PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Burlington Northern - 'Red, White and Blue'.

RegisR
01-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Just got out of nearly a week in the hospital! I took on a new work, of a slide that I had purchased, with a pretty radical perspective. The title refers to not only the American flag on the locomotive, but as will be seen later, coincidence or not, the background has a white water tower in the background with red and blue 55 gallon drums in the foreground, right behind the locomotive.

Admittedly, a lot of tweaking and erasing! To get the pencil lines to show up, I really had to rework the contrast and brightness. Of course, that makes the wrinkles in the paper show up, but the drawing only serves to transfer the image to a canvas.

This will be another large work at 48" x 3x".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2017/1682843-BN_012217.jpg

shadwell
01-22-2017, 08:29 PM
love the Burlington livery the green and white should be a good contrast

RegisR
01-22-2017, 11:06 PM
love the Burlington livery the green and white should be a good contrast

:thumbsup:

That's what makes American locomotives so intriguing! From the Chessie Yellow-Black-and-Red, to the Rock Island late White and Blue scheme and so many others.

vegaskip
01-23-2017, 04:47 AM
Looks good, but "measure twice, cut once," '48" X 3"?
Jim

RegisR
01-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Looks good, but "measure twice, cut once," '48" X 3"?
Jim

I don't know, yet the final dimensions. I let the drawing size itself and it usually ends up, being a custom size as a painting. Admittedly, I had trouble sizing my work to a standard size and found it much easier to oversize the paper and as mentioned, let the drawing size itself, then trim to the final dimensions as needed.

Another reason, is that I disliked painting on pre-stretched canvas and now work exclusively from a canvas roll. It is much easier to transfer the complex work onto a hard flat surface, with the carbon paper from the drawing as well.

How do you do it?

Chas McHugh
01-23-2017, 06:06 AM
It is much easier to transfer the complex work onto a hard flat surface, with the carbon paper from the drawing as well.

Stretched canvas on a drawing board with reference books underneath to protect the canvas, and give you something to lean on without fear of damage. That is exactly how I work.

Canvas can at any time be moved to an easel for review or further work.

From my recent visit to the National Gallery; most historic works of art were painted onto wood - oak in particular.

NeilF92
01-23-2017, 07:06 AM
BII-IG canvas for a BII-IG machine ! Looking forward to seeing this emerge .:)

vegaskip
01-23-2017, 08:00 AM
I don't know, yet the final dimensions. I let the drawing size itself and it usually ends up, being a custom size as a painting. Admittedly, I had trouble sizing my work to a standard size and found it much easier to oversize the paper and as mentioned, let the drawing size itself, then trim to the final dimensions as needed.

Another reason, is that I disliked painting on pre-stretched canvas and now work exclusively from a canvas roll. It is much easier to transfer the complex work onto a hard flat surface, with the carbon paper from the drawing as well.

How do you do it?

Once again 48inches X 3 inches!? I know it's a typo.
Here's one at just 12" X 3"

When I use a canvas it is usually bought on a stretcher and like Chas, packed with books for drawing, ususully freehand direct.
I mostly paint watercolours these days and just use pads mostly A3 or smaller, no preferred brand.
Jim

RegisR
01-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Jim,

Now I know the technique for stretcher painting (books underneath to support the surface). I didn't think of that, but still managed to pull off the few I did, three years ago.

Regarding the size, you may note the 48" x 3x" That little 'x' is a variable, so it could be 32", 34" or who knows? It will depend on how it turns out, when it's finished.

Finally, both you and Chas, you guys must be very, very good, to draw out your subjects, freehand, directly on the canvas! My subjects demand a lot of corrections, due to their size and complexity. I do a lot of erasing!

Cheers!

RegisR
01-23-2017, 03:08 PM
BII-IG canvas for a BII-IG machine ! Looking forward to seeing this emerge .:)

Me too! This is a tough one, perspective wise and I try to extend my skills and ability, with each new work. A challenge always awaits!

RegisR
01-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Made more progress over the last few days. So far, so good and I believe I'm done, with maybe minor adjustments left. Now to work on the surroundings. It's actually 54" wide, by 34" tall. The height will remain the same, but it will likely be shortened, as that's all the width that exists in the original, so still not sure of the width, but ten inches is the guess, making it 44" inches wide.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2017/1682843-BN_012517.jpg

RegisR
01-26-2017, 05:04 PM
The sketch is done! Again, forgive the dark contrast and brightness. It was the only way to bring it out. I measured it and it's going to be 54" x 34". I will add light cirrus clouds to the sky as well. Tomorrow, I will be transferring it to the canvas with carbon paper, inking over the pencil. Believe it or not, the water tower, was a lot of work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2017/1682843-BN_012617_A.jpg

Shamrock15
01-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Really nice drawing on this. Wanna see it done!

shadwell
01-27-2017, 11:47 AM
the water tower was really worth all the hard work , it compliments the loco perfectly

snapspinner
01-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I think the water tower makes a great addition and it will act as a supporting actor to the trains lead role. It will be worth the effort it took/takes.

faminz
01-28-2017, 12:41 AM
Love the perspective... Will be watching this one!!

RegisR
01-30-2017, 12:59 PM
the water tower was really worth all the hard work , it compliments the loco perfectly

The water tower and the drums, were much smaller in the original! I quadrupled their size, just to balance out the locomotive. A lot of blank space would've resulted on the right.

I think the water tower makes a great addition and it will act as a supporting actor to the trains lead role. It will be worth the effort it took/takes.

Agreed! I also added some far off detail to the building: roll up doors, a partially obscured tractor trailer and am deciding on more subtle detail on the far right side, just to make it interesting.

Love the perspective... Will be watching this one!!

Thanks! I painted the sky on Saturday and then I transferred it to canvas yesterday (Sunday, on my side of the Int'l Time Line), inking over the pencil and transferring it to the sky with carbon paper. I crafted a support board to avoid smudging the sky with the carbon paper, but still ended up with some very minor (but annoying smudges).

I'd love to be able to 'print' the ink drawing, onto a canvas, that has had the sky pre-painted on it. It's tough to paint the sky around the details of something, complex like that water tower. Any suggestions, would be helpful!

Support Board to keep hand-forearm-elbow off've surface of painting, while the carbon paper is taped onto the painting (smudge avoidance!):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2017/1682843-BN_012717_A.jpg

Carbon Paper - laid out and carefully taped:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2017/1682843-BN_012717_B.jpg

Smudges - I was somewhat successful, using paper towels, soaked in a little water to 'scrub' these off, but have to see if they affected the overall coloration. Because it wet the paint, they looked like 'light' spots in the sky. They looked like they would darken up again (because wet acrylic, is always lighter, than the dry result). I'll look at it, at lunch time, because I either redo the sky, or get really creative, with clouds!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2017/1682843-BN_012717_C.jpg

NeilF92
01-30-2017, 06:00 PM
I have no bright idea to avoid smudging from the carbon paper . I use much the same method with the drawing on tracing paper . Then use a small A4 piece of carbon paper . I use masking tape to hold one or two of the tracing paper edges in place . This means I can lift it and carefully move the carbon paper to the next section . I use an "H" pencil to go over the trace and imprint to the canvas . Maybe one difference is that I tend to paint the sky over the transferred outline but thin enough to see the outline or a key part of it . Then it's a case of developing the body / outline of the subject. I will again paint over and renew the outline or parts of it several times using the tracing paper till it all comes together .

napier
01-30-2017, 08:57 PM
to stop the smuggling use Fixative workable matt spray and leave it for a good 12 hours and you will have no problems with the smuggling.

NeilF92
01-31-2017, 06:27 AM
ref my post above - i.e. I don't tape the carbon paper down - it's free at all times to be moved under the partially taped tracing paper .

RegisR
01-31-2017, 08:16 AM
I have no bright idea to avoid smudging from the carbon paper . I use much the same method with the drawing on tracing paper . Then use a small A4 piece of carbon paper . I use masking tape to hold one or two of the tracing paper edges in place . This means I can lift it and carefully move the carbon paper to the next section . I use an "H" pencil to go over the trace and imprint to the canvas . Maybe one difference is that I tend to paint the sky over the transferred outline but thin enough to see the outline or a key part of it . Then it's a case of developing the body / outline of the subject. I will again paint over and renew the outline or parts of it several times using the tracing paper till it all comes together .

Neil, thanks for the thoughts on this. The problem I have, is I usually use, three different colors for the sky (top to bottom fading). It's always difficult to remix that 'exact' color, but recently, I came upon a method for preserving the acrylic paint on the stiff paper plates I use. I put a layer of saran wrap on top of the mixed paint and let it lay on top. It's messy pulling it off, but the paint stays perfectly usable, even the next day.

RegisR
01-31-2017, 08:18 AM
to stop the smuggling use Fixative workable matt spray and leave it for a good 12 hours and you will have no problems with the smuggling.

I've got the workable matt spray, that I use on the pencil drawings to stop the smudging, but I've got to ask a couple of questions. First, will it smudge on the matt spray area? And if it does, is it easily 'erasable' without any trace?

RegisR
01-31-2017, 08:19 AM
ref my post above - i.e. I don't tape the carbon paper down - it's free at all times to be moved under the partially taped tracing paper .

Yes, that is a problem, as even taping it, produces a smudge, but right now, I only have the small sheets and have to use multiple sheets, for the large works. They do sell the carbon paper on a continuous roll and that might help...

vegaskip
01-31-2017, 09:22 AM
I have used White 'carbon paper', my wife uses it in her Quilt making. It might be worth while asking in a craft shop. Only used it once, but I don't remember it smudging.
Jim

RegisR
01-31-2017, 10:17 AM
I have used White 'carbon paper', my wife uses it in her Quilt making. It might be worth while asking in a craft shop. Only used it once, but I don't remember it smudging.
Jim

Jim, great suggestion and while I was researching carbon paper, on Sunday, I found out that Sally's actually sells it in different colors, including blue! Of course, I only found out about this product, after the fact! :rolleyes:

A lot of very pertinent advice, given here and thank you all, I am going to research and find the best method that will work for me!

http://www.dickblick.com/products/saral-wax-free-transfer-paper/

RegisR
02-02-2017, 10:27 PM
What a crazy few days! Fixing the sky, with a wet paper towel, produced a new fade effect, that wasn't exactly planned, so I decided to do a full cirrus sky covering, from a photo I took of the sky. I started streaking the entire canvas, with a variety of brushes and then added scattered cumulus. I made the cirrus radiate from close to the center, outwards.

I must confess, it was stressful! I thought I was ruining this huge canvas, after all the trouble of creating a three layered sky fade. I was bummed, the whole weekend. So I had some reliable friends, one of them, an avid photographer with an eye for perspective, color and balance.

I told them, I wanted their honest opinion, if it was bad, then tell me. If it looked too busy or unrealistic, then tell me, I'm good with it, I'll start over! What I got, was positive reviews from everyone! They liked it! It was such a relief. The painting was clipped to a white board in my cubicle at work and I was surprised, when a young coworker, came up and wanted to tell me, how much she liked the sky and the cloud effects!

I'd still rather be self critical, than not, because it forces me to uphold myself to a higher standard. I am my toughest critic and I seek to constantly try new effects, lighting, angles and perspectives. After work, took it to the studio at my shop and started on the locomotive. Here is the latest WIP pic, of the sky and the upper part of the locomotive (black). The lower part, of course is green and white...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2017/1682843-BN__020217_2.jpg

linda28
02-02-2017, 10:33 PM
oh my what a great hard drawing. its already amazing!

NeilF92
02-03-2017, 05:49 AM
You're doing fine . I've seen a couple of skies like that just last year . I never realised you could get such closely spaced striations but I have the photos to prove it.

RegisR
02-03-2017, 08:13 AM
oh my what a great hard drawing. its already amazing!

Thank you, the hard drawing was erased many, many times, before I was satisfied that it could go on to the canvas.

RegisR
02-03-2017, 08:17 AM
You're doing fine . I've seen a couple of skies like that just last year . I never realised you could get such closely spaced striations but I have the photos to prove it.

Ah, so you take random pictures of the sky too? :) Of course, up here in the High Desert, we sometimes have spectacular sunrises and sunsets, but often, I'll just take pictures of regular cloud formations during daylight hours.

The clouds I have in the painting, were never in the original. This is the first time, I'm using one of my daytime cloud photos in a painting. One, would think it's easy to paint clouds, but we all know better!

NeilF92
02-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Yep . I can rarely resist an interesting skyscape . The little digi camera takes good photos and they are a great reference source .

Trumper
02-03-2017, 02:05 PM
I love skies and take loads of photos of skies ,clouds.We have BIG skies here where i live in the UK and lots of interesting weather fronts all in a small size and time scale.I did worry about your clouds in your painting but i have to remember we have different skies here in the UK so the ones in your painting look strange to me.
Looking really good so far :)

RegisR
02-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I love skies and take loads of photos of skies ,clouds.We have BIG skies here where i live in the UK and lots of interesting weather fronts all in a small size and time scale.I did worry about your clouds in your painting but i have to remember we have different skies here in the UK so the ones in your painting look strange to me.
Looking really good so far :)

Thanks! I think our artwork demands interesting skies and it's good that we pay, such close attention to this aspect of our art!

:thumbsup:

shadwell
02-03-2017, 10:23 PM
a photo I took on the way to the NEC classic car show proves anything can go for skies

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2017/208070-_DSC6010.jpg

RegisR
02-04-2017, 06:29 PM
a photo I took on the way to the NEC classic car show proves anything can go for skies

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2017/208070-_DSC6010.jpg

Wow! That's a really radical mix of clouds and colors. It wouldn't look believable in a painting, but there it is!

RegisR
02-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Trying to get that 'perfect' Burlington Northern color, created a huge amount of paint in the paper plate. So it was, I better use it all! I brightened the side of the cab and the outer frame rail, just to differentiate it, from the sides and nose (which are just a little darker). Of course, have to add details and weathering, but it beats trying to reproduce it later on!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_020417.jpg

Shamrock15
02-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Love the progress on the piece.

Shad - that is a stunning sunset!

RegisR
02-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Got a lot done on this piece. About two hours a day and making a lot of progress. The details are what's taking up, much of that time! Again, this is 54" x 35" and for reference, you can see the medium size paint knife at the bottom.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021017.jpg

Close up of detail.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021017_A.jpg

NeilF92
02-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Building nicely.

RegisR
02-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Thanks Neil. Almost done with the front end. I used to paint around all the cables and hoses on the front snow plow, but now, because of seeing how many who draw directly on the canvas, I add the small details afterwards. This helps with the overall consistency of the surface and improves the appearance, because there aren't a bunch of 'start-stop' brush strokes around those little details. Added the lights and shadows as well (a very dark brown acrylic marker, made this a lot easier than using a brush.

The chain swinging on the front is one of my trademarks, that I put in many of my rail paintings.

Thanks guys!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021117.jpg

RegisR
02-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Finished the front and now working on the front truck (with a lot left to do!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021417_.jpg

Trumper
02-15-2017, 06:45 AM
Love it ,very 3d :)

NeilF92
02-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Good work.

RegisR
02-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Trumper and Neil. I was telling my shop partner, last night, that none of these are like doing a Bob Ross painting on TV (Bob was a great artist), but he had a lot of leeway in his landscapes and you can't get away with much on a locomotive.

Which makes it kind of stressful. The trucks and wheels, have to come out, ever bit as good as the rest! I use a remote monitor, mounted on the wall in front of my drafting/painting table and then, with the laptop, zoom in on the area I'm working on, so I can capture those fine details (which are pretty obvious on a large painting!).

I always assume, that someone, who knows the subject well, be it a railfan, a model train guy or an actual employee or former employee of a railroad will view this at one time and the last thing I want, is for them to point out something amiss, missing, done wrong or just completely screwed up. It has to look both artistic and correct.

I don't want it to look like an illustration, nearly photographically correct, but I do want it to look good. I never take it for granted.

snapspinner
02-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Looking great so far. I agree with your thoughts on getting the details "right". To a viewer who knows the lines and details of an intricate mechanical subject, getting them right makes all the difference.

RegisR
02-15-2017, 09:28 PM
Looking great so far. I agree with your thoughts on getting the details "right". To a viewer who knows the lines and details of an intricate mechanical subject, getting them right makes all the difference.

Thanks and see the new post below with a follow up.

:)

RegisR
02-15-2017, 09:33 PM
After work, I went to the shop to work in the studio, finishing the front truck and the wheels. Admittedly, I do an 'ok' job on the trucks, most of the time, but it is an area that needs improvement and I decided, that it had to be the most competent job I've done to date.

Two pics (overall and close up).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021517_A.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021517_B.jpg

Trumper
02-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Even the best make mistakes and ask the professionals for advice :) When the great Terence Cuneo painted this one he took the painting to the signalmen who told him which trains and engines were in the wrong place :) http://www.originalrailwayposters.co.uk/product/clapham-junction_cuneo

RegisR
02-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Even the best make mistakes and ask the professionals for advice :) When the great Terence Cuneo painted this one he took the painting to the signalmen who told him which trains and engines were in the wrong place :) http://www.originalrailwayposters.co.uk/product/clapham-junction_cuneo

Couldn't get to the link at work, but I will check out, when I get home and thank you.

RegisR
02-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Today was getting the rails done. I use pinstriping tape, available at most professional auto paint stores, but on my last work, I had a very small amount of 'bleed' through on the edges, so I decided to try a different technique.

After laying the tape down and thoroughly massaging it down into the canvas, I then dry brushed along the edges with the desired color. Just enough to seal the edges, but not enough to 'wet' it or get it to bleed through. After letting it dry, I then laid the color down and got no bleed through at all.

If you want to do, long, perfectly straight lines (especially on a big painting!), this worked really well for me!

Sealing the edges, both top and bottom. As dry as possible, using the tape to wipe the excess off.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2017/1682843-dry_brush_seal.jpg

Ready to lay the color down, after letting it dry. This is the edge of the rail, a very thin edge and really difficult to paint straight by hand, thus the tape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2017/1682843-Dry_brush_ready_.jpg

The final result of the full size 54" x 35" canvas. So far, so good.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021817_Full_Size.jpg

RegisR
02-18-2017, 10:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021817_2.jpg

RegisR
02-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Today, was the "Water Tower". My awesome wife, got me sick again, so been battling the flu too, after being hospitalized for blood clots in my lungs and an irregular heart beat (I was down for three months, before they figured it out, ten visits later!).

But gotta paint! I went in, sick with the flu, coughing and prepared to do the second most difficult part of this painting, the water tower. Because it's so big and such a prominent feature in the painting, it has to look good, as good as the main subject (it's at least six to eight inches high). I decided to use the pinstriping tape again, to do the legs of the tower, to both save time and get them perfectly straight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_021917_Full.jpg

Trumper
02-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Well done and i hope you are soon feeling better.I find painting takes your mind off things and helps relax.Well done again.

NeilF92
02-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Good idea with the tape . Glad to see you are pressing on regardless !

RegisR
02-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Thanks all, I'd love to paint today, but the shop is actually an office in an industrial center, that I rent out and it's close to work, but a good ten miles from home! I'm on Doctor ordered bed rest for three days (bronchitis), but am looking forward to getting back into it, by Thursday.

By the way, the tape is highly flexible around curves and easily worked. There are three widths available, with the smallest width, an 1/8 of an inch. Very helpful when you have to have complex or parallel lines, that have to be just right, beforehand and admittedly, don't trust yourself to make them exactly like you want them! Nice to have when you need it and available at any good professional auto paint supply store. I use the 3M green tape brand.

RegisR
02-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Really close to having it done. Have to add a couple of sets of rails in the background, ties, plates and spikes to the rails in the foreground, then the top layer of gravel afterwards. Of course, add minor details to the groundwork, but I never over detail that, because who looks at the dirt?

The gravel was a lot work. Spent hours today, painting a gazillion dots, but if that's what it takes, then so be it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2017/1682843-BN_022417_.jpg

NeilF92
02-25-2017, 06:24 AM
Looking good - I like that soft green finish on the loco.

vegaskip
02-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Coming along well, only comment , and it may be the camera angle, but to me the wheels look angled in at the top (opposit of toed in).
Jim

RegisR
02-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Looking good - I like that soft green finish on the loco.

Thank you, I used that finish to emphasize the panels and shape of the locomotive. It helps the viewer delineate the overall details of the object. I actually learned that from the book "Conversations in Paint".

RegisR
02-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Coming along well, only comment , and it may be the camera angle, but to me the wheels look angled in at the top (opposit of toed in).
Jim

You are correct, there is a 'toe in' at the top, but that was done deliberately, because the locomotive is tilted by a few degrees away from the viewer and I set up the wheels with the same tilt. In person, it looks normal, but the cell phone camera, does exaggerate the effect.