GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Kitchen Shadows...WIP
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 32 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Started this last night....spent about 4 hours on it. I still am messing around with values and haven't done much with detail on items sitting on the counter. The shadows on the cutting table need to be altered.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, as always. Jim

jerryW
10-27-2003, 06:12 PM
as usual the main player is the mood
that is great
forgetting details and coaxing up the contrast
is my take on the project.
course i see red on the BBlegs.
and I see blue in the shadows.
I think it's very well blocked out.

bocote
10-27-2003, 06:20 PM
doing very well so far. no specific questions so I gotta leave it at that. I'm sure it'll turn out fantastic.

Helen Zapata
10-27-2003, 07:01 PM
oo..oo..oo..oo..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2003/13900-bananadance.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2003/13900-bananadance.gif

It already looks so cool! You make everything look so beautiful.

Lightguy, that's you. :)

Helen

Rabbit Twilight
10-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Wow! I like it. I'm definately coming to your house for Thanksgiving! We are remodeling our kitchen, and it's a real mess right now.
Oh, there is one small thing Jim. There seems to be a bug of some kind on your cutting table. :)
Your painting really looks good. I'm loving these interiors.

Lady Rando
10-27-2003, 09:18 PM
LOL ... I see the bug! :D

All kidding aside this painting is very moody and I like moody work. I would consider this one done. :)

YLCIA
10-27-2003, 11:20 PM
I love the moonlight/ night darkness play:) Great work!
And I see the bug too:D

Julia

artinoils
10-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Love this! Even more viewed from distance values snap.

woodguy
10-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Spent about 2 hours on this tonight....still not completely satisfied, but will wait until tomorrow to make corrections. I feel that it is REALLY very close to being done, but I am afraid that I will go too far....decisions, decisions!

Thanks, Jerry....A little bit farther now than blocked out, but still not quite there yet?

Thanks, Bryan...My goal is to have it turn out "fantastic"

Thanks, Helen...You are so supportive, and I appreciate that very much!

Thanks, Bobbi....You are invited for Thanksgiving. There is already about 15 people coming, and there is room for extras! Oh, and I got rid of the bug!

Thanks, Tamara....The bug is history! Thanks for looking and commenting.

Thank You, Julia....I appreciate you looking and taking the time to comment. I do not know where that dang bug came from!

Thank you, Susan!....If I could just incorporate your palette into these....sheeesh!

Thanks all for looking and commenting. This update is really a pretty bad picture. The paint is still wet and there are some hot-spots. Plus the Pic was taken at night under studio lighting. Jim

artbybradgreek
10-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Really looks great! I too like the effects from the moonlit room.
But I'm affraid that when you got rid of the bug and cleaned the table, You wiped the shine from the table. LOL
Think that some highlight on the front side of the table will really make it pop out at you. Maybe just on the top's edge. it is there in the first post but gone now. Other then that I feel it's done. Brad

My Website (http://www.artbybradgreek.com)

Helen Zapata
10-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Touch ONLY the table. The rest is perfect and looks done to me!

I think you might have cleaned up the table a little too much. It's lost the lovely woodguy looseness that it had, and is present in the rest of the piece. It's beautiful, but I miss your "slurp". :D

Other than that.... ooooooeeeeee! This is so lovely, Jim! I LOVE the light, and your subtle colors. Your grays in the stove and frig.. what colors did you use in those grays? Do I detect some Payne's Gray?

Helen

Rabbit Twilight
10-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Jim.....I'm really sorry about kidding around about the bug thing.....I didn't mean to make light of your painting. It really is good. I like that touch of light that is on the pot or whatever that is that's sitting on the stove on the left. Just the right about of reflection.
One thing that I noticed on your second post is you seem to have gone down in value a bit in the brightest lights. In the first one, I got the feeling that the brightest light was hitting the side of the table, and then the side of the stove. I hope you bring that back. Can you scumble a bit when it dries?
But, whatever you decide to do.....it's a beauty.

Andrew
10-28-2003, 10:34 AM
I think the looseness makes the painting. Call it done, or at the very least, don't overwork it.

Andrew

mcknight
10-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Very well done! I'm really liking these interior light studies.

YLCIA
10-28-2003, 11:58 AM
I love it ,love it... Please let it be as is:)

Julia

Gilberte
10-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Chiaroscuro for sure !

Paintonbrush
10-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Excellent
do you photo or set up and paint on the spot?
looking forward to the finish

Wayne Gaudon
10-28-2003, 05:46 PM
like it .. you are getting real good at the light and shadow thing.

jerryW
10-28-2003, 06:03 PM
more juice!
slick now
soon
a bit more astro

harv
10-28-2003, 06:12 PM
v nice - very moody - can imagine seeing the kitchen at night.

leverettfinn
10-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Wow...first post seemed like night....(moonshadows) second seems like early morning...with the added color...One of those everyday "ooooh look at the light" moments that stun us! I love this......Thanks!
Lauren

pero lane
10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Jim this is really great...you are the Master Of Shadows!:p

dornberg
10-29-2003, 05:27 PM
the shadows belong to the kitchen
but i think
this kitchen belongs to these shadows

giniaad
10-29-2003, 06:10 PM
am loving this, Jim!!

Phranque
10-29-2003, 09:15 PM
I really like the mood of this one (I like all your work) Feels like stumbling into the kitchen for a late night snack. Love the pot and kettle.

woodguy
10-30-2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks, Brad! I agree...I washed it out. Hopefully some minor changes will have improved that indiscretion.

Thanks, Helen! I tried to only touch the table, but well, you know how that goes! But the rest I only touched a little bit. Probably won't even be noticeable in a digital image. About the grey's ...no Paynes Grey...just raw umber with UBlue and T White or, raw umber with just about anything else with white. I used Ivory Black for the Tea Pot only.

Thanks, Bobbi! Pointing out the bug was GOOD! Thanks for looking and being so observant. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Andrew! I only made small changes, so I hope that I did not go too far.

Thanks, Dave! Me too.

Thanks, Julia! I could not resist a couple of small changes. Hope that it still works for you.

Thanks, Gilberte! I appreciate you looking and commenting.

Thanks, Diane! I walk around with camera in hand at certain times of the day when I know the light is going to be just right. I take pics and go from there. When I need a refreshing "feel" of the scene, I just wait until the next day at about the same time. Then I take it in.....and head back to the canvas.

Thanks, Wayne! I appreciate it.

Thanks, Jerry? More "Astro"?

Thanks, Harv! This is probably a good place, or maybe not, to say that this was not a moonlit scene. It was acually done at about 5PM. Colorado has very strong late afternoon light. I took the pic and used it for a starting point. I just used intuition and feeling to let this develop, so I guess it really is moonlight!

Thanks, Lauren! Maybe with the small changes it will change the time of day again!

Thanks, Pat! You are the master of compliments!!

Thanks, Bob! I am partial to Shadows. We adopted a retired 85 lb, black Greyhound who's racing name was "KD Daddy's Shadow Dancer," now he is just plain old Shadow. I haven't painted him yet, but I do like "Shadows."

Thank you, Giniaad! You always look and comment. I appreciate that.

Thanks, Frank! I am glad that you noticed the pot and kettle! I liked the way they turned out too.

Thanks again to everybody for taking the time to look and comment! I am posting the newest and for now final of this. Jim

artbybradgreek
10-30-2003, 01:36 AM
I believe you nailed it Jim!!
Looks great and the changes really makes the shadows come alive. Thanx again for sharing and for putting up with us LOL.
Now sign it and call it finished ;) Brad

Helen Zapata
10-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Oh YES!!!!!

Jim, you are something else. This is such a beauty! Your finishing touches are PERFECTION. You have the sun back, and the table I was whining about is alive and well. :)

Thanks for the palette description! Raw Umber eh? I'm going to have to rummage around and see if I have any of that. I didn't realise it was so yummy.

I adore this. I need more words. I love your colors, and your brushstrokes, and your composition, your light, your shadows, your wonky perspective, and DANG IT.. EVERYTHING about this painting!!!!

You paint "Subtle" with such "Impact"!!

Bravo my friend.

Helen

artbybradgreek
10-30-2003, 11:33 AM
LOL too funny LOL

It might just be envy but Helen ..you need to calm down LOL J/k
Jim ..get a print to Helen quick!!! LOL It is a great looking piece for sure. Brad

Helen Zapata
10-30-2003, 12:22 PM
grinning at Brad. It's shows, huh? But, but... (I love it!)

I was sitting here trying to figure out some way of buying it and sneaking it onto the walls of my bedroom without anyone noticing I was buying art instead of selling it!

Helen (still swooning)

coulter
10-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by woodguy
...My goal is to have it turn out "fantastic"

:clap: Bingo Jim! :clap:

Wow, I'm speechless, great work Jim...

Mark

Rabbit Twilight
10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
It's really beautiful Jim!
Also, congrats on your greyhound. I work in a Veterinary Library and one of the students brought her greyhound in for me to see. It was so sweet and didn't want to leave me. She said that was unusual and it had never done that. I hated to see it leave. It was a beautiful dog.

giniaad
10-30-2003, 11:32 PM
BIG WOW, JIM!!!
you knocked this one out of the ball park!

"full moon kitchen"
just the kind I like to pad around in
late, quiet, and special...magic!

woodguy
10-31-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks, Brad! This is done.

Thanks, Helen! You are amazing...and my ego responds exceedingly well to your kind and encouraging remarks!

Thanks, Mark! Your words don't do my ego any harm either!! Hope you had a good trip home. See you in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Bobbi! Greyhounds are pretty amazing. Lovable couch potatoes. They sleep and rest 23.5 hours a day, but the other .5 hour they do like to be "exuberant." And when they run and play it is amazing to behold.

Thanks, Giniaad! Geeez...You all have been very kind, and I appreciate the nice encouraging comments on this piece. It makes it hard though, because of the expectations for the next. But your enthusiasim adds the right amount of energy to hopefully make the next even better.

Thanks again to all who have looked and commented. I DO appreciate your time and your appreciation of this painting! Jim

artbabe21
10-31-2003, 11:15 AM
Well since I've been gone I see we're moving into the rooms now.....LOL

This is superb...I love that you start out by saying you are playing with values....it's such a key component to any work.

I thought of you so much while I was in Paris, everytime I took a
photo of a village or building scene...:)

aaasp
11-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Seems I'm late, but I just want to had my bravo to the chorus..