Esparto grass paper The paint was hand mixed using sinopia ultramarine powder pigment, micro glitter and Winsor&Newton irridescent mica medium. The black was Daniel Smith ivory black. The paints are mixed to a thick consistency with a palette knife and used just as any tube watercolor paint would be used. As always, Deb Hill

chammi kaiser
02-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Lovely Deb. Lots of nice action. I like it.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Why Thank you so much for the compliment. I've never attempted to paint any marine mammals before so I'm not sure if the anatomy is quite right. I think the larger of the two should have been a little longer bodied , but for a first effort it could have been worse I guess. I'll stick it in a folio in my studio and look at it again at a later date.. after I've done a few more and studied their skeletal and muscular structures some. I can likely find some decent anatomy site online that will help me with that. Anyway, thanks..:wave:

Painterofthesea
02-14-2017, 04:47 PM
very nice painting, watercolor ?

Deborah Susan Hill
02-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes, It's a watercolor. I mixed the paint myself from high grade powder pigments and micro glitter as well as Winsor&Newton Irridescent mica medium. Occasionally I dabble with the use of hand made watercolor paint just to see how it reacts in comparison to ready mixed professional grade watercolor paint like Daniel Smith or Lukas or Schmincke.. I enjoy the way these pigments tend to granulate and the sparkle and flash of the glitter and mica add an interesting dimension to it. . Andy Warhol used to mix diamond dust with some of his paint on occasion..but the glitter and mica work just as well.

tuscanny
02-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Lovely Deborah. One of my favorite animals!

KreativeK
02-15-2017, 10:43 AM
This has to be an all time fave of yours for me! Really great motion and movement of the very large creatures. Colors are perfect!

Triduana
02-15-2017, 04:01 PM
I like this, very creative. There is a great sense of movement in the animals and the water. I love that blue too. :)

Deborah Susan Hill
02-15-2017, 07:08 PM
The color was Ultramarine pigment by sinopia pigments out of the San francisco bay area as well as a tiny bit of primary red pigment also by Sinopia, mixed with Winsor & Newton Irridescent medium and a really dark blue micro glitter that is used in the cosmetic industry as eye makeup glitter. It is all lightfast and shimmers and shines when the light hits it right..

Schuee
02-16-2017, 12:18 PM
I love the "abstract" nature of the shapes in the painting. Well done!

Schuee
02-16-2017, 12:19 PM
I love the shapes in the painting. Well done!