PDA

View Full Version : Here's another demonstration from Liz Heywood-Sullivan's book...

Jay-bird77
02-12-2017, 07:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2017/1190917-KIMG0130.JPG It's called "Into the Distance" Done on 140lb. Canson cp watercolor paper. I was in a jam and I had no surface to paint on so I took a discarded, failed painting and painted over it with Windsor&Newton water mixable oil color in titanium white, let it dry for like 2 weeks and then sanded the surface with 80 grit sandpaper and then a layer of fixative spray and viola....A excellent homemade pastel surface!! 9"1/2x13"1/2

Divasin
02-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Jay,
What we do for our art :thumbsup: very dedicated!

I haven't seen the original but yours is very vibrant and convincing.:)
Leslie

stapeliad
02-13-2017, 10:07 AM
This came out great...I wouldn't have guessed you could use pastel successfully over an oil ground. :thumbsup:

Jay-bird77
02-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Thank you both I really appreciate the compliments since I started using pastels about 2 and a half years ago and had never painted before and I'm learning everything on my own! I must be doing something right because I can actually tell that I'm progressing and little by little becoming more confident! I couldn't believe it either that the oil ground actually worked although I wouldn't recommend it. Even though I was able to get about 4-5 layer's in places the pastel became sticky and my Rembrandt's sometimes scratched as I applied some mark's.