PDA

View Full Version : A Pirate Looks at Fifty

HenryAfrika
10-28-2003, 10:42 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-28-2003/30743_Pirate_Looks_at_Fifty.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-28-2003/30743_Pirate_Upper_Left.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-28-2003/30743_Pirate_Lower_Left.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Pirate Looks at Fifty
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Went to St. Lucia for my brother's 50th birthday. This is from a photograph of him on the porch of our villa. The photographs were taken by my sister in- law after she already had it framed.
I took liberties with colors, adding and removing objects, and background. This is my first painting, and without instruction, so I'm sure I broke a thousand cardinal rules. I would love some real criticism of this piece so that I can improve.
I've been eavesdropping as a guest here for quite some time and love this forum.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am really looking for overall criticism. How do the colors work together, blending, brush strokes, composition, anything you can think of. Thanks.

mfoxmelanson
10-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Your first?!!! Very well done. I especially like the book and glass. The trees in the background are really pulling my eye. Colors and comp look good to me. M.

shirleyq
10-28-2003, 12:34 PM
YOUR FIRST? You must have drawn or something before. What a great first or second or.......................:) My only crit is the lack of knuckles, knee cap, etc. An easy fix with a few shadows. Your perspective, shadows, seem right on with the expection of the light on the fingers. The light should be on the other side. Paint more!:D

jerryW
10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
the rich Bonnard like color on pirate's flesh and clothing is worth every second of effort.
i can't tell if this is duplicated on the blue floor, but if it is throughout, then you have made a fine cornerstone piece for your future gallery.

HenryAfrika
10-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the comments so far...I appreciate any input. I've started another that's quite different but still inspired from my trip to this beautiful island country.

mfoxmelanson, you commented on the trees pulling your eye. Do you find them distracting? Do you think they take away from the overall compostition?

Shirley, I know!! The light on the fingers is coming from the wrong direction...I noticed that too, although they appear that way in the photo...i should have ignored it and gone with my gut. Funny you should mention the knuckles and knee cap...he does indeed have knuckles that i somehow ignored...the knee on the otherhand...he doesn't have knee caps in real life....football, wrestling, other bad habits. I'll steal the painting from my brother and give him knuckles. ;) Oh, and yes, I have doodled during meetings.

Jerry, I have to confess my ignorance of the finer points of art. Although I love studying pieces, I've never had any formal education. I assume you're referring to Pierre Bonnard, however I am ashamed to admit I'm not sure what you're referring to when you wonder if the tones are repeated in the blue floor. I tried to connect various parts of the painting by using my own colors rather than those in the photo.

jerryW
10-28-2003, 02:16 PM
the color I am talking about is not tone, but complexity, like bonnard, here on the skin you see much color activity, flux and vitality. that is what I was referring to

mfoxmelanson
10-28-2003, 04:09 PM
First, you should know, I have little experience as a painter or critic! I've been looking again for a while..I like the placement of the green (trees) as far as balance. Now I'm thinking this might be because of a glare from the picture, the tree trunks/limbs seem to have a sharper edge than anything else. I still like them- maybe that's why they're pulling my eye. M.

HenryAfrika
10-29-2003, 09:32 AM
mfoxmelanson,

I don't think it's glare you're looking at. I think you're right, the trees have a harder edge to them than they should which kind of ruins the feeling of distance. They should probably all look more like the one on the far right. Thanks

pero lane
10-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Wow your first??? Really nice work...pat yourself on the back and don't stop painting!!:clap: