PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a lightfast pastel paper that's not sanded?

Thinky
12-01-2016, 05:22 PM
I thought Canson Mi-Teintes was lightfast, but found out some here on WC saying it isn't.

What is a lightfast alternative?

I already have UART sanded paper (hopefully lightfast?), so I'm trying to find an option that's not sanded.

robertsloan2
12-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Art Spectrum Colourfix paper is sanded and lightfast. So is Pastel Premium sanded paper.

Canson Mi-Tientes changed their lineup and reduced how many colors they have, but chose more fadeproof ones. It's a good paper. Still a favorite of mine. I haven't seen any major problems with anything I've done on it.

Ah. It's not as many colors but for black and gray and fawn, Stonehenge paper is all-rag and lightfast, Stonehenge black is superb for staying black. It has a soft, rich texture, a bit toothy. Handles well with hard pastels.

There's also using lightfast watercolors on watercolor paper, heavy 140lb or heavier so that you can really soak it with the underpainting. That gives an advantage of being able to choose colors, use iridescents and other special effects, any lightfast watercolors or watersoluble colors. Acrylic inks may be lightfast enough too, main thing is with those to test it for texture after it's dried so it still leaves enough tooth on the paper. My current favorite is the Stillman & Birn 180lb rough paper, that has a glorious tooth and handles pastel great while not having huge elements so the broken color can work even on smaller paintings. They sell it loose as well as in sketchbooks.

Also if cost is a problem with sanded, watercolor paper and Art Spectrum Multimedia (Colourfix) Primer in all 20 colors gives black and any of the colors opaque, except clear. This also allows doing sections of the paper different colors, something I'll be experimenting with once I get my studio built and can unpack all my stuff including the primer jars.

Thinky
12-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Thank you so much Robert! You're very kind to share generously your expertise! I appreciate your help very much!

MChesleyJohnson
12-06-2016, 03:03 PM
You can also make your own. Get etching (or printmaking) paper, some acrylic gesso, pumice (FFFF or FFF grade) or marble dust. Stir in enough pumice to the gesso so you can feel the grit between your fingers. Add acrylic color to suit. Then brush on two or three thin layers of this pumiced gesso to the etching paper. The more layers you brush on (letting it dry between layers), the more consistent the tooth. If you want more of an unsanded feeling (like the Canson), use less pumice or none at all. Some acrylic gesso has enough "tooth" to work with pastel.

I hope this helps!