PDA

View Full Version : Grandads's Ships

vegaskip
02-05-2017, 04:47 AM
These are the ship served on by Edward George Bourne, (stoker).
L to R HMShips Iron Duke, Galatea, Icarus, Centurion, and in the distance Indefatigable in which he was unfortunately killed at Jutland.
This was a commission for a lady who wanted it for her children, his descendants. The skyline of Edinburgh in the background
Acrylic on canvas 30" X 14"
Jim

NeilF92
02-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Good job Jim.

gollum
02-05-2017, 06:59 AM
That is superb :)

RegisR
02-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Very, very nice painting. It has that element of excellent detail, with a lot to look at, the variety of both sail and steam lets the viewer deduce, roughly that time period of transition. The tugboat (?) moving across in the foreground gives it action and brings me into the picture. Then the background, with the clouds add that depth and distance. I really like this one and I'll bet your client was very pleased!

I have to add, that this painting is a really good example of fulfilling the mission of entertaining the viewer. The kind of painting that your eye wanders all over, taking it in, versus the quick glance

:thumbsup:

vegaskip
02-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Thank you all for commenting. The boat in the fore ground is a Steam Pinnace used as a tender to the carrying vessel. They could be armed and used in actions away from the 'mother ship' usually had a Midshipman i/c.
Jim

Trumper
02-05-2017, 10:49 AM
The new owners should be over the moon ,another brilliant bit of work. :)