PDA

View Full Version : Mi-Teintes Touch does anyone test it lightfastness?

JPQ
02-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Mi-Teintes Touch does anyone test it lightfastness?

JPQ
02-01-2017, 11:27 PM
I have pad. i dont know if i buy more but if not have problems i can think it.

charcoalspastels
02-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Hi, JPQ

I use Canson MT paper a lot for my soft pastel works and I too am interested in knowing more about the Canson MT Touch paper. Since I work on landscapes sometimes I feel the need to put on more than two layers and I was keen on knowing reviews about Canson MT Touch paper.

Manju Panchal

contumacious
02-03-2017, 09:57 AM
According to the comments in this WC thread, the MT papers do fade. Some more than others. Perhaps the MT "Touch" papers are more lightfast?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967031

From one of the posts in the link above:
...The two problems with Canson Mi-Tientes is that the colors of the papers fade terribly!!! (except for the palest colors!) and it is not a rag paper and has wood pulp as a significant amount of it's body! I know of several excellent pastelists who had used Canson until they discovered this fact. One of them uses the Canson Mi-T only to back his paintings since he learned of this fact and checked it out with fade tests himself! Another friend of mine from North Dakota came into town one weekend some years ago with her gorgeous paintings to show at our Kansas City Plaza Art Fair. She showed me one of her paintings and said that she covered up the Canson totally. I pointed out alllllll the places I saw her burgundy red paper showing thru the pastels. And then I showed her the test pieces that John Roush had passed on to me after his tests which confirmed that the paper faded.

JPQ
02-03-2017, 12:31 PM
i know what reqular one is sayed. i hope this is expction. btw i very likely going use mainly ingress and watercolour paper maybe Tiziano if dont have such problems.

JPQ
02-03-2017, 12:36 PM
this paper is sanded what i understanded. and i hope expection becouse its pricey paper here where i live and i only get pads easily i feel or 10 of same colour. mt-touch is only what i want know reqular one i allready know and i actually dont like how reqular one feels.

DAK723
02-03-2017, 03:25 PM
According to the comments in this WC thread, the MT papers do fade. Some more than others. Perhaps the MT "Touch" papers are more lightfast?

From one of the posts in the link above:...The two problems with Canson Mi-Tientes is that the colors of the papers fade terribly!!! (except for the palest colors!) and it is not a rag paper and has wood pulp as a significant amount of it's body! I know of several excellent pastelists who had used Canson until they discovered this fact. One of them uses the Canson Mi-T only to back his paintings since he learned of this fact and checked it out with fade tests himself! Another friend of mine from North Dakota came into town one weekend some years ago with her gorgeous paintings to show at our Kansas City Plaza Art Fair. She showed me one of her paintings and said that she covered up the Canson totally. I pointed out alllllll the places I saw her burgundy red paper showing thru the pastels. And then I showed her the test pieces that John Roush had passed on to me after his tests which confirmed that the paper faded.

The comments above and probably any others regarding Mi-Tientes paper are about the traditional Canson Mi-Tientes and not the new Mi-Tientes Touch. It's a fairly new paper, so any lightfastness info will probably be "theoretical." If you frame under glass and keep paintings out of direct sunlight, you really should not worry about fading. If and when papers fade, it is so slow and gradual you probably won't notice or care. That's just my opinion, of course, and I know others feel quite differently about lightfastness.

Don

Mike L
02-04-2017, 04:51 PM

From one of the posts in the link above:
...The two problems with Canson Mi-Tientes is that the colors of the papers fade terribly!!! (except for the palest colors!) and it is not a rag paper and has wood pulp as a significant amount of it's body! I know of several excellent pastelists who had used Canson until they discovered this fact. One of them uses the Canson Mi-T only to back his paintings since he learned of this fact and checked it out with fade tests himself! Another friend of mine from North Dakota came into town one weekend some years ago with her gorgeous paintings to show at our Kansas City Plaza Art Fair. She showed me one of her paintings and said that she covered up the Canson totally. I pointed out alllllll the places I saw her burgundy red paper showing thru the pastels. And then I showed her the test pieces that John Roush had passed on to me after his tests which confirmed that the paper faded.

Amazing, isn't it, how some artists are perfectly happy with the paper until they discover one not-new fact (wood pulp and not rag) causes them claim it is no longer acceptable. Hmm.

Every paper will fade when exposed to UV whether direct sunlight, indoor lighting, or laboratory testing. I agree with Don on this one. Protect and display the work as intended and the problem will probably never be detected.

However, if one's works are so sought-after and full of artistic perfection that fading is reprehensible to the work, one should not use colored paper as a ground. Yes?

JustinM
02-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Amazing, isn't it, how some artists are perfectly happy with the paper until they discover one not-new fact (wood pulp and not rag) causes them claim it is no longer acceptable. Hmm.

Every paper will fade when exposed to UV whether direct sunlight, indoor lighting, or laboratory testing. I agree with Don on this one. Protect and display the work as intended and the problem will probably never be detected.

However, if one's works are so sought-after and full of artistic perfection that fading is reprehensible to the work, one should not use colored paper as a ground. Yes?

This.