PDA

View Full Version : The Shade Tree Mechanic

mogoid
01-09-2017, 11:21 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-09-2017/1982664_The_Shade_Tree_Mechanic.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-09-2017/1982664_KY0435-med.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Shade Tree Mechanic
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Not conce<br>ed with straight lines or matching headlight sizes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Color, color, color. My reference is a black and white photo. So I chose all the colors. I made the car green so as not to stick out in conflict with the focus on the mechanic. Any comments are appreciated especially on my use of color.

kin3
01-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Oh I like this. Been there, done that, and wore out the tee shirt. Maybe add a little blood on the fingers.

You captured the mood completely.

~JMW~
01-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Gotta put some grease on his hands...maybe elbow too / a smudge on his forehead...
The front tire seems off or to noticeable...maybe just a bit too dark?

RCharleston
01-09-2017, 06:26 PM
+1 on possibly too dark tones in the front viewer-left wheel/tire. The eye is drawn there too strongly, IMO.

Very nice painting!

billmahler
01-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Love the title
Tone the tree down a bit to push him forward more and frame it

DreyDay
01-10-2017, 01:40 AM
Great painting skill. I can tell your brushing was very accurate and precise. It's cool you were able to do such a great job at putting color into what originally had no color at all and keeping the values consistent.

Good job also keeping the environment looking overcast, creating the overall mood. One suggestion but maybe it's just me but the tree in the background behind the car can use some more detail: narrow down the brushing and put in some smaller leaves to break it up a bit. Otherwise, awesome job!

mogoid
01-10-2017, 07:25 AM
All great observations. A little more work and I'll call this done. Thank you for the input!

Joe'sHottie
01-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Great painting - love it. One suggestion - check the jawline where it meets the arm - in the photo, his face is nestled against his arm, and in the painting it appears too 'upright' - I think if you trim the top of the head/hairline just a bit and extend/soften where the jawline meets the ear, it would read a bit better. Otherwise, great job!