PDA

View Full Version : Rembrandt 120 half stick set

kcwhitney
12-19-2016, 12:18 PM
I am very much a novice at Pastels, but have admired them from afar and want to begin to use them. Starting very slowly, I have bought the Rembrandt 120 set.

There isn't a good chart of what is contained in the set. I have determined the list of colors, and found the chart of colors from the company, such as it is.

The difficulty is matching the sticks to the chart, as there are no labels on the sticks, or map of the box (like chocolates). I am doing the best I can with my beginner's eye, and find it a good but challenging exercise.

Am I on the right track? Is there a better way?

stapeliad
12-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Congrats on your new pastel set! You will love them! :D

You can see the colors in your set here. (http://www.dickblick.com/items/20026-0120/#colorswatch)

Ok, here's how the Rembrandt color numbers work:
Each hue is assigned a number, then after the comma there is another number indicating the value. Higher numbers are darker, lower numbers are lighter.

So a 730, 2 is the same hue as a 730,7 but the 7 is darker than the 2.
You will find these numbers on the labels on the full sticks.

robertsloan2
12-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Great choice. They sound wonderful. Stapeliad, thanks for linking to the online chart, that may help in identifying them.

Look at the side of the box lid. I have the 60 color half sticks set and all the colors in the set are swatched by number on the printed side of the sleeve that holds the box closed. Black box, printed cardboard sleeve with little row of printed color swatches. Just printed colors and numbers. Those can be name-checked with the list on Blick. They were also in the same order as in the box, which may also help.

My Unisons half stick set came with a blank color chart to fill in that had printed names and numbers. There was a blank one in the Rembrandt box too, but you kind of have to go by the sleeve colors to get to it.

I hope this helps. Check your box for that sleeve. The boxes don't stay closed without it, it's one of the better things about the system to have one.

kcwhitney
12-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Robert: Thanks for responding. I have noticed the tiny swatches and color labels at the end of the box sleeve. There is so little space allocated to them, that the colors numbers with five characters (such as 505.10), get the last character dropped. And the swatches are so tiny, and mixed with white areas, that it makes them impractical to use. At least, I could use that to determine the color numbers contained in the box. I have found the chart from Rembrandt's full line, and have working with that. Again, those white spaces don't help.

Stapeliad: Thank you for that chart from Blick. I had seen it, but wasn't sure if that 120 mix of half and full sticks contained the same colors as my all half stick set. I'll check it. The colors are better represented on this one than the one from Rembrandt themselves.

I would be so much simpler to have the sticks labeled. But again, the exercise is helping to get acquainted with the new set.

The reason this matters to me, is that I plan to try the still life class from Colorix, and would like to make sure I have the same colors as her to make sure I am on the same page as her.

robertsloan2
12-20-2016, 11:06 AM
With a 120 color set, you probably have at least similar colors to everything in Colorix's palette. The spectrum is there with values. I have taken the class and it's not important to have precisely the right color so much as to have A Version of that color - a mid tint and light tint, a warm version and a cool version, some darks, some super-lights. Feel free to substitute.

If anything, Colorix's Still Life the Colourful Way was what freed me to actively use smaller sets and still get good effects. She has a system for organizing color that has about 40 sticks in it, maybe less. With a little more work it can be done just using a starter set that has saturated colors, a white and a black - layering with the white when you need a tint, layering with black when you need a shade.

When you read the section on color pay close attention to the 12 color wheel. After you have identified all your sticks and laid them out again in their box, choose a white piece of paper and draw out that 12 color wheel. Organize all the colors for where they fall on the 12 color wheel. I might do it twice, once for the saturated colors and their tints and shades, once for browns and grays and really muted colors. Caput Mortuum and some others will come out grayed and count as grays even if it's a violet or a green or a blue. "Slate" grays come out as blue.

This is important for later painting because you can apply that color sorting method but decide the painting is going to have low saturation, say, a rainy day landscape or gritty urban scene where the only bright colors are street lights and the occasional small sign.

Charlie's class gives control of color.

I have the 60 color Rembrandt half sticks set and I would be confident of doing Charlie's exercises with that, even if there were a few gaps. I know there aren't any spectrum gaps in it and that I do have warm-cool reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues and violets.

Many videos and classes seem to go into using precisely the same brand and colors as the teacher. Charlie's class is wonderful because it'll free you from that. Any brand will do, any variations on the colors suggested. You are using the same brand she is, and that's a big assortment so I really wouldn't be surprised if you did have all of them - but you might not, might have to substitute a little. The main thing is you probably can substitute with what's in the box instead of having to buy extra sticks.

Please message me when you start the class if you're going to post your exercises. I'll come look at them and comment. I'd love to go over that class again, the results of the method are so rich and glorious!

kcwhitney
12-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Thank you so much for your response, Robert. I do appreciate it it. I am looking forward to the class very much, but am a little nervous about starting something new.

For what it is worth, the 120 mixed half and full stick set does have many differences from the 120 half stick set I have. Mostly differ tints of the same hues. The chart is still helpful, though.

And the color swatch/ list on the sleeve has 120 little boxes, but it lists 331.7 twice, so there is a mystery in store to identify that last color.

robertsloan2
12-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Oh that does sound like a reason to visit a brick and mortar store with swatches, so you can identify that stick. Misprints can be so frustrating!

Jay-bird77
12-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Helloi have a set of 45 color box from Rembrandt and they were my baby's I and my very first artist quality products I was like a kid in a candy store!
I had just gotten a inheritance a lot of money for me anyway so I looked in c.c.Lowes who have a great selection. But anyways I ordered my set from Blick's and they were a Rembrandt I think 45 pcs. 15 full stick's and 30 half stick's and it happened to have quite good colors for landscapes which I absolutely love! I also just bought 2 Mount Vision's same values 1-very dark violet and 2-very dark brown and a Rembrandt lovely bluish-grey color a mid-value. I am still not satisfied with my colors so I'm going shopping 1

robertsloan2
12-20-2016, 09:41 PM
That sounds like so much fun, Jay-Bird. Enjoy your shopping! Lots of sales going on now online, watch for the coupons and sales!

I just got to a big set that was buried under my bed and it's like going shopping again. I hadn't seen them for over a year. I'd forgotten how much I loved them and how wonderful the bigger range was.