PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging crinkled glassine

Finvarra
01-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Hi folks, have been away from pastel art for a while due to various reasons, but have got my pastels out again, plus some enthusiasm! My studio is in an unheated outbuilding, hasn't been used for two winters, and my papers are in a cupboard, all wrapped up in plastic. I just opened two,pads of Pastelmat, which were wrapped in sealed cellophane. The cover was a bit buckled, but the paper is flat and dry. However, the sheets of glassine between each sheet of pastelmat are completely rippled and crinkled. I want to keep all these new paintings I'm going to do :crossfingers: in the pad as we may be moving later this year, but the glassine will mark the pastel when the pad is closed.

Anyone got any ideas how to flatten the glassine whilst not removing it from the pad please?

TIA
Lesley

contumacious
01-28-2017, 02:42 PM
It is pretty difficult to flatten it once it has sharp folds and wrinkles and as you know those uneven spots can disturb your pastels.

The only thing I could think of was to iron it with a piece of cardboard underneath and a piece of cotton fabric or paper on top. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work since you won't want to use it as is.

I think I would probably remove the damaged ones and insert a new piece of glassine or better yet some Kromekote ( glossy coated commercial printing paper ). I buy my Kromekote at a local printing press for 20 cents a sheet and it is a much better and longer lasting protective cover for pastels. You can use them over and over if you take care of them. Some of my sheets are several years old. They protect the pastels better and lift off less than glassine and simply wipe clean with a dry cloth when you are ready to frame, to be used on the next painting.

Finvarra
01-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Tried ironing it, and it didn't work, in fact made it worse. I emailed the pastelmat people, who,were very helpful, but the end game is to buy some tracing paper or other similar thing and use it instead of the glassine sheets. Shame, I've got four pads, and every sheet is wrinkled! Ah well, at least the pastelmat sheets were unharmed.
Lesley

contumacious
01-28-2017, 04:54 PM
As I recall glassine is pretty sensitive to moisture, probably what caused the distortion.

You won't find a better cover sheet for pastels than a chrome coated high gloss white printshop paper. Kromekote is one brand of such paper. If there is a small printing shop near you that has actual offset printing presses, not copy machines or inkjets, you might try calling one to see if they have any.

Finvarra
01-28-2017, 06:39 PM
In the wilds of Scotland here, still use stone tablets ;) . Sure I'll be able to find something, thanks for your reply. Strange how the sheets were affected even though still,sealed in cellophane wrapping, when other papers in the same condition had no,damage whatsoever :confused:

Cheers
Lesley

Devonlass
01-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Did you know you can buy rolls of glassine on line. Though I don't know if they are readily available in the U.K.

Finvarra
01-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Yes, you can get it here Devonlass, thanks.

Thing is now, I have started a painting today on the pastelmat, and I am finding that the ripple marks in the glassine have transfer to the pastelmat in grooves, which are showing up in the pastel :( . I've just checked all four of the pads, and all the sheets are marked. In the middle of a sky, so will do a bit more tomorrow and see if it shows through a thicker layer of pastel.

Lesley

Dea
01-30-2017, 11:10 PM
When I got my first pad of pastelmat it as the same as yours is, the glassine had rippled and marked the paper. It is still usable just a bit of a pain,
Deanna

Finvarra
01-31-2017, 12:32 PM
I've taken the pastelmat sheet out of the pad and taped it to a board, and over a couple,of,day it,doesn't' look so bad, maybe the atmosphere has helped it smooth out a bit? As long as I put the pastel on thickly the marks don't show so much unless you look very carefully at the paler colours, where Imthink the light is reflecting off the pastel,grains. Will,assess better when the picture is finished.

Lesley