PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Godmother - game

bvanevery
12-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Other word game threads seem to be slowing down, although maybe it's just the Christmas season. I've thought of a new one! This one is more conceptual than about words per se. The idea is, name an item that someone in humanity desperately needs to have bestowed upon them. The item is completely your own invention. The logic of why the item needs to be bestowed, might be completely lost on everyone else, and that is to be expected. Feel free to put an explanation in [brackets] so that people get what the heck you're on about.

I'll include a canonical example from The Wizard of Oz as an example. Try to imagine you've never seen the movie / read the book.

bvanevery
12-26-2016, 02:54 PM
ruby slippers

[they take you home, assuming you want to go there!]

ColinS
12-27-2016, 02:03 AM
"Brotherskeeper".

[A cross between a compass and a smartphone. Finds a lost brother anywhere in the world, contacts him with instructions on how to fill in the paperwork to reunite with family.

Based on a true story heard over dinner tonight of a Syrian Kurdish refuge family who had arrived in Canada but had "lost" a brother along the way. He turned up in a refugee camp in Germany but needed someone to help him fill in the volumes of paperwork to be reunited with the rest of the family. Enter our friends' son who, as chance had it, now lives in Germany not far from the camp, works with refugees and stepped in as the "fairy godmother" to get this young man's paperwork completed, submitted and approved.

But not everyone lost will have a handy contact nearby, hence the need for a device to do this for anyone anywhere.]

bvanevery
12-27-2016, 03:43 PM
sentient hairpiece

[Needed for a certain President Elect. ;-]

TCWhit
01-07-2017, 06:34 AM
a compassionate heart [is there really an explanation needed?]

opainter
01-26-2017, 11:19 PM
a fourth wish [because three wishes are never enough]

bvanevery
01-28-2017, 10:05 PM
menthol face rag
[for all the people with the never ending chest cold I've got]

AllisonR
02-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Colin, what a cool story!

menthol face rag
[for all the people with the never ending chest cold I've got]
We have something similar here - its menthol you rub on your nose, throat, chest... whatever area is congested. I do agree a steamy hot menthol face rag would be better.

A control-Z in real life.

bvanevery
02-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Skintone pinwheel. Has a calming effect on people's racial animosities and certitudes.

opainter
02-05-2017, 07:26 PM
jealousy blindfold
[so you don't have to see things that make you jealous]

Luv2shoot
03-12-2017, 09:53 AM
A bottle of Confidence Juice for when you are facing major challenges like going on a job interview, asking for a raise, speaking to a crowd, etc.

bvanevery
03-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Lick 'O' Sense. Basically a salt lick, maybe with some kind of acerbic or vinegary undertaste to it, to jar the brain into gear. Needs to be handed out in large numbers to various politicians, especially Trump. Like would he make unsubsantiated accusations about Obama wiretapping him, if he had a Lick 'O' Sense? Plus the oral stimulation might cause him to shut his mouth more often. Many other people in his political stable could benefit from the Lick 'O' Sense as well.

bvanevery
03-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Finger Cuffs. Companion piece for people who compulsively tweet before they think. Or tweet when they're not supposed to be doing so, like driving a car. Although, the design would need refinement to be safe for that application. Maybe they look a lot like mitts, so you can use your whole hand to guide a steering wheel, but you can't push push push on a dumbphone screen.

Shuttlebug
03-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Bottled toddler energy. No explanation necessary!

bvanevery
03-24-2017, 08:43 PM
An unanswerable smartphone.

opainter
10-04-2017, 08:48 PM
toe bumpers

bvanevery
04-03-2018, 12:51 AM
I need a "drama wand". Wave it and drama magically goes away.

Harmony24
07-08-2018, 08:32 PM
A filter. [people need to learn how to talk respectfully to other races]

bvanevery
07-09-2018, 02:55 PM
A lawn jumper. Every time you're tempted to think the grass is greener somewhere else, you lay out your lawn jumper, and hop over it a few times until you're satisfied with both sides.

Kosmon
07-09-2018, 05:15 PM
big stinky

you'd get it, you know, at the dispensary, and it'd . . . uh . . .

what?

opainter
07-12-2018, 09:58 PM
windmill tilters

[so I can stop tilting at windmills :)]

Kosmon
07-13-2018, 12:17 PM
[very good!]

bvanevery
07-13-2018, 04:07 PM
A Leaning Tower of Leadership. World leaders have to go stand on the top of one of these things when they make their political decisions. It leans in proportion to the polarity of the decision they're making. Like its namesake the Leaning Tower of Pisa, it can get scary to stand on when the leader becomes sufficiently extreme. And if the leader vacillates a lot, they might be inclined to toss their cookies.

Harmony24
07-27-2018, 08:50 PM
Ok I'm doing another

More chocolate. Anyone else agree?

bvanevery
07-27-2018, 09:58 PM
That reminds me of the Great Molasses Flood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood), although it was a different gooey substance. You can have too much of a good thing.

This reminds me of household messes, and Moms cleaning them up, and various Moms saying "I'm not an octopus!" Hence:

extra pair of hands