PDA

View Full Version : RAF Hastings aircraft at Nicosia - Cyprus. Oil on canvas.

Chas McHugh
12-15-2016, 11:23 AM
An oil painting on stretched canvas started 29 July and finished today. Measuring 97cm x 60cm and depicting an RAF Handley Page Hastings transport aircraft at RAF Nicosia in Cyprus. Inspired by a visit to the airport (now inside a UN buffer zone) by myself in 2010.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2016/984204-image.jpeg

Trumper
12-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Very nice indeed,i love the colours and tones.

vegaskip
12-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Lovely painting, used to watch them doing practice parachute drops on Seletar, or Tenga can't remember which, while we were tied up at the Naval base in Singapore.
Jim

gebhm
12-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Outstanding!

NeilF92
12-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Good job Charles - nicely balanced scene .

Chas McHugh
12-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Thank you for the comments. As a background to the painting; it was created to support a presentation that I gave to Manchester Aviation Art Society and is therefore acedemic insofar that obeying the Rule of Thirds - being a Golden Ratio canvas size - showing lines of perspective - a 2" border around the edge which is nominally a sterile area - drawing the edge that will eventually be covered by frame. For the presentation itself; it looked like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2016/984204-image.jpeg

Clearly the refuel tanker encroached on the sterile area for which I freely admit to underestimating just how big a Leyland Hippo tanker is. (The clue is in the name). Being academic, I found scaling additions and adjusting for perspective quite straightforward.

Ianrevealed
12-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Great painting. Out of interest how did you develop the form for the aircraft, did you use an existing photograph or a model, or draw it out of your head?

Regards,
Ian.

Chas McHugh
12-17-2016, 11:24 AM
The outline shape of the aircraft was from a photograph - but that is where similarity ends, for the airframe was a different version, colour scheme, era. This forces the artist to research the developments the airframe has had over the decades to ensure that authenticity of the timeline depicted is correct. Thankfully most aircraft enjoy symmetry and so an image can be flipped digitally. Aircraft such as Canberra BI(8), Sea Vixen, even Halifax, with offset cockpits can be problematic but nothing that cannot be overcome. It simply involves lots of cross referencing during which time you become quite a guru of the aircraft with sharp powers of observation.

shadwell
12-17-2016, 07:34 PM
obviously the symmetry wouldn't work for a blohm und vost , but yep it does work but you have to be wary of detail differences and model differences like panels . aerials etc etc ... loved seeing this one progress both online and in the flesh , looking forwards to seeing the finished painting 1to1 as you pick up so much more than online

Gray539
12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Nicely done, Chas. Like that colour palette. I find the old prop planes to have such graceful lines.

faminz
12-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Very nice pastel colours Chas. I thought it might be evening at first but the shadows imply the sun is quite high overhead.. I assume the light is always gorgeous in the Med!
I saw, inside and out, a Hastings when on my uk aviation tour in 2013! Big aircraft! I think at Newark museum.
Nice work on the landscape in general too.

Chas McHugh
01-01-2017, 07:18 AM
You were right first time Faminz in you assumption of it being late evening. I pay a lot of attention to light and am aware that ambient light also creates shadow as well as direct light. Adding reflections to the foray makes life even more interesting; and I did consider that.
Had it been mid-day sunshine; the shadows would have been virtually black whereas you may notice that the shadow is relatively light and not inclusive of any harsh edging. I deliberately reduced the shadow effect towards the wingtips as the distance between metalwork and surface extends. Pretty much all vehicles have shadow even on an overcast day. A phenomena that I have witnessed whilst using NVG (night vision goggles) from a helicopter, is that trees with vegetation have shadows beneath them on the darkest of nights. LIGHT:- we cannot always see it; but it is always there, and it does play mischief with academic expectation. The human eye cannot recognise 'Red' at night; despite what any artist ever tries to portray. Yet if you use NVG for any length of time; when you return to the real world, often everything is monocolour reds. (NVG display is monocolour green)