GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Big Mineral camp lake Texoma
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 24x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was posted incomplete in acrylic section. I got it back framed today.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm improving but techniques of depth are difficult.

SilverSwallow
11-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Your off to good start,and I commend you for getting outside and painting from life! Thats awesome. Real life painting helps you see far more than photographs, and gives you a truer understanding of light, so well done.:clap:

While I can list a lot of technical issues that you could work on, I feel its mostly irrelevant and this point as your just learning. The only advice I have therefore, is to learn your perspective. This is the reason you are having trouble with depth. There are major perspective issues going on here, and no amount of painting on top will fix bad perspective.

Think of building a house on a weak foundation. No amount of construction work on top will make up for something that wont hold together.
There are a ton of free resources on perspective. If you were my student, I would tell you to go grab a sketchpad, and start drawing in it everyday, and concentrate on perspective. Just draw cubes and cylinders in perspective.

Often times, its tempting to jump straight into painting, but having a strong line work and perspective and good solid draftsmanship skills under it, will make the painting all the better.

All the master artists/painters have and had strong core drawing skills. If you spend the next month doing nothing but perspective, I guarantee you that your work will jump ahead so far.

Keep at it, and dont get discouraged. Best of luck.:thumbsup:

rickjf
11-30-2016, 09:36 PM
Silver thanks for your suggestion, very helpful

~JMW~
11-30-2016, 10:53 PM
A lot of it is absorbing & training your eye to really see the base shapes and not what you think each shape should be..

~JMW~
12-01-2016, 12:03 AM
Generally best to level any water line in a photo or your viewpoint, or it gives a feel of running off the edge.. *There are times water is not level like waves, rapids , steep drops, waterfalls etc..*

Practice some basic sketching to get a feel for perspective , lots of videos and books on 1 point perspective and more..
https://www.google.com/search?q=1+point+perspective
https://www.google.com/search?q=1+point+perspective#q=1+point+perspective&tbm=vid

Then after you get that part, then look at light direction, shadow angles, highlights..

more tips in my siggy links to WC foum topics

La_
12-01-2016, 01:12 AM
ha, this is fantastic, rick, never get rid of this piece.
i love newbies
great advise from everyone above so i'll just reiterate the importance of shapes - it's not a camper, it's a shape - it's not a road, it's a shape, nor a tree or distant horizon, they are all just shapes and when you can think that way and shut off what you think you know about what things look like and just draw/paint the shape [within the shape next to the shape on top of the shape] ... you'll build an accurate version of the reality before you. it's quite amazing actually, almost magic, when you can quit seeing the pre conceived notion of a thing and by doing so, paint a thing, accurately.

good luck, i look forward to your epiphanies

la