PDA

View Full Version : ..

it'sALLart
10-27-2003, 11:57 AM
i'm not giving up... it seems to be picking up s.. l.. o ..w.. l.. y around here but still not enough to pay the gallery rent. i have hope tho. i am getting more calls from artists that want to show, so i think i'm on the map at least.

i'm getting to the point of where sales are becoming nearly secondary for me. i look at some of my work and think "i don't mind if that sells, 'cause i want to keep it forever". and do any of you fall in love with your "children"? I'm sure you do. i'm wondering what people keep that are NFS and why... mine are usually "breakthrough" paintings, but there are only one or two.

usually it's "EVERYTHING MUST GO !!!"

sorry kids, you must all be sold off for medical experiments... (old monty python line) :D

timelady
10-29-2003, 06:12 AM
Dont pop in here often...

I've only had a few that were NFS. I loved them and they too were breakthroughs. I took them home... then about 2 weeks later felt they were ready to go out into the world. I suppose with real children that period of infatuation would have to last at least 16 years! haha.

My usual response is that being NFS doesn't pay for my rent, food or utilities. Maybe one day when I'm selling more, and more consistently, I can be slightly precious about a few. :)

Tina.

gill
10-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi:
Things may be slowly grinding to a start, or something like that. I sold 2 at a show last week and a friend in another city sold one at at show. It has been a long year so far.
My NFS has dropped to a very few.

gill
www.gillpollard.com

Phranque
10-29-2003, 08:51 PM
I usually do commissioned work of people and animals. I have portraits of my pets, two cats, two dogs, and three of my four parrots. Those are not for sale but I take some of them with me to exhibit as samples. I could have sold the one I had done of my old orange tabby Bruce a few times but I'm glad I didn't. He recently had to be put down and I really appreciate this trbute I have of him now. I have sold painting I really liked in the past but I'm aiming for this to be my principal income, so.... some of the "kids" had to go. I think it is important for artists to hang on to different pieces throughout their artistic carreer if only to reflect upon and see where they are headed.

it'sALLart
10-30-2003, 08:17 AM
refreshing, the different attitudes about NFS...

when i first jumped into a new space for selling, i had to fill it with whatever was handy and my walls at home were bare. it looked like i had been robbed. some of them were pieces that i had done "just for me" and so instead of NFS, i simply put a much higher price on them. I figured, if they sale, it won't hurt so bad because they are bringing me a nice fat income.

yeah, that idea worked until a favorite one sold. :crying:

once i got over it being gone forever, I realized that it's more fun to hold on to them for a while, then let them go and enjoy NEW favorites. after all, we are constantly improving as artists and therefore the new work SHOULD be better and better, right?

I guess it comes down to being an artist for a living and realizing that the paintings are the product and the product must sell or we arent making a living as artists. So, in that regard I agree with timelady, but there's this one that i just can't seem to let go of mentally and i wonder if there's some kind of "energy" that surrounds it because many people seem to comment how much they would like to own it, but yet never buy it. hmmmmm.....

timelady
10-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Yes, I think it depends on your attention span too. 2 weeks is a long time for me. :) :) :) In fact, my actual art collection (not mine) usually gets rearranged on the walls at least a few times a year.

Admittedly, part of my preciousness disappeared when I moved everything to my studio. I refuse to have my own art at home now (my theory being that I work 7 days a week and at least want a couple hours a night at home without having to look at work). And the studio space is limited so I can only have so much on the walls, and then everything else in storage. So I try to get as much out as possible. Sort of like I'm forced to kick the kids out to fend for themselves!

Tina.

O'Connor
11-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I sold my children and used their rooms to display my NFS work for myself.

JohnEmmett
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM
There will come a time very soon when I have no more room. I've taken over the basement... and every wall... and every corner I own. Soon it's survival of the fittest.

I planned to sell something on eBay but now I've got it in front of me and I can't stop looking at it. #$%^!

Back in high school I thinned out what I owned by throwing away what I considered unworthy art. My mom saved those from certain death... some of which were given away and hung. What the... :confused:

Anyway... I heard Picasso kept his originals and that's how he really made it big. If you want to keep it make reproductions... sell those.