PDA

View Full Version : Fall Leaves

Yvonne Keogh
12-14-2016, 04:39 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-14-2016/1985576_Fall_Leaves_(s).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fall Leaves
Year Created:
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted the background using watercolours. This was then varnished and the oil applied when it dried. It's an affect I'm trying to achieve. This is sort of abstract, not realism. The photo does not give the true colours which are lighter without all this heavy contrast. Also I apologize for the glare at the top.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would appreciate honest gut reactions on any aspect of this.

Jules Hilliard
12-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Striking! Very colorful. Nice contrast between the lights and dark. I really don't think I would change anything.

chantz_2011
12-23-2016, 09:47 PM
I love the colors and your abstraction of the foliage. I also like the idea of oil over the watercolor background.

What I find uncomfortable is that my eye keeps going around in circles. Maybe it would be different if not for the photo being inaccurate?

I'd like to hear what others say about the composition.

maryinasia
12-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I like the sense of wind and light.

billmahler
12-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Love this.

Try to get a picture without the glare, it's distracting from the beauty of this piece.

EshArts1
12-24-2016, 09:55 PM
I think the colors are unexpected when viewing after reading the title. However I absolutely love it. I'm disappointed that the colors at the top are due to glare for I thought it was a nice transition. I look forward to you posting one with out the glare. Overall very nice.

garyk
12-25-2016, 03:22 AM
I saw the glare straight off- I struggle a lot with them. Also with dark edges when the light does not strike evenly on the piece. One really needs studio lights to get it right, or a perhaps room with multiple windows so light can be more diffuse. Well I am not a photo pro but this is how it seems to me. I see why photo pros charge a considerable sum for their work.

dpnrj
12-25-2016, 07:12 PM
love the color choices and the high contrast. i agree that compositionally, the eyes are drawn in circles. i think it it because you have focal points on three of the golden peak points and the center of your canvas is bright.

i might try recoloring the center of the canvas to the muted darker background greens, and reducing the focus on at most two of those focal points. leaving a diagonal or just a single point of interest.

This is still a work to be proud of, and i'm glad that you shared it.

jim

Tom Brown
12-25-2016, 10:22 PM
What in the world is a "golden peak Point"?

chantz_2011
12-25-2016, 11:31 PM
What in the world is a "golden peak Point"?
I took that to mean the Golden ratio points:

https://www.goldennumber.net/art-composition-design/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Yvonne Keogh
12-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments and feedback. I'll have to do another one like this because I gave it to my mom for Christmas.