GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Origami Orchard
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 4feet by 3feet
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Acrylic mostly with collage aspects. Finished today, yet I am not 100% sold it is finished. To me it still looks a tad unfinished, but I do not want to overdo it. Most of my work has many layers, so I am tempted to add a bunch of tiny magazine cutouts in the shape of maple leaves and have a few falling/floating leaves as well Or just gel finish it as is to hold the paper in place.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
1) does this need more interest? Cutout leaves on the upper section of the orchard?

2) should I change the origami queen to blue instead of yellow? Adding more contrast.

And any comments and/or critiques are welcome and as always I appreciate your time and effort.

DreyDay
01-10-2017, 02:08 AM
1. You have too much symmetry. Add in some more foliage in the middle but offset it to the left or right slightly, with the same cutout theme you have going on the bottom. Add just a few clusters of leaves in the trees to add variety too.

2. Yeah change it to blue because at first glance I thought it was a bear, but maybe it's just me.

Otherwise great painting, original, has that abstract quality to it that would make for a great work of art to hang above a sofa.

watchinpaintdry
01-10-2017, 08:48 PM
if you squint your eyes,the sun looks too yellow/bright maybe needs to shimmer, looks perfect apart from that, to me!

Ava Jarvis
01-11-2017, 01:31 PM
I love pink sky and darker pink/orange leaves, the trees contrasting strongly against that sky and creating a lovely frame for the center of interest. I'm curious about the one branch that's shooting across from the right—it distracts me a bit, but I still think this is lovely.

"No symmetry" is not a hard and fast rule, at least not to me. Symmetry can be used to emphasize the importance of a subject in a composition. I feel like this meeting of the origami people is correctly emphasized this way, especially at this distance. The symmetry feels right to me.

Perhaps the only reason I'd suggest shifting the queen to blue is so she will stand out more against the sun (very nice mosaic style rendering of the sun there, by the way, really brings out the paper emphasis of this world, same goes for the leaves). However, I would be careful that the blue and the green still work together if you do this.

Otherwise I feel this piece is done. I feel that it has said something significant. I feel like it's said something awesome about this fantastical world. Neat!

melindaxyz
01-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and perspectives. I ended up changing the painting but may redo this version and I agree I will create a Blue Goddess.