PDA

View Full Version : looking for paper

Pastelshelley
12-23-2016, 01:53 PM
Hello--does anyone know of a handmade or deckle-edged paper that will stand up to multiple erasures? I want something with 4 nice edges, smaller than a full sheet of watercolor paper (so something like 18 X 24), that I can use both charcoal & soft pastel, and erase between layers. Not a sanded surface, smooth but with a bit of texture...maybe an etching or printmaking paper? I'm planning on probably 3 layers of charcoal & pastel. Suggestions?

robertsloan2
12-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you could start with a strong heavy watercolor paper and use a long deckling ruler to trim it to size. I don't usually use handmade papers but that comes to mind as a possibility.

The best paper I can think of for it would be Stillman & Birn's all rag 180lb paper, which comes in hot press (smooth), cold press (medium) and rough. The rough is very interesting because most rough paper like Arches will have very large texture elements creating large-scale textures, while the S&B Rough paper has small but very deep troughs that allow more flexibility with small details and still take lots of layering.

For erasing, you might not want the rough. Anyway I think the sheets are larger than 18" x 24" so they could be trimmed to size on a deckling ruler.