PDA

View Full Version : italian tornado in pencil/coloured pencil

shadwell
12-19-2016, 05:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2016/208070-_DSC6296.jpg

Chas McHugh
12-20-2016, 02:27 AM
There is no disputing that it is a Tornado - it is the right shape and around the intake area you have captured some nice form. In other areas, you have been a little heavy handed.

As children we learn to draw with an outline after which we colour it in. As Artists we learn that a bold outline is not required and can be counter productive. In our arsenal is the knowledge of the properties of different pencils and the ability to be light of touch. We also become adept at the use of an eraser (or better still: omission) to create an effect of light.

If you view your work with a critical eye, you will notice the outline particulary the canopy transparency. The area around the nose is a little flat due to an absence of 'light'. The undercarriage is outline heavy void of any highlight on the tyres and therefore lackng in form. It is highly likely that a reference photograph was the same - but in my experience; when we set aside our reference photographs and attack the shape with an Artists eye, is when we optimise the artwork. Even now, if you have a particulary good eraser; you could make this work so much more pleasing to the eye, and give it shape.

Coloured pencils themselves are a minefield as some are waxy, others not so. Coloured pencils are one item in an artists bag of tricks that require investment as with some quality pencils, incredible jaw dropping work can be achieved. The best cost a small fortune, but are very different from student quality pencils.

NeilF92
12-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Certainly works as a strong Tornado picture . As Chas says the tones and outlines could be refined for a more realistic appearance .

Chas McHugh
12-20-2016, 10:08 AM
I cannot claim to have any expertise with Photoshop - but I had a play to illustrate my point of placing emphasise on light and shape.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2016/984204-Tonka.jpg

shadwell
12-20-2016, 11:02 AM
love what you did chas and does look good ,, the problem was the aircraft as shown in the ref shot was matt black so soaked in the reflective light to a large degree most was done in pencil and I'm only just starting to teach myself that so have just got the idea that you don't just use one pencil for the whole drawing , I'm just learning the erasing thing too and want to invest in some pencil erasers I can sharpen but also starting to hamper me nowadays is I suffer from severe carpal tunnel and a shake I've had since a kid but now I'm past the dreaded 5.0 seems to be progressing a little making 1/72 scale awkward so now do 1/48 the C/P are good quality caran dache ,,, I have a shedload of el cheapo ones but im thinking of setting them in resin then going on my mates lathe and turning them into drinks coasters finished off with yacht varnish and felt for the bottoms

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2016/208070-Copy_of_2007_0714cars0038.JPG

Chas McHugh
12-20-2016, 11:29 AM
If it is Matt black - you have rain.
There are many factors to consider before resorting to artistic license.
I use several types of eraser including an electric one, but my favourite is a grip pencil in which lead is substituted by rubber.

Ianrevealed
12-21-2016, 07:26 AM
On the subject of erasers - I find that putty rubbers are easiest to use because you can shape them and work an area with a fine tip several times to get details and highlights. The other advantage of the putty is that it lifts the mark right off the paper so there is no smudging of the pencil marks.

When it comes to colour pencil things get more difficult. I have recently tried using the Graphitint and Inktense by Derwent. First of all you cannot 'see' the colour being applied until after water has been added. So I did a colour wheel with them and use it as I work the image. The second problem is that they do not rub out once 'wetted' (is that a real word?) and are difficult to remove prior to that.

I hoped that they would be a suitable and more controlled way to add colour to a rough sketch instead of water colour paints, but as mentioned, then come with their own set of application issues.

I guess its all about practice, practice and more practice!