PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Chief (x-post portraits)

ArtistMelinda
02-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Hi Folks
I've been gone quite awhile having the joyful cataract surgery with lens emplacement... but now able to adjust to wearing glasses for close up instead of far away. Anyway, I took this photo last year of a classic native American - a Cherokee chief from N.Dakota who now lives in Florida. Tried very hard to give a sense of his majesty. Maybe even give to him next week at a Pow Wow....

I am playing around with hard pastels on a self-made surface. Its masonite board with Golden acrylic ground for pastel. Very interesting challenge. The bigger challenge for me is the background - how can something so simple be so difficult? I love the dramatic Harley Brown strokes of color, but feared they would compete with the subject. So I sorta smeared some muted colors back there to cover the board color.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks for looking! Even more thanks for helping :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2017/978220-HLB-4.jpg

water girl
02-14-2017, 10:55 PM
You have conveyed his strength. I'm fascinated by your background. It does work well, adding subtle, but interesting texture.

stapeliad
02-15-2017, 12:09 PM
You definitely have been successful with the majesty.
I'm glad your eyes are ok.

pastel65
02-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Great job. Pam :wave:

Perry
02-16-2017, 02:30 PM
Great portrait and great colors.

As far as suggestions......to me the white feather on the left and the face are competing for attention. Just my opinion.

ArtistMelinda
02-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Yeah that white feather fluff - it was definitely part of his outfit... don't know if it would look right if I try to blue it or gray it down. A lot of you think the composition would have been better without it?

I tried white background and blue background and they just looked fake. One thing nice about this board is that you can literally wash it off!!!

Irishwhistler
02-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Very nicely rendered.

Irishwhistler

Charles Perera
02-18-2017, 12:20 PM
I liked it.

Charles

K Taylor-Green
02-28-2017, 08:18 PM
I like it just as it is. Nice job!