PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Manor

DreyDay
01-10-2017, 01:34 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-10-2017/1994252_Hampton_Manor.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hampton Manor
Year Created: 2016
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x24 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted the house based off a photograph, using a 64 square grid to be able to match the house from the photo onto the painting. I painted everything else from scratch, using my imagination.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
1. What suggestions can you make to make the foliage and landscape look more realistic, because in my opinion it looks too much like from a story book.

2. How are the colors harmonizing?

3. Overall impression?

4. Other suggestions?

~JMW~
01-10-2017, 02:04 AM
To me it feels like the house and bridge are leaning in opposite directions - but mainly the bridge is off in perspective..and maybe too large ..
The color of the grass by the bridge seems off , compared to the more natural color on the right side grass.
The sky color feels a bit strong/overpowering..

DreyDay
01-10-2017, 02:23 AM
I can't believe I missed that: the grass color being inconsistent. I actually tried toning down the sky color but I guess it still was too vivid. I'm glad to finally hear some honest feedback.

SilverSwallow
01-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Not a bad effort overall, you have done nice work with the building so good job there. :)

There are a few things you might consider to improve it overall though.
As previously mentioned, your perspective is off. You seem to have 2 different camera focal lengths in play here. The one you used to copy the photo of the building, and then your own from imagination.
While you can have objects that have individual perspective, you can only have one focal length or Field of View.
Learning and understanding perspective is a core skill in everything you do, so I suggest some study in this area.

Composition: There is a lot of visual weight on the left hand side of the image and it feels like it would tip over. I think you need to rework the left to add some more balance.
The V shape in the path is both leading the eye to the house and away to the distance, I feel it could do with only one direction or one that simply leads to the house.

Values: Your values are not there yet. Its seems pretty flat and its lacking a strong sense of lighting. Creating a simple value statement and deciding on what to want to tell as a story in this image will help with these decisions.

While there is some good detail work and attention to the trees etc, I think spending some more time to separate out the various materials such as the ground, grass, stone bridge etc will help this a lot. Right now they feel like they have been painted with the same attention, and not treated as though they have behave different under the same light-which they do.

I hope this helps, your doing some good work, and a few more hours spent on learning some more will help you achieve a much higher standard. Keep pushing yourself, and good luck.:wave:

DreyDay
01-10-2017, 11:10 AM
This place is getting me some honest feedback. Thank you SilverSwallow, I will definitely take heed and do some more studying. I think I need to take a step back and study some more reference material for plants and lighting too.

La_
01-10-2017, 12:37 PM
greyscale for values referencing aid

lovely work, the house is spectacular, but yes, the perspective of the bridge and fence jar the viewer

la

billmahler
01-11-2017, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't touch this.
It has a lovely fantasy look to it, and in that fantasy world, things can be out of perspective.
The colors are fine.
Get a color wheel on amazon for a few dollars.
It will tell you which colors are likely to harmonize or contrast with others.

Ava Jarvis
01-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Great job on rendering the house! I love the sheen on the windows—and I think subtle brick work as well?

Also the colors here are so vibrant. I like your tree greens in particular.

You say that it looks too much like a "story book"—do you mean that it looks flat? If so, I agree with the others that the two different perspectives are fighting each other—I think that's what contributes in large part to the flatness.

As you mention you're looking for more realism:

- the house feels like it's in a different level of reality than its surroundings, if that perhaps makes sense. Like, I feel that the softness of the surroundings doesn't mesh well with the illustrative-style of the house. I'm not sure these are the right words, my apologies.

- if you're looking to portray depth, consider looking at reference photographs of landscapes that recede into the background. As they wander away, they get less defined and less saturated. I think doing some more of both can help with getting some real depth into that lovely golden-read mountain and sky.

- you're using red and green, maybe almost red and green/yellow-green/blue-green. This is a little harder for me to deal with since I mostly know of the blue-orange warm/cool dynamic, but I think red works for a warm and green for a cool here. There are color wheel reference sheets out there for free, I don't suggest purchasing a color wheel when you can just google for "Color Theory Quick Reference Poster paper leaf" and get a very nice PDF. (It's my desktop background for quick reference >_>)

- The grass is a very vivid green and looks a bit unrealistic. Maybe a better green that befits the warmth of the picture?

I desaturated your picture, reduced the size, and blurred it (Gaussian blur at 25.0 in GIMP). This method makes it easier to analyze the composition of a picture—and you can see more easily imbalance, arrangement, and shapes (including negative shapes). An alternative to scaling down and blurring is to sit back, squint, and look at your picture—your eyelashes do the blurring then.

Hope this helps. Your picture looks inviting and warm and I want to stay in that house and walk down that path and lean on that bridge. I love that.

Bitbrush
01-16-2017, 02:16 PM
I like what you have done. Nice colors. Very stylistic, which is to your favor. My only comment would be that the opening to the background on the left competes for focus with the house. It causes tension.

Here is a suggestion to relieve the tension and have a better composition. The path or driveway from the house goes right off the picture then comes back. I would change that so that the two segments are connected. Then, I would have the bridge lead into the background. That would give the eye a natural path to go from the house to the background, but I would still make the background area less prominent.

MatildaArt!
01-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Since I'm always much more interested in the feel of a painting than the technical aspects I'm with Bill. This painting has such a wonderful fantasy feel to it. It transports me to a different time and place and sometimes I really need to go there😊