PDA

View Full Version : Joan's 2017 Sketches

Pages : [1] 2

Joan T
01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Happy New Year!!! Another year...another sketchbook thread. I am off to a slow start for plein air sketching. The weather has been rainy and uncooperative, but I did get to sketch between the rain yesterday.

This was sketched with a twig and ink. I haven't used that method in quite a while and was happy that the ink I had in my backpack was still damp enough.

Today was portrait day for one of my art groups. Deano posed for us. I did a painting and then a quick sketch.

Yorky
01-04-2017, 09:23 AM
A good start Joan.

Doug

Monastic Bat
01-04-2017, 01:52 PM
The Tree is very impressive. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards,
Greg.

eyepaint
01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
That colour portrait is so good!!

Joan T
01-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks Doug, Greg, and EP. I'm doing a "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge so I haven't been doing too much sketching. Added to that we are up in Maine visiting family so I'm spending more time socializing than normally. I did do a few sketches.

These were all done on the Cross Sound Ferry leaving Long Island and heading up here to Maine. I started with breakfast and then sketched some of the passengers.

otherworlder
01-09-2017, 01:55 AM
The watercolor (I think?) portrait looks especially amazing, great job! I like the tree too, it looks proper winter bleak.

Joan T
01-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Otherworlder.

It is always fun to be at someone else's house and find things to sketch. The ink sketch is of my sister's living room with the Christmas tree and door leading out to her porch. She also has a spinning wheel...this time I tried a digital sketch using ArtRage.

Joan T
01-10-2017, 03:22 PM
A trip to Maine isn't a trip to Maine without lobster for dinner one night...and he was very cooperative.

Joan T
01-10-2017, 03:25 PM
I did another sketch of the view out the window using ArtRage. It was cold up tin Maine on Saturday and Sunday, never getting warmer than 14 degrees. We were inside most of the time so I sketched the view from her dining room.

Joan T
01-10-2017, 03:27 PM
I sketched this group in the tiny sketchbook I took with me. First I sketched the view in the restaurant where we stopped for lunch going home, and then on the ferry back to Long Island.

eyepaint
01-10-2017, 10:59 PM
mmm lobster .... slurrrrp :)

Joan T
01-14-2017, 05:33 PM
EP, I'm glad you enjoyed the tasty lobster.

On Tuesday I did a portrait in the morning and a portrait in the evening...lucky me! Then my art group met on Wed indoors and we set up a few still lifes. I brought the objects for this one and made sure it was colorful.

Joan T
01-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Yesterday i got down by the water to do a watercolor sketch.

Joan T
01-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Today I took a ride to the Fire Island Lighthouse. I decided to do a walk and stop and sketch a few times. Each sketch was done a different way...one with ink and a twig, one with just watercolor pencils, another with a preppy ink pen, and one with Le Pen in brown, which turns a deep pink when it is wet. It was cold out but I was dressed in layers and had my fingerless gloves to keep my hands somewhat warm.

Joan T
01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
When I got back to my car I sat inside and did a sketch of the dunes directly in watercolors.

eyepaint
01-14-2017, 05:59 PM
I love the one "with Le Pen in brown, which turns a deep pink when it is wet."

MBosen
01-17-2017, 01:22 AM
Wow. You've been busy! I especially like the first tree, the second watercolor portrait and the lobsters... Plein Aire is so hard, undoubtedly harder in the winter. You make the life sketching appear very easy. Your colors look very good, and you keep great values, in full color and monochromatic sketches. Props! Here's hoping that we all have a productive 2017!

Joan T
01-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Last Sunday the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Queens Museum which is in the middle of Flushing Meadow Park. The museum itself was a beautiful building, but the content of the museum wasn't really to my liking. There was a exhibit of items related to the sanitation department. There was one sculpture that was interesting made of used work gloves, walkie talkies, brushes and assorted discarded materials.

After sketching the sculpture I headed over to meet friends at the cafe, which had a nice view (somewhat obstructed by trees) of the Unisphere. The Unisphere was part of the 1963-64 World's Fair. It is one of my favorite parts of the park. Before leaving I got to do a few sketches of some of the people who were in the cafe.

Joan T
01-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Since I am so close to the water it is easy to head down to the bay to sketch one of the many views. I sat in my car and sketched both of these.

Joan T
01-22-2017, 09:07 AM
My portrait group met this week and Jeff posed for us. Again I did a lengthy pose and then a quick one.

Joan T
01-22-2017, 09:09 AM
My evening sketch group worked on still life setups at the library. I did one of the produce I brought and then the bears and Pooh related items that my friend brought along for Winnie the Pooh day.

Joan T
01-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Yesterday I went into NYC with a group of friends to take part in the Women's Walk. I am not much of a political person (although that may change with this administration) but I felt I needed to march and show that it is important for all people to be able to stand up for what they agree with or protest about what they don't believe in. I don't consider that not supporting my government since it is based on the concept of "We the People." It was very crowded (about 400,000 people) so one of my friends and I stood a bit off to the side for a few minutes to get at least one sketch done.

Monastic Bat
01-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Great sketch of the march.
Regards,
Greg.

eyepaint
01-22-2017, 10:54 AM
I love the idea of the sculpture of work gloves and walkie talkies. I also enjoy the descriptive lines for the black and white cars, boats, and boathouses/garages at the marina.

Joan T
02-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Thanks Greg and EP!

Both of these were done at my art group's portrait session. Chris posed for us and then when I finished working on her portrait, I quickly sketched the other artists working.

Joan T
02-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Two water related plein air sketches and one done with my sketch group last Wednesday night. We are indoors for the winter so we have been bringing still life setups for sketching.

Joan T
02-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Last weekend I went into the city to meet the NYC Urban Sketchers. I sketched on the train going in and then after I had breakfast.

Joan T
02-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Our sketching location was Chinatown to celebrate the Lunar New Year, the year of the rooster. It was crazy crowded...and cold, both of which affected what I could sketch and for how long. I sketched some buildings with the bright Chinese signs, then a booth at the Firecracker Festival where they were selling poppers that exploded with confetti. The final sketch was of a corner store filled with all kinds of merchandise for the festival.

Joan T
02-05-2017, 11:13 PM
We all met up for lunch but all the Chinese restaurants were either packed or too small to accommodate 15 of us. We ended up at an empenada restaurant that happily let us come in and get warm and stay for the rest of the afternoon. We spent a lot of time sketching each other across the table.

Joan T
02-05-2017, 11:13 PM
We all met up for lunch but all the Chinese restaurants were either packed or too small to accommodate 15 of us. We ended up at an empenada restaurant that happily let us come in and get warm and stay for the rest of the afternoon. We spent a lot of time sketching each other across the table.

otherworlder
02-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Joan love those Chinatown cityscape sketches! Sounds like a really fun day as well XD

Yorky
02-06-2017, 01:15 AM
Terrific sketches Joan, love your group sketch particularly. You get better and better.

Doug

Monastic Bat
02-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Joan, i like your China Town series. Doug is right, you do keep getting better.
Regards,
Greg.

Joan T
02-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks Otherworlder, Doug, and Greg. All the sketching practice helps.

More often than not I'm inside a Starbucks when I'm sketching. This time I parked my car outside one and sketched. The lady on the curb caught my attention.

The second sketch is of Seamus who posed for our portrait group last week.

Joan T
02-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Our sketch group on Wed night had a theme of shoes/boots. Everyone brought something along with laces to sketch.

It's still too cold to sit outside and sketch so this one was done while my car was parked in a parking lot in a nearby town.

otherworlder
02-10-2017, 01:36 AM
The fur on the snowboot looks especially realistic, so fluffy and warm. (I could use some snow boots like that given the weather lol.)

Joan T
02-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Otherworlder, those boots came in very handy recently with the snowstorm we had. lol

Here are two local scenes done from my "mobile studio" in the cold weather.

Joan T
02-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Back a few posts I showed a portrait of Seamus. Last week his wife came to model for our group. I do the portraits in a large wc sketchbook and do two on a page. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but Seamus and Gerri ended up being side by side on the page. I gave the portraits to her.

Joan T
02-12-2017, 06:31 PM
One day this week we had temperatures that reached 65 degrees. It was so beautiful out that I went down by the bay and actually sat outside to paint. Of course the very next day the temps were below freezing and we got 13 inches of snow...spring to winter overnight. lol

Joan T
02-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Here are a few Valentine related sketches. That was the theme our sketch group had the other night. Everyone brought some Valentine candy and we did a sweet still life. I did the Hershey kiss the following day.

Joan T
02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
As I said before we went from an unusually warm day to 13 inches of snow the following day. I was stuck inside all day so I made sure I got to sketch the view out the living room window. The following day when I did get out I sketched a snowy house nearby. I sat in front of another house across the street to sketch and the owner came out after a while to see if I was stuck. lol When I told him I was sketching he thought it was great and wanted to know if I needed anything while I was there.

Yorky
02-13-2017, 01:02 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan, lucky to get husband and wife on the same page.

Crazy weather you got but you are a trojan sitting in the snow sketching.

Doug

Monastic Bat
02-13-2017, 10:25 AM
They are all good but I really like the Valentines.
Regards,
Greg.

Joan T
03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Thanks Doug and Greg. As much as I hate the inconvenience of the snow, it does make for some great sketching...as long as I'm warm in my car. lol

The NYC Urban Sketchers met at Hearst Tower near Columbus Circle. The tower is very modern with beams and glass and it sits on an old building at the base that was build back in the 1920s for Hearst of publishing fame. It is an odd combination but beautiful on the inside. We were allowed in the lobby and atrium. I sketched one of the other sketchers against the glass and beams, a view of a brownstone that I could see from one of the windows, and then a quick sketch of the interior.

Joan T
03-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Assorted sketches of some of my art materials in the new pen case that I got recently, another sketch of the snow, and a model for our art group.

Joan T
03-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Valentine's Day had me using several different media...a gelli plate to print, a bouquet of roses (from my hubby) done in ArtRage on my iPad, and a heart zentangle.

Joan T
03-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Before our heat wave hit and melted our snow I got out to do a few more sketches. The riverbank and the trees were done from my car, but I did go out with my sketchpad to do a few quick sketches while I walked at the arboretum.

Yorky
03-03-2017, 01:22 AM
I admire your dedication Joan.

Doug

Joan T
03-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Thanks, Doug!

The NYC Urban Sketchers needed an indoor location and we went to the Metropolitan Museum. We started in the Armor Room and then moved to the American Wing. It was a great day of sketching.

Joan T
03-10-2017, 09:05 PM
I hit a nautical streak for a few days. First I did a sketch of the Fire Island Lighthouse and then a sketch of a boatyard in Sayville.

Joan T
03-10-2017, 09:08 PM
The boatyard theme continued with these two sketches that I did from my car on location.

otherworlder
03-10-2017, 10:44 PM
I love those sketches, especially the two sceneries in the last post! It looks like the perfectly lazy little fishing/boating town lol.

Yorky
03-11-2017, 01:23 AM
Super sketches Joan, I especially like Amor and the boatyard scenes.

Doug

Joan T
03-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Thanks Otherworlder and Doug!

Here's one sketch done down near the beach on a mild day we had. The other is "Old Man's Boatyard" up north of me in Mt. Sinai.

Joan T
03-13-2017, 09:06 PM
A few weeks ago I was meeting the NYC Urban Sketchers for an event. My friend and I went in earlier than the event and went to Grand Central Terminal to sketch. I did one sketch in the great hall and one downstairs by the food court. That one is just in ink because I ran out of time.

Joan T
03-13-2017, 09:11 PM
The event the NYC Urban Sketchers were invited to was a tango event. One of our members is really into tango dancing and her group often dances in Central Park. During the winter they don't get together too often but that day they gathered to celebrate someone's birthday. Let me tell you...it is NOT easy to sketch people when they are dancing, especially the tango because the holds and arm positions change a lot for each step. I did my best with these. I captured some of the dancers and a few that were resting at a table across from me.

Joan T
03-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Here are a few more. I liked the shoes as well so I tried sketching a few pairs. The last sketch was my favorite of the afternoon and I think it really captured their pose. We had over 40 sketchers turn out that day.

Yorky
03-14-2017, 02:11 AM
You are very brave.

Doug

Monastic Bat
03-14-2017, 09:49 AM
I like them all, including your valiant effort with the dancers.
Regards,
Greg

Joan T
03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks Doug & Greg. It was fun sketching the dancers...but a little frustrating.

You can't take the girl away from the beach too long. I needed some ocean air. :angel:

Joan T
03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Here are two portraits from two different art group sessions.

The cup and teapot were from another group I sketch with. We usually sketch outdoors in the evening, but have been indoors for the winter. So we usually have a theme, like "tea."

Joan T
03-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Here are a few more water related sketches. The deli is down near the water too.

Joan T
03-19-2017, 06:24 PM
The NYC Urban Sketchers met in a place called the Turnstile, which is an underground eating and shopping establishment right outside the turnstyles of the subway by Columbus Circle. I sketched a cosmetics store, a cafe, and a crepe place. All the workers were so thrilled to have been sketched. The cosmetic shop and the cafe put the sketch on their Facebook pages.

Yorky
03-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Fabulous shop sketches Joan, I'm not surprised they liked them.

Doug

Monastic Bat
03-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Joan, your sketching is always impressive.
Regards,
Greg

Joan T
03-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Doug and Greg, thanks so much.

These were done at a Dr. Sketchy event.There was a model who started out in her undies and slowly with each pose put on another item of clothing. Everything was vintage clothing and the final outfits were Dior dresses and a suit. The model started out with 1 minute poses, then 5, working up to 20 minute poses. It is a lot of fun to take part. Music is playing and drinks are available. It is a fun way to do life drawing. Here are some of the sketches I did.

Joan T
03-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Here are a few more.

Joan T
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Before the sketching event started I had time to sketch a few of the other sketchers.

Yorky
03-21-2017, 02:05 AM
Wonderful figures Joan. What a great event.

Doug

bgviper
03-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Sounds like a fun event. Great figures indeed!

otherworlder
03-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Lovely figure drawings! This sounds like a wonderful event.

laudesan
03-22-2017, 08:57 AM
These are fabulous Joan xx

Joan T
03-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone!!! The figure drawing was a lot of fun.

I recently took part in a challenge posted by 2 urban sketching artists I really admire...Marc Taro Holmes and Liz Steel. They challenged people to join them in doing sketches of 100 people in 5 days. They didn't have to be big sketches, or entire figures...just sketch people. I had a hard time thinking of places to find a lot of people. Figuring I should do an average of 20 people a day, I went to coffee shops, McDonald's, the library, and finally thought of going to the motor vehicle department. That turned out to be the best place and I sketched nearly 40 people there finishing in 4 days. Here are the sketches.

Joan T
03-27-2017, 09:04 PM
The next group...

Joan T
03-27-2017, 09:07 PM
The next batch...

Joan T
03-27-2017, 09:09 PM
More than halfway done...

Joan T
03-27-2017, 09:11 PM
And the last group...

eyepaint
03-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Your interiors (coffee shops, flower shops, etc.) are so well done. I find those scenes so overwhelming. How fun to have a life model put pieces of clothing on ... guess she's a dresser-upper and not a stripper, hey?

Yorky
03-28-2017, 01:21 AM
Wonderful figures, you certainly honed your skills this month Joan

Doug

sculptcha
03-30-2017, 08:35 PM
I love your style. Your landscapes are lovely, but that lobster...

Joan T
04-06-2017, 09:16 PM
EP - Thanks. It was fun to have a model like that one.

Doug - Thanks so much. It was a busy month.

Sculptcha - Thanks!!!

Joan T
04-06-2017, 09:19 PM
One of our urban sketching locations in March was the Brooklyn Museum. It was fun to sketch the sculptures and the artifacts in the African section.

Joan T
04-06-2017, 09:22 PM
I had stopped in the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens before the museum since it hadn't opened yet. I had time for a direct-in-watercolors painting of some flowers in the greenhouse. After the museum we went to a place to have drinks and to share our work. As usual we had time to sketch other sketchers at the table.

Joan T
04-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Here are two sketches in my toned sketchbook and a few assorted subjects. The toned paper works well for snow scenes.

Monastic Bat
04-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Joan, these are all nice. I really like your toned paper sketches.
Regards,
Greg..

Joan T
04-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Greg.

Here are two "from the car" sketches. It was still too cold to sit outside, but the car works out well. You can see there was still snow on the ground in the first one.

Yorky
04-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Great sketches Joan, lots of detail.

Doug

Joan T
04-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Most of the towns around here have parades for St. Patrick's Day. I went over to Patchogue for theirs. It was very cold and windy (don't know how the bagpipers could stand having their legs exposed). I dressed perfectly and found a spot where the wind was blocked and I was in the sun. It kept me warm while I stood and sketched.

Joan T
04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
One day it felt warm enough to sit outside AND it was the first day of spring. I called a friend and asked her if she had anything in bloom in her garden yet. I sketched a few of her flowers. The house I did from my car since it was another frosty day.

Joan T
04-20-2017, 06:08 PM
One day my husband and I had tickets to see a show in NYC and went to an early dinner followed by drinks at a piano bar. Of course my sketchbook came out in both places. lol

eyepaint
04-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Love all your people sketches. Indeed the toned paper works well for snow scenes :)

Joan T
04-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks, EP!

Two unrelated sketches. One portrait and another of a boat yard.

Joan T
04-24-2017, 09:09 PM
The NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Museum of Natural History. I got there early enough to sketch the museum from outdoors before it opened. Then I rushed up to the dinosaur exhibits (a must for me). The other sketchers were all doing the mammals and birds so I joined them there after lunch.

Joan T
04-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Here are some people from the train and two of our models.

eyepaint
04-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Monkeys!!

Yorky
04-25-2017, 01:12 AM
Super sketches at the museum Joan, wonderful dinosaur.

Doug

Joan T
05-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Thanks EP & Doug. The museum is always a fun place to sketch.

Here are a few assorted sketches. The one of the toys was done with my Wed night sketch group at the library since it was still too cold to sketch outdoors in the evening.

Joan T
05-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Here are a few local scenes done from my "mobile studio."

Joan T
05-04-2017, 03:21 PM
And a few more local sketches...

Joan T
05-04-2017, 03:30 PM
My art group still does portraits, and Jeff posed for us.

My other sketch group did an indoor still life of items that shine. After I finished the still life I sketched Dominic, one of the other sketchers.

Joan T
05-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Here are some sketches done on the NYC subway.

Joan T
05-12-2017, 08:33 PM
These were all done at Union Square Park on a trip into the city to see an art exhibit with my sister.

Joan T
05-12-2017, 08:36 PM
It got warm enough to sit outside an do some landscapes. Two are local scenes with trees in bloom. The long on was done outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art when I went down there to see a special Homer/Sargent exhibit.

Joan T
05-12-2017, 08:37 PM
The restaurant was a local one in Patchogue. It was fun to do the view through the window. The flowers were done at the Bayard Cutting Arboretum. The magnolia trees had just started to bud, and some of the tulips were in bloom.

eyepaint
05-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Blossoms!

Yorky
05-13-2017, 12:54 AM
Excellent sketches Joan.

Doug

Joan T
05-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Yes, EP, we're in bloom finally. lol

Joan T
05-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Here's one portrait and one crowd scene. I went to see Barbra Streisand in concert. I tried sketching the crowd but the arena was very dim and every time someone walked by to get to their seats they blocked the light. It was sort of like doing blind contours. lol I couldn't tell what I had sketched until I got home.

Joan T
05-21-2017, 09:00 AM
This group was done at the NY Botanical Gardens. Between the trees in bloom and the 1 million daffodils that had been planted, it was an artist's dream.

Joan T
05-21-2017, 09:04 AM
At the beginning of May I went up to visit my sister who lives in Maine. The weather wasn't really cooperative, but I did a few sketches every day even if I had to do them from my car while it drizzled.

Yorky
05-21-2017, 09:05 AM
A nice group Joan, especially the concert sketch.

Doug

Joan T
05-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Of course I had lobster while I was there and had to sketch one of those poor creatures when we brought them home to cook for dinner. He wasn't cooperative. I had to keep grabbing him because he was trying to crawl away.

Yorky
05-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Wonderful Maine sketches Joan, I love the addition of pen and ink.

Doug

eyepaint
05-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Woo hoo! Lobster!

How is your sister? I haven't seen her on here for ages.

Joan T
05-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks, Doug.

EP, Michelle is doing well. I can't remember the last time she posted here. She still does some sketching and posts to FB once in a while. I'll tell her you were asking about her. I wasn't visiting her on the trip. My other sister is the one who lives up in Maine.

Vivien Maloney
05-22-2017, 02:37 AM
You have Spring there Joan and we are in Winter here, way down in the Southern Hemisphere! Lovely Spring sketches. But poor Lobster! I keep seeing him in my imagination trying to crawl away!!!

Monastic Bat
05-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Joan your Maine sketches are great. The lobster probably knew what was in store for him.
Again, great sketches.
Regards,
Greg

Joan T
05-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Thanks Vivien and Greg!

On the way home from Maine we took the Cross Sound Ferry from New London, CT to Orient Point, NY. First I sketched my view as we sat waiting to board the ferry. For the ride we sat in the bar area which gave me a few models to sketch.

Joan T
05-22-2017, 09:09 PM
My Wednesday night sketch group went to a local park to sketch. There was a group called the Long Island Dock Jumpers who were training dogs to fetch and jump off a dock. It was fun to try and catch some of the dogs and their owners.

The second sketch was done on the north fork when I went out to buy some flowers for my patio. I sketched the view of Gabrielsen's from my car...much safer than sitting outside the car and risk being in the way of an upcoming car.

Joan T
05-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Both of these were done at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. There were lots of rhodies and azaleas in bloom as well as a few trees that were still pink.

DLander
05-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Hey Joan T!

Really like that lobster! (I also like the way that you can handily move back and forth between tight realism and whimsical cartoony stuff in your figure drawings)

laudesan
05-27-2017, 06:32 AM
I really love your work Joan, always a pleasure to see.

Joan T
05-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Thanks DLander and JJ!

I used some salt for texture in this mill. I like the effect. The dunes and sky were painted after I dropped off some paperwork at the Fire Island Lighthouse. It was windy and cold so instead of spending time outside sketching I faced the dunes and painted from my car.

Joan T
05-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Bob posed for us last week. Then I took a friend up to Cold Spring Harbor for a bit of sketching. She's been pretty much trapped indoors for a few weeks since she broke her foot and ankle. She was able to hobble to my car on her crutches and we got her situated on location so she didn't have to move around much. She really appreciated it.

Joan T
05-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Here are a few beach sketches. There are always good models there, like the pregnant lady.

Yorky
05-29-2017, 01:35 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan.

Doug

Joan T
06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks Doug!

The NYC Urban Sketchers had an outing in Washington Square Park. I sketched the famous arch from the other side of the fountain. Marco Polo, the dog, sat beside me for a long time so I did a quick sketch of him. His owner said he is old and once he finds a spot he stays pretty still, just raising his head once in a while if something interesting passes by. The park had a lot of activity with a tarot card reader, lots of graduates, and tons of tourists. Of course I had to sketch on the train coming home.

Joan T
06-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Cherries caught my eye for a sketch, and so did the poppies in my friend's garden.

Joan T
06-05-2017, 02:05 PM
My evening sketch group met at Starbucks because the forecast was for rain (which didn't happen). I liked that it was light out and I could see the people sitting outside the windows which were decorated with cutouts of drinks.

Yorky
06-05-2017, 03:26 PM
A nice collection of sketches Joan.

Love the dog :)

Doug

otherworlder
06-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Love those sketches. The cherries have such great colors.

eyepaint
06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Woo hoo! Poppies! Cherries! Doggie!

scc1989
06-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Your plein air sketches look great! It must be tough to absorb that amount of information and then depict it in a sketchbook. Definitely a skill I would like to hone one day.

Monastic Bat
06-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Joan, I really enjoy your sketches. I like the Starbuck's and I sure can empathize with Marco Polo.

Regards,
Greg

provenceaquarelle
07-08-2017, 05:16 AM
I like it all!!!

I like the fact you sketch everything, from toys to everyday life, and that you try different styles of sketching.

I like your illustrator like style.:)

Thank you.

hobbyartist87
07-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Lovely sketches Joan.Your watercolors inspire me to get back to watercolors someday (I had a few graphite pencils that I'm currently using and then 2 sets of watercolor pencils to use first).

Munin Raven
07-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Wow, I've missed rather a lot during my procrastination phase. Your urban/people scenes always seem to carry such a lovely sense of character and... everydayness? I can't quite express what I mean. Gotta love the brontosaurus (?) skeleton and the African sculptures! :thumbsup:

otherworlder
07-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Lovely sketches! Really love your drawings of buildings, amazing how you can freehand so accurately.

laudesan
07-27-2017, 01:04 AM
Joan I adore your work, always puts me in a happy place and makes me smile xx

Monastic Bat
07-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Count me as a Fan. I always enjoy your work. :clap::clap::clap:
Regards,
Greg.

Minerva C
08-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Lovely sketches Joan! They inspire me.
I just feel so sorry for the poor lobsters... :(

Scene Chaser
08-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Nice sketches, Joan. The cherries have beautiful colors and shine.
Bill

Joan T
09-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone for all your comments. I've been busy lately and couldn't seem to get back here for a while. I promised myself that before I would post any new sketches I would visit everyone else and see their posts first. Wonderful work everyone!!! You did a lot in my absence.

I will try to post starting from where I left off. These were done back in May.

Starbucks is always a favorite place for my Wednesday night group...especially if the weather isn't too nice out.
The irises were in bloom so I did a few of those.

Joan T
09-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Here are sketches of some local favorites, restaurants, houses, and the beach.

Joan T
09-12-2017, 06:01 PM
I participated in an event called Arts on Terry Street. Some of us were asked to bring work but also to sketch while we were there. It seems to attract a lot of attention. The first sketch is of my friend, Amanda who was painting a HUGE canvas. She has done this at several events. I also set up my easel and sketched the view down the street from the booth where I was showing some of my work.

Joan T
09-12-2017, 06:03 PM
A few more local scenes that I sketched when I was out and about....

I will be back with more soon.

Yorky
09-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Welcome back Joan, so good to see your wonderful sketches again.

Doug

Scene Chaser
09-16-2017, 01:53 PM
I so enjoy your sketches, Joan.
Bill

provenceaquarelle
09-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Superbe sketches.

Thank you!

Munin Raven
09-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Wow, what a super batch! As always, it's the multitude of little characterful details that make your sketches so great. You certainly have an eye for the enjoyable things in life. :clap:

Joan T
09-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Many thanks Doug, Bill, Maria and Munin.

A friend and I sketched by a Chinese restaurant near her. I did one longer sketch in color and a quick one in ink.

The third sketch was of a concession area at the beach.

Joan T
09-19-2017, 02:57 PM
The NYC Urban Sketchers went to the NY Botanical Gardens. While we were there an invitational plein air event was taking place with a lot of really good artists taking part. They were inspiring and that was needed on the very, very hot, humid day we were there. Finding shade was usually what determined what I was going to sketch.

Joan T
09-19-2017, 03:01 PM
In the summer beach sketching is a big thing for me since I love the beach so much. Here are a few sketches done at the beach and my dinner one night after the beach.

Joan T
09-19-2017, 03:05 PM
I went to Grant's Tomb with the NYC Urban Sketchers. In all my time living in NY this was my first trip there. We found a great view of the front of the building to sketch and I had just finished it when it started to rain. The building had a big portico so I moved there quickly and then it poured for the next few hours. All the sketchers were dry sketching from the portico, but it definitely changed our vantage point. lol I think it made for some interesting sketches.

Joan T
09-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Most of the time when I go into the city to meet the group I have time to sketch on the railroad or subway in and back, so I look for a seat with a good view of a model.

provenceaquarelle
09-20-2017, 04:16 AM
Superbe sketches.

You have been busy!

Monastic Bat
09-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Joan, all are nice, I always enjoy looking at your work. :clap::clap::clap:
Regards,
Greg.

Joan T
09-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Thank you Maria and Greg. I am so behind in posting. lol

The first sketch here I did on the way home from an appointment in Nassau County. It was sketched near where I used to live. I was sitting in my car to sketch this on a really windy day. Right next to me there was a house under reconstruction with scaffolding on the street side. While I was sketching I heard something blow off the scaffolding but I didn't really think anything of it. About 20 minutes later a man in a car pulled up next to my car and told me not to move my car. He got out of his car and picked up a wooden board that had all these nails sticking out of it. If I had driven over it I definitely would have punctured one or more tires. Boy, was I grateful!

The other sketches are views from the beach.

Joan T
09-20-2017, 03:52 PM
These were all sketched in different locations in Astoria Park. It has good views of the Robert Kennedy Bridge (formerly known as the Triborough Bridge) as well as Hells Gate Bridge (the pink one). I have been wanting to sketch a firetruck for a while but I rarely see them outside of the firehouses here. This one and another one were sitting in the park for at least an hour before I started sketching. The firemen were all sitting along the curb or under the shade of a tree. Of course you know what happens as soon as you start sketching...they all move. Yes, they got back on the trucks and both of them left. Luckily I had the truck sketched out and only had to add a bit more color.

Joan T
09-20-2017, 03:55 PM
I had to pick up my husband at Kennedy Airport. I was there early and was able to do a sketch of the crowd while I was standing there. I find standing and sketching a bit hard to do, especially if I'm not leaning against a wall somewhere and there are people all around me.

Yorky
09-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Absolutely fabulous sketches Joan. :clap:

Doug

Munin Raven
09-22-2017, 01:10 PM
The crustaceans win again for me, but so many other treats in these latest batches. Lovely work.

Joan T
09-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Thanks Doug and Munin. I still have so many to post. I really have to try to stay more up to date. lol

All three of these were done in the next town south of me, Sayville. It has some cute houses and a great downtown.

Joan T
09-22-2017, 06:23 PM
This summer I spent a lot of time at the beach or at the pool in my development. There are always subjects to sketch. In the second sketch the lifeguards were doing some practice rescuing each other.

Joan T
09-22-2017, 06:28 PM
These were done in Patchogue, another community near me. They have something called "Alive After 5" on 4 Thursdays during the summer. There are booths and truck with food, drinks, crafts, etc, as well as outdoor areas in front of many of the restaurants where you can sit and have something to eat or drink. One of the art groups also sometimes sets up models for us to come and draw outside. This particular night I focused on the people attending the event.

Yorky
09-23-2017, 01:13 AM
It's wonderful that you are recording life as you see it Joan. Excellent sketches.

Doug

provenceaquarelle
09-23-2017, 04:27 AM
I love the travels you propose.

Thank you.

Munin Raven
09-24-2017, 12:18 PM
And they just keep on coming, haha. So full of charm and character. :clap:

Joan T
09-24-2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks, everyone! I love reading your comments.
Here are sketches from assorted locations locally. The one of the color guard was done at a local cemetery that was having a dedication of a memorial to sailors lost as sea many years ago.

Joan T
09-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Back in July the NYC Urban Sketchers went to a block party held by the Rubin Museum in Manhattan. There were all kinds of vendors, stations for people to do art or music, and performances. I sketched a bit of everything, a church window, a spot where kids could produce sounds from various metal objects, Indian and Himalayan dancers.

Joan T
09-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Back in July there was a challenge to sketch 100 people. Here are my results.

Joan T
09-27-2017, 10:33 PM
Here are more.

Joan T
09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
And the people continue.

Joan T
09-27-2017, 10:39 PM
One night at Alive After Five we had a model, Zoe and her snake pose for us.

eyepaint
09-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Look at all those people! Way to go!! (and bonus serpent ... shudder...) :)

Yorky
09-28-2017, 01:12 AM
Brilliant sketches. :clap:

Doug

provenceaquarelle
09-28-2017, 05:11 AM
I love your style, and colours!

Thank you.

Munin Raven
09-30-2017, 01:07 PM
Wow... so loving all these people sketches. The snake girl is making me jealous. Brings back memories as a kid and experiencing the same thing when "the animal man" (that's what he was called :lol: ) used to tour the schools. :heart:

I admire your work etiquette very much.

Joan T
10-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Thanks Doug, Provenceaquarelle, and Munin!

Here are more people on the way to 100!

Joan T
10-01-2017, 09:10 PM
I ended up going over 100 people.

Joan T
10-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Here are some flower sketches...one bouquet that was for our anniversary and some sunflowers from a farm...peaches too. Another sketch was done indoors at my friend's shop.

Yorky
10-02-2017, 01:09 AM
Your figures are excellent Joan and I love the florals.

Doug

Joan T
10-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Thank you, Doug.

I went to a carnival near me and got to sketch the carousel and a belly dancer. They had a little bit of everything.

Joan T
10-02-2017, 09:28 PM
I got to do a few more sketches of people at the beach.

Joan T
10-02-2017, 09:30 PM
I don't know if your area has concerts at night in the summer, but we have them here. This year they were being held in the next town on Wed nights when my sketch group gets together. We went to listen and sketch...at least until it got too dark to see what we were doing. lol

Joan T
10-02-2017, 09:34 PM
I took a short workshop with Ann Watkins on drawing people directly in watercolors. She wanted us to sketch using mass not lines. I had a hard time with that and kept going back to the lines. lol

Joan T
10-02-2017, 09:36 PM
A few more from Ann's Workshop.

Yorky
10-03-2017, 01:33 AM
You are so prolific Joan, I have to say that like you I prefer the lines.

Doug

hobbyartist87
10-03-2017, 02:08 AM
Great sketches Joan. I love your ability to use watercolors in sketches and though watercolor by nature is not as bright as gouache or acrylics, you make your watercolor sketches really luminious.

Joan T
10-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Thank you Doug and Sandra for your comments.

Patchogue is the town next to mine and it has a lot of art-related events, especially this summer. The Patchogue Sketch Club was invited to sketch at the Festival del Amor" where flamenco dancers were going to perform. When we arrived there were chairs set up with decorative shawls covering them. I sketched those before the performance started. Most of the dancers did a solo performance and that is when I sketched each one going across the page in my sketchbook.

Joan T
10-03-2017, 09:58 PM
My friend hosted an event in Oyster Bay for the NYC Urban Sketchers who leave the city for other locations on occasion. Most of them arrived in Oyster Bay on the Long Island Railroad. Those of us who already lived on Long Island just drove to Oyster Bay. We met at the gazebo in the center of town and then set off to sketch. The first building I sketched had a restaurant called Wild Honey downstairs, but upstairs had been the office of Pres.Theodore Roosevelt. After lunch I sketched a restaurant, and my last sketch there was of the Bonanza shack. It sold hot dogs and the best chocolate ices I've ever eaten.

Joan T
10-03-2017, 10:02 PM
We were lucky enough to have a Almann Brothers Tribute band play in Sayville one night. They were really good. This time I brought along a book light so that I could still sketch once it started to get dark. I sketched both the band members and the audience that night.

Joan T
10-03-2017, 10:08 PM
The NYC Urban Sketchers visited Governors Island. It has some nice houses and some great views of Manhattan. The day we were there a civil war re-enactment was taking place. I watched the cannon demonstration, which did not do much for my hearing since I sat through it quite a few times before I finished the sketch.

eyepaint
10-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Such good ones! I like the people and I'm so drawn to your wc+ink work :)

Yorky
10-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Fantastic! Sketching in the dark too! :clap:

Doug

Raindrop
10-04-2017, 03:37 AM
Fantastic colours, Joan!

hobbyartist87
10-05-2017, 02:13 AM
Delightful sketches Joan. Your pen and ink combined with watercolor is lovely to see and it is inspiring.

Joan T
10-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Thanks EP, Doug, Raindrop and Sandra!

Here are a few more beach people. They really do make great models.

Joan T
10-05-2017, 10:27 PM
These were fun to do! In August I participated in a week long plein air event nearby. I didn't actually paint every day but did about 4 paintings. In addition there were sometimes small events held in the evening that were optional. One night we met at a chocolate/candy store in Patchogue called Killwins. We sat inside surrounded by such tempting treats, but I picked something to sketch that I don't really like...caramel apples. That way I could sketch it without craving it. The manager told us if we sketch a sweet we get a treat. For each sketch we got a coupon for an ice cream...which was delicious.

Another night we went to a restaurant called Swell Taco. The owner had someone who dressed as a taco and posed in front of the restaurant. If you sketched the taco you got a coupon for a free taco. It was a lot of fun because it was so silly.

Joan T
10-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Back to the beach...

Joan T
10-05-2017, 10:33 PM
I had plans to meet a friend at the beach in Rye, NY. So that I would have time to sketch before she arrived, I got there about 25 minutes early and sketched while I waited.

The second sketch was done with another sketching friend at a church near where she lives. It is a pretty church.

Joan T
10-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Since the election I have been to several protests and rallies. A friend and I went to a protest when Trump was threatening to a program protecting young immigrants from deportation. Suzala and I sketched the rally which started at the train station in Hicksville and then continued on to our governor's local office. The organizers loved that we were documenting the rally through our sketches.

provenceaquarelle
10-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Such great sketches!

You make it look so easy...

Raindrop
10-06-2017, 11:31 AM
A really good record. Well done!

bgviper
10-06-2017, 12:56 PM
dunno why but i love the sketch of the prespyterian church -mhm - maybe the blue pattern! the rest is awsome too!

Joan T
10-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

Here are some beach sketches done back in September.

Joan T
10-07-2017, 08:21 PM
There are usually models around when I have my car serviced.

Joan T
10-07-2017, 08:23 PM
The NYC Urban Sketchers did an outing to Pelham, NY which is about 30 minutes north of Manhattan by train. It was a nice town.

Raindrop
10-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Pelham looks like a relaxing place! Lovely sketches.

Monastic Bat
10-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Joan, I like them all.
Regards,
Greg

Joan T
10-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks Raindrop and Greg.

My Wed night sketch group went to a coffee place so I sketched my friend with the coffee counter in the background.

Joan T
10-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Here in NY at the end of Sept we were having some unusually warm weather, so of course I headed to the beach. There were several hurricanes brewing in the Atlantic so the water was rough, but there were a lot of people like me who came down to the beach.

Joan T
10-13-2017, 06:13 PM
That same weekend there was a music festival at the beach, so while I was sitting there I could hear music all day. I did go up to watch for a while and sketched one of the bands. They were so retro. The singer was very Bon Jovi like and the closest guitar player looked like he belonged in the Grateful Dead. lol I started with one of the band members and the sketch just kept growing, even adding some of the audience.

Yorky
10-14-2017, 01:16 AM
Wonderful sketches Joan, the band sketch was very ambitious. I like the tone ink sketches a la Steve Reddy.

Doug

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Thanks, Doug. I started with the guy with the beard and then the sketch just kept growing. lol

Wine and waves...a good combination.

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:16 PM
October brought the Inktober challenge, so I've been making sure I either do a separate ink drawing for the day, or do the drawing in ink and then add watercolors. This group of sketches was all done with a group of sketching friends in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The area has some really nice, old brownstone buildings. As with most places in NYC it is being "gentrified" and trendy shops are replacing many of the stores that gave the neighborhood character.

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:19 PM
All of these were Inktober sketches. I have been trying to do some of the ink sketches with a twig and Chinese ink. It has been good practice. The result looks more like a charcoal effect.

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:23 PM
The peacock and the sheep in the previous post were done at the Suffolk County Farm. The other two sketches here were done at a place called Swell Taco. I have a sketch group that meets on Wed evenings and now that the sun is setting early we have been looking for indoor locations. Swell Taco was a good place for sketching and dinner.

Yorky
10-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Such variety! Lovely sketches Joan.

Doug

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:36 PM
My husband and I headed up to Maine for a long weekend. I sketched on the ferry ride from Long Island to Connecticut. My sister's town has an event called Pumpkinfest and all kinds of pumpkin activities go on. I sketched one of the artists decorating her huge pumpkin on the street. The pumpkins to be decorated were about 300 pounds. Then there was a pumpkin parade. I didn't sketch the parade itself but the people waiting for it to start instead. Then I sketched some of the pumpkin boats being delivered for the pumpkin regatta. It started raining so I didn't get to sketch the actual regatta. Instead I sat under the overhang in front of the bookstore on Maine Street and sketched another decorated pumpkin.

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:41 PM
I did a few other sketches while we were up there. Included are sketches done at Pemaquid Harbor, Pemaquid Point, and a farmstand.

Joan T
10-23-2017, 05:43 PM
On the way home I allotted time for a sketch outside Bob's Clam Hut where we stopped for lunch, and then a final sketch on the ferry home. Luckily my sister and my husband don't mind that I sketch when we go out.

hobbyartist87
10-23-2017, 10:26 PM
Great sketches Joan.

otherworlder
10-24-2017, 12:29 AM
So many beautiful sketches on this page! My favorite is the bottle of Yellow Tail :D

provenceaquarelle
10-24-2017, 04:20 AM
Sooo beautiful!!!

I like the twig and ink results. Quite interesting.

Raindrop
10-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Bob's Clam Hut looks very inviting! And yes, it looks like your husband is a old hand at getting sketched. He's just chilling out, regardless. :lol:

Joan T
10-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your comments Sandra, Otherworlder, Maria, and Raindrop!

Here are a few more of my Inktober sketches. The first two were done with a twig and Chinese ink. The scarecrow looked like he needed color so I added some.

Joan T
10-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Now for some assorted sketches from various places.

First, a sketch done with my sketch group at a place called Hoptron Brewtique. There are always some patrons to sketch there.
Next is an ice cream shop on the north fork of Long Island. I sketched it from across the street and resisted sampling anything.
The farmstand was also on the north fork...and I did sample their produce.
The last sketch is from a protest I attended.

hobbyartist87
10-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Very nice sketches Joan. I am amazed at your ability to do beautiful ink sketches and your watercolor skill and one day hope to be at your level.

Joan T
10-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks for those sweet words, Sandra. I have to give WetCanvas a shout-out. I got a lot of practice for years doing the Scavenger Hunts (and still do). All that practice had a big effect on my work.

The NYC Urban Sketchers recently met at Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. It sounds strange to be sketching in the cemetery but they are really interesting. This one is huge and is the resting place of several important figures. The statuary and mausoleums are lovely. I sketched several of the angels, mausoleums and the main entrance. The first angel I did using watercolor pencils and the mausoleum was done as my Inktober sketch that day using an Elegant Writer pen.

Joan T
10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
After sketching at the cemetery we all walked to Greenwood Park which had an indoor and outdoor bar with games and music. We sat outside at long picnic tables which made it easy to sit and sketch each other and later share our work from the day.

Joan T
10-27-2017, 05:23 PM
I kept up with my Inktober sketches. The town of Bellport has a scarecrow contest every year and I try to get over there a few times to sketch them while they are on display. The sketch of the trees was done with my twig, a stencil brush, and Chinese ink.

Monastic Bat
10-28-2017, 10:36 AM
All your sketches are great and always a treat to see.
Regards,
Greg.

eyepaint
10-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Love your sketches with twigs. Looks like charcoal, in a way...

otherworlder
10-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Twig and ink sketches look so cool, I especially love the landscape piece.

Joan T
10-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks Greg, EP, and Otherworlder!

My sketch group brought some props to sketch last week. Then we added a basket of popcorn and beer.
I sketched a small crane down at a marina for Inktober. It was red so I ended up painting it too.

Joan T
10-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Here is another Inktober sketch done down by the ferries. I used my Elegant Writer pen to shade this.

Joan T
10-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Here are some sketches I did last Saturday during an unusual urban sketching day. The NYC sketchers spent the day sketching at the Dyckman Farmhouse, an old Dutch Farmhouse located on Broadway in Manhattan (who knew there was a farmhouse in the city/) , while our counterparts from USK Indonesia were sketching on the Spice Island on Manhattan Street. The Treaty of Breda connected our countries back in history. The Dutch sold the island of Manhattan to the English to get exclusive control of the spice trade in the area now known as Indonesia. We are doing a sketch trade with USK Indonesia. We are sending them a bit of Manhattan while they are sending us a bit of the Spice Islands. The sketch I sent to Indonesia is the last one of the house.

Joan T
10-29-2017, 09:02 PM
We had about 34 NYC sketchers take part and we met later in the day to share sketches and a drink or two. I did get to sketch a few of the other sketchers who were across the table from me. They were sketching too.

Yorky
10-30-2017, 02:19 AM
Excellent sketches Joan. A farmhouse in Manhattan!

Doug

provenceaquarelle
10-30-2017, 05:46 AM
As usual, Joan, beautiful sketches.

What paper do you use, please?

Helen
11-03-2017, 09:47 AM
As always, wonderful sketches and I so admire your consistency... you sketch and post regularly.... Maybe that should be my 2018 resolution.

Joan T
11-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Doug - Thanks!

Maria - My paper varies with the medium I'm using. Often I use watercolor sketchbooks or mixed media if I am using paint, like Stillman & Birn, Bee Paper Sketchbooks, Arches, Canson/Montvale sketbooks. But if I am doing just ink sketches I use random sketchbooks. Some take inks better than others.

Helen - Thank you.

Here is a small group of Inktober sketches done with various kinds of ink. I included the ink sketch of the house shown previously, but here it is without the watercolor that was added. The second sketch was done with my twig and Chinese ink.

Joan T
11-05-2017, 06:24 PM
There is a surf shop in the town next to me that I've been wanting to sketch and finally found a parking spot with an unobstructed view.
The second sketch was done with my Wed evening sketch group. Indoor locations are necessary because it gets dark before we meet now.

Joan T
11-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Here are a few more Inktober sketches. The first and last were done with the twig & Chinese ink. I wet some of the ink in the first one to see what would happen.

Yorky
11-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Fabulous sketches Joan, wonderful lettering on the Lakeview Cemetery sketch, that's difficult to get right.

Doug

Raindrop
11-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Wow Joan, these are lovely! The scarecrow is adorable. I like your colours, they look fresh and full of energy.

Joan T
11-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks so much Doug and Raindrop!

These sketches were done in two different towns, Dobbs Ferry and Hasting-on-Hudson that are about an hour north of where I live. We were looking for a spot that had hills since Long Island is so flat. Both towns are along the Hudson River.

Joan T
11-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Here are my final Inktober sketches. You'll notice that the first one was painted later and was in the previous post.

Joan T
11-13-2017, 09:13 PM
It was good to get back to color. lol Here are two local scenes and a view I saw outside my development the other day. The National Grid workers were busy digging.