PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble January 2017

CM Neidhofer
12-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to a brand new year of the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives, artistic endeavors and friendship! I hope you will all chime in and we look forward to hearing from you.

Here's a link to last month's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417215

robertsloan2
01-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Purr thank you! Happy New Year!

I don't have any resolutions this year. Maybe "enjoy my art more." Something like that. Spend more time spoiling and loving on my sweet new cat, Sissy. Here's that latest photo of her again, shouldn't have posted it with so little time for everyone to enjoy her!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2017/70184-12-31-2016_Sissy_Sink.jpg
Sissy in the Sink

She likes laying in the sink as much as China Princess does. I think it's something about the shape of it that makes sinks comfortable for cats. When they lay around, a curved sink gives some back support and when it's warm inside the cool porcelain must be very comfortable. She's not a water kitty though. They're very rare and she avoids water as much as any cat.

This morning when I sat outside I had both of the barn cat boys on my lap, giant orange Sutekh on the bottom and then Calcifer laying on top of him. They purred loudly and snuggled down so I was out there for a couple of hours. Once they get settled in I can't bear to move.

robertsloan2
01-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Went back to the old thread and love that red laptop! It's beautiful!

CM Neidhofer
01-03-2017, 01:25 PM
With the new year comes yet another new ailment. I'm going to need a hip replacement at some point in my future. Have bone on bone and filled with arthritis. Going to hang in there as long as I can with it because work dumped me off my health insurance for not averaging enough hours, when I'm not scheduled enough hours to meet that requirement. Found coverage through the Marketplace that will at least cover me for office visits, but no emergency coverage. Until/if I can earn back the "privilege" of coverage at work again. What a mess.

PeggyB
01-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Robert love the picture of Sissy; she's a beauty. Wish I could post pictures on WC, but my Windows 10 and the WC picture uploader just won't interface. I wish the iPad & iPhone would work with WC too, but alas that's not to be.

Christine I'm sorry to hear of your medical difficulties. I know there are some who disagree with me, but I think it is just plain "sick and wrong" that people have to suffer because of our lack of medical coverage for all citizens. If full coverage is good for the politicians, why isn't it good for the citizens that pay their wages? Enough said on this subject. I pray your coverage is sooner rather than later reinstated. I know how miserable it is to need hip replacement!

I started the new year with the cold from Hell. It actually started on Christmas Eve. I went to the doctor to be certain it wasn't turning into bronchitis, and at that time it hadn't. However, she told me they are finding it becomes bacterial in some people so she gave me an antibiotic prescription and said if I wasn't well in another 3-4 days to have it filled because it most likely had become bacterial. Well today is day 4, and my husband is filling the prescription for me. 😔

CM Neidhofer
01-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Robert love the picture of Sissy; she's a beauty. Wish I could post pictures on WC, but my Windows 10 and the WC picture uploader just won't interface. I wish the iPad & iPhone would work with WC too, but alas that's not to be.

Christine I'm sorry to hear of your medical difficulties. I know there are some who disagree with me, but I think it is just plain "sick and wrong" that people have to suffer because of our lack of medical coverage for all citizens. If full coverage is good for the politicians, why isn't it good for the citizens that pay their wages? Enough said on this subject. I pray your coverage is sooner rather than later reinstated. I know how miserable it is to need hip replacement!

I started the new year with the cold from Hell. It actually started on Christmas Eve. I went to the doctor to be certain it wasn't turning into bronchitis, and at that time it hadn't. However, she told me they are finding it becomes bacterial in some people so she gave me an antibiotic prescription and said if I wasn't well in another 3-4 days to have it filled because it most likely had become bacterial. Well today is day 4, and my husband is filling the prescription for me. 😔

I agree Peggy. And who knows if I'll even have the minimal coverage I did come up with by the end of the month. It's scary right now. Hope you feel better soon. In the meantime, I bought a cane and use it when I walk to take some of the pressure off the hip. Seems to be a not so happy new year for a lot of people.

PeggyB
01-04-2017, 02:50 AM
Christine I know you may not want to do this, but when your hip is bone on bone a lightweight walker is more helpful than a cane. I've used both, and still sometimes use my cane. With a cane you use uneven pressure on each side of your body. With a walker it is more even. You can feel the difference if you use your cane to walk into the grocery store, but then use the grocery cart as a walker as you shop. Of course if your grocery has an electric cart as mine does so much the better.

PeggyB
01-04-2017, 03:58 AM
I just found I can upload from my iPad. :clap:

Here's Katie. Well her eyes anyway. I needed a fast pet portrait for an invitational show in Seattle, and had time only for this small painting of her eyes. It's about 4 x 8 in various pastels on multimedia pastel board.

I titled it "Peek-A-Boo Eyes See You".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2017/1976948-IMG_0567.JPG

robertsloan2
01-04-2017, 03:33 PM
OOOH! Katie's eyes are so beautiful! She's lovely! What a showstopper! Love her face. You got just down to her nose in that and it's fantastic. Great title. Wonderful painting! She's just so cheerful - love that expression! Ears are part of the expression too and hers are bright and lively, pointing right where her eyes are focused making contact! "Play!" She's wonderful!

Snarling and hissing at your work insurance troubles, Peggy, that's a nightmare. Agree about the walker, when I finally got one it helps a whole lot. You can also use it for a chair if you have to sit, if you get the one I have, and it's handy as a small shopping cart sort of thing with the bag in the seat. Makes it an all around useful tool, much more useful than just a cane. I get around on the cane just going out to the truck but any farther or if I have to carry anything, I use my walker. Get the kind with wheels that folds up and has a padded seat and bag under it. Don't settle for less, that's the most versatile model. You'll actually get better walking speed with it too. Also won't get uneven muscle use on your arms, the walker spreads it out better when you really have to lean on it.

PeggyB
01-04-2017, 03:50 PM
"Snarling and hissing at your work insurance troubles, Peggy, that's a nightmare."

Not me Robert; Christine. I was blessed to have my husband retire from the military, and that insurance is good for life. I wish the rest of the nation had it too. In my opinion this country is very backwards when it comes to caring for the health and education of our citizens.

Agree about the walker, when I finally got one it helps a whole lot. You can also use it for a chair if you have to sit, if you get the one I have, and it's handy as a small shopping cart sort of thing with the bag in the seat. Makes it an all around useful tool, much more useful than just a cane. I get around on the cane just going out to the truck but any farther or if I have to carry anything, I use my walker. Get the kind with wheels that folds up and has a padded seat and bag under it. Don't settle for less, that's the most versatile model. You'll actually get better walking speed with it too. Also won't get uneven muscle use on your arms, the walker spreads it out better when you really have to lean on it.

EXACTLY right! I love my cane for short, not often purposes. However, when my back is acting up I much prefer to use a grocery cart for support for all the reasons you have given. I have digerative disc disease, and if I don't exercise regularly it will give me big problems. I haven't been to the pool in a month. First because we are doing some home remodeling and then just before Christmas I got a cold from Hell that became bacterial. I started on antibiotics yesterday, and I hope one "round" will knock it out in five days. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I am breathing more easily this morning. 🙂

Thank you for the lovely comments regarding Katie. I know you know all those things you pointed out weren't accidental; it's all in the compositional planning. There is no such thing as a "perfect" photo.

robertsloan2
01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Hee hee, no, you're so right about that. There's never a perfect photo.

I got this one today but had to tweak in Gimp to correct the lighting. My new muse posed for me in my daughter's knitting basket. Obviously she likes to knit fluffy cats, right? Or maybe she just got it and filled it with soft yarn and knitted projects as a cat bed. Had to be that. She fits so perfectly she must have intended it for Sissy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2017/70184-1-5-2017_Sissy_Basket_017.jpg
Sweet Sissy in the Knitting Basket 1/5/2017

Maybe she's volunteering to have her shedded hair spun into very soft yarn. She's left me some nice big clumps of it on my clothes!

I love that walker. It lasted five years before the seat cracked and my daughter's fixing it for this weekend. The seat is a bit odd now since it crumpled but she's going to brace it so it's solid again. The basket and the way it works while walking are the same.

It makes all the difference between how far I can go and how much I can carry with or without it. This Saturday is the "Newbie" Society for Creative Anachronism event, lots of classes running all day and a medieval feast. Everyone goes in garb, which makes it a lot of fun. It's like a Renaissance Faire without tourists at it. My persona is Italian Renaissance but my current stuff isn't authentic to that. Or is, but looks like "artist stumbling around without his jacket after a drunken night and wearing baggy work pants instead of nice hose" - which is pretty much what my persona is anyway. Later this Spring, my daughter will be making my good court outfit, a grand red velvet thing. I've got the fabric and pattern, we just need to sew it. And buy tights sometime before April.

I will be missing the first class of Johannes Vloothuis "Essentials of Painting Wildlife" which is frustrating. I just hope "Pastel" isn't the first one. Two out of three chances it'll be oils or watercolor first.

Without the walker, I'd probably be staying home at the screen. If I get sick in the next two days, I'll stay home but may not be able to stay awake through class - that happens. So glad those classes let you download the broadcast, but I'll miss chatting my friends during it.

PeggyB
01-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Sissy is such a pretty girl. Of course that basket is hers!

Sounds like a lot of fun, sharing, and learning. Love your description of your present costume. 😂 The new one will be grand.

Wishing you good health and good times.

Peggy

robertsloan2
01-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Purr thanks!

Lots of news here. Getting ready for another SCA event at the end of the month, weekend of the 27th, my daughter dragged my power chair out on one of the nice days and took it apart completely. It turns out that what I need is two new batteries that cost $18.99 each - affordable this month, so with luck I may be able to use it at the Barbarian Brawl. This one's not a one-day event but two days and the site has several buildings spread out in a park, to the point that I will need to get driven to the feast building from the one the A&S stuff is in. The good news is that the A&S stuff is indoors and all concentrated in the same area of one building.

It's not camping, there's bunks. I got signed up soon enough that I have a bottom bunk reserved, another important thing. I went to one last year at the same site and had some serious problems getting up into a top bunk. I was coming down with pneumonia and by the time I got to bed, I didn't have the strength to get in and out of it. I fell when I was climbing down to use the restroom, then didn't manage to get back up into it. I wound up using my daughter's cot instead, but very glad that I'll have a bottom bunk this time.

Still, having the power chair will make a big difference. The buildings are pretty large and people move around a lot talking. If I'm using the power chair, no one thinks anything of it. Even the walker doesn't always help, because if I get engaged in the conversation I'll wind up staying with the group long past the point where I should have sat down.

Middle of March is the big one, Gulf Wars. For that I'll be camping, but they set up a space right near the indoor activities for Handicapped Camping and I registered early enough that I should be in that space. It'll still help having the power chair. So I hope the batteries are all that's wrong and that it works fine after I get new ones. It'll make so much more activity possible.

Maggie, our newest animal, a lovely Australian Shepherd-Border Collie mix, got into the pond yesterday evening and Kitten brought her back soaking wet and spraying a doggy shower everywhere. She was so funny. She's a sweet dog and very beautiful, I don't know if I've posted her picture yet or not. She's just still learning some of the basic dog commands and since we get along, Kitten's planning on teaching her to become a service dog for me. Mobility aid, carrier of stuff so I don't have to carry it, and fetcher of help if I need it. So we'll be training her to respond to "Go get Lily" gradually, with Kitten going around the corner and Maggie has to go play Lassie and bark to bring her. It'll be great when she learns that.

I know I've got some good pictures of her, let's go sorting and see if I can find and crop one to post. She's a beautiful dog with very silky hair - surprisingly soft hair, almost like cat hair. That's one of her more endearing traits to me, her fur is so soft and she appreciates cat-style petting. She likes almost any kind of attention and is super friendly. Five years old and bouncy, full of energy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2017/70184-Maggie_12-29-2016.jpg
Maggie the Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix!

Here she is, knew I'd gotten a good profile photo of her. She does come indoors a lot of the time and is very well behaved inside. Much better than most dogs her size I've ever known. She has a plume tail sweeping around but is good about not knocking stuff over with it, though she will thump legs with it for attention. She's a very lovable dog. Thought people would enjoy seeing her!

Kitten helped make her pose for this, the shadowed hand to left is Kitten gesturing for Maggie to sit. She sat and posed like a good girl!

PeggyB
01-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Maggie is beautiful! Her mix of breeds is from highly intelligent dogs. It shouldn't be any time at all before she's trained to help you. They are dogs that need a "job" to keep them happy and out of trouble. Being with their human is important to them.

Your plans for the events sound as though they will be a lot of fun for you, and easier to get around with your electric chair.

Nothing new going on here. I'm pretty much recovered from the acute bronchitis although I still easily get out of breath climbing stairs. Yesterday I was able to vacuum, but did it is stages with sit down breaks. My class started on Tuesday, and it was inspiring to see my students again. I finished a small yellow rose that I'll post as soon as I get it photographed later today.

Judibelle
01-14-2017, 05:18 PM
She is beautiful, Rob! And how great it will be to have a service dog! Very happy for you!

PeggyB
01-15-2017, 06:56 PM
For anyone interested, I posted my small yellow rose that I mentioned above in the gallery. For now the title is "Yellow Rose". 😂 Not unique, and I welcome suggestions. Do others dislike naming paintings as much as I do? If the gallery didn't require it, mine would all be just numbers.

robertsloan2
01-18-2017, 05:12 PM
I tend toward descriptive naming on paintings, though it's not usually that hard for me to think of something. I do come up with the same titles repeatedly sometimes though. "Autumn Scene" or whatever isn't always that imaginative. I should probably branch out a bit.

Titling paintings is easier for me than naming characters in novels though. That's where I'll get seriously hung up sometimes. It gets bad if I forget a name and wind up guessing a different one while the novel's in progress! Or think of a better name, change it globally and then run into the places I mistyped the original name, scratching my head over which character that was supposed to be!

My little fluffy muse posed today in a Blick box, this one's very tempting as a painting subject!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2017/70184-1-18-2017_Sissy_Blick_Box.jpg
Sissy in her Blick box!
(She likes the way I order art supplies so often, they come in her favorite toy!)

Shallbe
01-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Hello everyone!

Someone from this forum once told me that "life happens" as an explanation for a lack of answers to a question I'd posted.:lol:

Boy, were they right! I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger, and ergo not here very much.

Among all the other things keeping me busy, though, I took a painting challenge. My goal will be to paint an ACEO sized painting of a door/window/gate once a week this year. So far, so good.

I'm amazed at how much I'm learning already from doing the challenge! I'd heard that doing minis frequently could speed up the leaning process, but I didn't realize how much! I also finished one of the mist pieces I had asked for tips on quite awhile back. I'll try to upload a photo of it too that thread soon.

Finally, I have a discussion question: our small city is hosting a plein air painting exhibition soon. Artists will register, then choose or be assigned a venue in our city to paint and the results will be juried.

My question is: how do you know whether you're ready for such a challenge?

I don't think I am confident enough yet, but I thought it might result in a good discussion.

Shallbe
01-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Dropping in quickly to let everyone know that I updated the "painting mist" thread with one of my attempts. Here's the link. I hope it's ok to post it like this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21019850#post21019850

shallbe

PeggyB
01-30-2017, 03:09 AM
Hi Shallbe - Good for you taking an ACEO challenge. Yes, painting small can be very educational. It's fun, fast, and it is hard to over work. I'd enjoy seeing some of them.

As for a plein air challenge- well that can be very unnerving if you've never painted plein air. However, it is also a very good way to see how others work outside, and to see if you enjoy it. I'd suggest painting in your own backyard or a nearby park before trying it in public. You need to learn to observe carefully exactly what you want to paint. Outside is SO big compared to a photograph that is already composed for you. You might try just drawing many small compositional pieces first; nature rarely composes paintings on its own.

CM Neidhofer
01-31-2017, 05:06 PM
I had my last four teeth removed yesterday. I go back in April for impressions for my dentures. Can't wait to have teeth again and be able to eat normally again and smile!!

PeggyB
02-01-2017, 02:41 AM
I wish you speedy recovery Chris!

CM Neidhofer
02-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I wish you speedy recovery Chris!

Thanks! Everything feels pretty good. Just don't like being completely toothless for over two months. Ah well...worth it in the end.