PDA

View Full Version : how to etch copper

amit262
12-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone!
I want to build a acids rooom in my warehouse.
I thought of using ferric chloride with a bit of citric acid as it seems the most safe way to etch it, but the ferric chloride seems to be pretty expensive.
I checked in web and besides what I already knew, like nitric acid, I also discovered the hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide combination.

so my qustions are:
1. what would you use? I got ventilation but not sure about his quality.
2. how do I ontrol the acid strengh?
3. how can I determine if the etched lines are deep enoughe?
4. from what material should the gloves and the protective glasses made of?

I will be grateful for any help you can provide :)

winking cat press
12-24-2016, 10:07 AM
I do a lot of copper etching..... and I use Ferric Chloride exclusively. I used to use acids, but they are more difficult to handle and don't bite as cleanly.

As far as costs go, Ferric Chloride doesn't seem to cost much (or any) more than acids on a cost per plate basis.

amit262
12-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I do a lot of copper etching..... and I use Ferric Chloride exclusively. I used to use acids, but they are more difficult to handle and don't bite as cleanly.

As far as costs go, Ferric Chloride doesn't seem to cost much (or any) more than acids on a cost per plate basis.

thanks for answering,
I found a place selling ferric chloride for around 25$ for liter. I did not check about other acids prices therefore I'm sure if it pricey or not.
what concentration the ferric chloride you working with? and what do you do about the bubbles?

Moqui Steps
12-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Same for me. I have used Nitric Acid before but prefer the Ferric Chloride.

I am currently using the "Edinburgh Etch" in a vertical tank with a fish tank bubbler and am very pleased with the way it works with hard grounds and aquatints. Faster, cleaner, not nearly as much undercutting. I have not tried it with a soft ground but I would be surprised if it didn't work well also.

I bought some food grade Citric Acid off amazon to mix up my solution.

http://www.nontoxicprint.com/etchcopperandbrass.htm