PDA

View Full Version : Rolling in for a sneak pass

snapspinner
01-18-2017, 03:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2017/1891086-Blue_Angels_F4_Phantom_small.jpg

The inspiration for this came from a couple of places. It started while searching for something completely different I came across an image of an old plastic model set from Revell that featured four F4 phantoms from the Blue Angels. I remembered building that set with my dad when I was a kid. I donít think we did a particularly good job on the build, I distinctly remember lots of sticky fingerprints in navy blue paint.

Anyway, while that memory was still rattling around in my head, I read a story that the USAF was flying itís last F4 phantom mission. They havenít been in active service for years but in December 2016 they flew the final unmanned drone mission. The remainder of the F4ís the Air Force owns will be consigned to use a ground targets. Kind of sad really but thatís the way it goes with old military airplanes. That story got me started with this artwork.

It was created using mostly Polychromos colored pencils on Strathmore illustration board. The image is 11Ē x 14Ē. It depicts the Blue Angel number 5 which is the aircraft of lead solo pilot.

This is cross posted in the colored pencil forum as well.

NeilF92
01-18-2017, 04:38 PM
One of the Phantom's better angles . You could afford to strengthen the blue on the aircraft but it's a fine colour pencil piece as it is.

Shamrock15
01-18-2017, 08:24 PM
I like your metal work on this. Love the beast!

Trumper
01-19-2017, 08:08 AM
I loved watching the phantom,nice work with the pencils :)

snapspinner
01-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone!

Neil - I see what your saying. I think the blues view as a little stronger in the actual artwork, but I agree they could stand to be strengthened a bit. Thank you for the input!

snapspinner
01-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone!

Neil - I see what your saying. I think the blues view as a little stronger in the actual artwork, but I agree they could stand to be strengthened a bit. Thank you for the input!

RegisR
01-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Really nice depiction! I like the angle and having attended, many, many airshows, the feel of a Phantom at speed, banking in, is spot on! Great job!