PDA

View Full Version : Gondola

daydreamer
07-09-2001, 02:33 PM
Number 3. This one is cropped a bit because of my scanners limitations. I combined two separate photos to make this one. Tried making the candy-cane colored poles the focal point.

rsmak
07-09-2001, 03:40 PM
charming!
rosanna

Javier
07-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Of your four painting I vote for this one, "Gondola". But, please let me tell you why. "Gondola" -- very nice realism. "Rowboats" -- I don't even understand it. "Roses" -- to much color for me. And, "Lighthouse" could have been my choice because I really like lighthouse scenes. Daydreamer aren't you glad I'm not one of the jurors. :)

Your skill as an artist is obvious -- your use of colors and your compositions. No matter which painting you choose I wish you the best of luck (no not luck but use of talent).

BTW, only watercolor, type of paper, from photograph or plein air or fantasy?

Thanks, I have truly enjoyed the comparing of the four painting.

The Best,

j

daydreamer
07-09-2001, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a computer consultant/programmer by profession. The problem is that dealing with systems Logic is inversely proportional to the use of creativity. eg. the more I do with logic, the less creative I am.

Lately, I've been exploring ways to open up my creative brain. I have been taking Jazz Piano lessons for about four months now and have resorted back to watercolors as a form of expression.

Problem is, it's been roughly 18 years since I painted on a regular basis in order to build my career in computers. I only recently started painting again. It's good to see I still have my skills.

As far as my 'rowboat' painting goes...I just got tired of painting "real" pictures. I mean, to me, truely interesting art invovles intense color and use of value contrasts.

I find it EXTREMELY difficult to "loosen" up and let the painting materialize. I know "rowboats" won't be to every one's liking. But to me it's symbolic: It proves to me that I can be inventive and less "real" in art.:D

NorahT
07-09-2001, 06:08 PM
I like this one too - especially the water! Rowboats is the only one I have not seen, so will take a look now.

Mary Smith
07-09-2001, 09:57 PM
I love this one!!!! However I think your Gondolier is too tall. Compared to the people in front of him he looks like a giant.
Of course, I am only an opinionated amateur so get more info from others before changing him.

There is something "off" about the shadows too. If the light is off to the left the reflections of the buildings would less clear in the water, right? I am struggling with this myself, so I may be wrong, but I would love to hear from others. I love the buildings in this piece and the gondola and the poles in the water. Really different from things usually seen here.
Mary

T-Rex
07-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Hi DD,

I like this one too but its not my favorite. I guess its hard on the monitor but I found myself looking all over it and not directly at the poles.

Great logic as to why you prefer the rowboats over the others:D

So far I like the rowboats, haven't seen the roses yet (I've seen the other 3.) .....Karen

Ivyleaf
07-10-2001, 01:15 AM
I don't know if this is helpful bit or not, but I remember reading somewhere (who knows where now...lol) that whenever people are introduced into a painting, they automatically become the focal point. Maybe that's the point of having people in the painting, I don't know, I just read it somewhere ;) And I think it's true, cause my eyes go to the boat with the people in it. I like all of the ones you've posted, but I'd vote for the roses, they are my favorites :) .

literal
07-10-2001, 05:19 AM
I really like this painting but the roses are my preference. My eye gets stuck in the foreground of this picture.

All are superb - bold colours - good composition and all that. The intense colour of the roses really appeals. (But I'm a fan of strong colour)

I'll watch these threads with interest.

Mark

daydreamer
07-10-2001, 12:38 PM
All in all, I want to thank you all for your kind words.

after reading some of these posts for a while(not just mine but others over the past couple of months) I've come to understand what a supportive community this is for watercolorists.

I think sometimes the toughest thing in life is to put your "heart" aside and "LISTEN" to the viewpoints of others. That doesn't necessarily mean you agree with them. But to listen, understand, interpret, and formulate your own conclusion about what they are saying is better.

So far, I've tried putting my perspective into the "shoes" of those who have made comments and I've learned a bunch.

Thank you for helping me be a better artist.:D

Rod
07-12-2001, 06:08 AM
I nice painting, active scene, with bold use of colour. I find my eye does not rest on the poles it is drawn to the white frontage and then cannot decide which to look at. Your nearest reflections bend to the right they should come straight from the base towards the viewer,
Rod.

Leaflin
07-12-2001, 02:44 PM
I love the rich bold colours in this piece.
It is a serenade of primary colours.
The reflection in the water is execellent.