PDA

View Full Version : Whalers Bay

vegaskip
12-20-2016, 05:07 AM
Just a wee comparison of styles and methods. This was done over two afternoons if I remember right, inspired by research while doing a commission of Deception Island in its 'Hay Day'
I thought it interesting and a little known episode in several people's lives, not least The Duke of Edinburgh.
Ideal opportunity to show a variety of types and terrains.
Apart from being watercolour it will be vastly different to Chas's precise, well planned and rendered style of working.
I remember the 'orange Auster' well, I fact I sent away to 'Model Maker' for the plans for a working model of the SnowCat ( never finnished )
I'm looking forward to this WIP.
Seasons greetings to all, while I get on with a dozen pencil sketches for chapter headings for a book on HMS TARTAR

Canso of Hunting Surveys, employed by Falkland Island Dependencies Survey of the Antarctic Peninsula 1956/7
Britannia and Protector and one of her Whirlwinds, during HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's tour off the Antarctic. All at Whalers Bay Deception Island
W/C 15 x 10 inches

NeilF92
12-20-2016, 07:06 AM
Interesting stuff Jim . Good painting .
Happy Christmas . Kee-eeep painting!

Fishjay
12-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Another job well done.

Lester

Chas McHugh
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
We work in different ways; but the common bond is the story and keeping heritage alive be it aviation, maritime, or both. I have Catalina on my radar, perhaps if the Antarctic project is a success, I would return to the UK via the Falkland Islands and see what I would do with such a composition. I particularly like the Endurance Whirlwind having built an Airfix one as a lad.

Ianrevealed
12-21-2016, 07:11 AM
For the nostalgic - the genuine Airfix Endurance Whirlwind built about fifty years ago and stored in mum's attic for almost as long!

I depended on a paper round for money to buy paint etc, so tended to use what I had - used to build them when the parents were downstairs fondly imagining I was doing homework :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2016/1985972-Airfix_Whirlwind_front_left_reduced.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2016/1985972-Airfix_Whirlwind_rear_left_reduced.jpg