PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember...

L Skylar Brown
01-03-2017, 08:26 PM
When This forum was called an Alley? (Which was an insult as far as I was concerned. I felt like a second-class artist)
When did it become OK for you to say you were painting Digitally!?
I started submitting pieces in 2009. If I did a piece posted in another forum, I had to defend my works. Many thought I just took a photo, and did some photo technique to render a painted look. I constantly had to explain that Digitally Painting was just that!
Last week, I had an artist Blast me for telling another artist he had not identified his work as digital. That was a full-circle moment.
I think we have arrived...
( I also posted this in the Cafe for comments...)

Lucy-Foote
01-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Yes I remember. I know a few years back when I began to show my digital art in the Arts and Design Society I belong to. They didn't quite aprrove as they thought it was a painted over photo. Till I gave a demostration for them one day. They have accepted digital paintings in shows now, and i have won a few ribbons on mine.

Lucy

L Skylar Brown
01-04-2017, 12:19 AM
I post on a few other sites, and now only occasionally do I have to explain the process. Unfortunately, I'm like a sponge. Now that I have a good handle on 2D painting, I have begun to explore 3D...

dewarp
01-04-2017, 04:03 AM
I came from the other direction. I'm a photographer who started manipulating my images (initially using Gimp and then moving on to Photoshop CS2 in 2005, which I still use!). At my camera club my obviously edited images were much criticised (more so because I ended up as the club photographer of the year for three years running in spite of my "over-creativity"). At that time most judges had no clue about Photoshop and assumed that manipulation was just a matter of pressing a button.

In 2009 I joined an art group. There I was surprised to find that most members were quite receptive to my work, just seeing it as another medium. They were generally interested on how I achieved my results and immediately appreciated the strength that working in editable layers brings to the party.

Today the international camera club salons are full of manipulated images. The times, they are a changin'.

regards - Peter

Elainepsq
01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
First off, let me say, that I moved this to Digital Art, because it is more of a discussion, than showcasing a particular piece of work.

Ah, yes, digital art has come a long way in being accepted. This past year, I entered digital painting in our county fair. Again, there was a misunderstanding in the past, and one of my students work was moved from the Art Division, to arts and crafts - yes with children's crafts- because it was digital, and I'm assuming since they didn't know what that was, they assumed it was a craft. So I entered myself last year, I was prepared to dig in my heals, and insist that it go in the right category. I even had it printed on canvas, so it would be accepted into the category for paintings on canvas. I offered to demo had info available on my classes and as a result, I was asked to speak at the county fair board meeting to explain why they should add a new category in the art show for Digital Painting for next year! One of the members did ask, "isn't that included in photography?", but I explained that it isn't photography but painting. The wonderful thing was pointed out- We had quite of few high school students stop and watch, since they've had a little intro to digital painting in high school.
As far as this forum is concerned, true, it was called Painters Alley, and I don't know why, it was named before my time, and I'm sure it was not intended to make digital painters feel insulted in any way. When I took the position of moderator, (2012 I think) it seemed like we had a special subforum for Digital Painting, but not for vectors, or fractals, or any type of mixed digital media. In an effort to be inclusive of "all digital art" we renamed it "Digital Showcase", so that all digital artists would feel included. The photography forum still has a digital manipulation sub forum, but we felt that there might be instances were digital art might include photography and other types of digital art. I know we lost a very good member of the forum over it, and I've always regretted that, but I still believe it is best to be inclusive of all types of digital art.

These days, in addition to my freelance graphics jobs, I do a lot of real estate photography, and yes, every single photo is digitally processed. I do natural light HDR, (blended images) I often replace a sky on a grey day, put a fire in the fireplace instead of heating up the house with a fire on a warm day, fix lighting etc. HDR requires a bit of processing but it makes the image more like the human eye sees anyway.

The world is changing and the digital lifestyle is here, but there are still grumblings from traditional artists. The analogy that I made to an artists group is this: we are using different tools but it's still art. We will always have a choice, I don't see the major manufacturers of art supplies shutting down production of oil paint because of digital- both have their advantages in different circumstances, so which ever is your preference - oil, watercolor, pastels, or digital - be inclusive and accept digital as just another way to put color, line and form on a page.

b'anna
01-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Oh I remember! I had a running feud with Painters alley. I am a firm believer in it's not the tools that make the artist but the thoughts and ideas and creativeness.

Nazareth434
01-04-2017, 03:24 PM
I moved to digi painting because I can't take the fumes of oils and thinners, can't paint with acrylics, and am terrible at watercolors- could never get the hang of watercolors- Now i use Rebelle which has a super dandy handy undo button lol- so i can control it more-

I too came from photography and editing in photoshop- so the transition wasn't a hard one- but i originally started out painting in oils back when it didn't make me sick

While I still love the texture and look to traditionally painted works, and think it's preferable to digi paintings- I had to move on from them- and also enjoy what can be accomplished with digi painting by creative techniques- brushes- etc- a lot of hard work goes into digi paintings to create beautiful works of art- and that alone is worth admiring- I just wish there was a way to get them from digi to canvas with textured brushstrokes- that would be the ultimate end result- thick thin brushstrokes, raised paint pigments- etc- The one thing i slightly object to with digi painting is the flatness of the printed work- Everything else can pretty much replicate oil paintings or whatever medium painting these days- almost to a T-

Digi programs today are so close ot actual thing, that you need to cotnrol your brushes almost like you would in real painting- and that takes a good bit of skill-

Elainepsq
01-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Just curious, if you have tried, dabbing a little acrylic on a digital painting that has been printed on canvas? I did that with one of my signature white water and rocks paintings. I know Acrylic handles differently than oil, but if you just adding some dabs of color for texture and brushstrokes, it can give a similar look without much smell.

LavenderFrost
01-05-2017, 12:12 PM
People can be slow to change and accept. Even acrylics are still looked down upon in some galleries.

I started with acrylics, so when I tried digital I really liked the control I could have. And that is still the attraction, being able to use layers to separate things which makes it easier to change them. I will usually use digital at times when I am trying to create something from imagination or when I want to do things differently than my reference.

Sometimes digital makes things easier, sometimes harder. I still like acrylics. It's a different feeling to work with them.

Nazareth434
01-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Great suggestion Elaine- that sounds fun- will definitely have to give that a try- That woudl be liek hte best of both worlds :)