PDA

View Full Version : Corel Painter Tips?

GregoryMartz
11-28-2016, 09:53 PM
Hi, all!

I've fiddled with an Ipad, then I realized it isn't as good or accurate as what I may be able to do with a drawing tablet on a PC. I just ordered a Wacom Drawing Tablet (screenless) to hook to my PC. It is going to come with "Corel Painter Essentials."

Do you have any tips for a beginner of using this program and a beginner of creating art digitally?

A little of my background:
I'm a beginner who has a concentration on drawing cartoons right now (where they are sketched, inked, then colored within the lines). Your tips don't have to be specific to this, but I thought I'd let you know that this is what my practice consists of right now.

LavenderFrost
11-29-2016, 10:33 AM
I am just getting back into using Painter. I'm not sure how different Essentials is but it should be pretty easy to use and there will be a manual if you need more information on how do do something.

Like any program, you will have to play with it for a while to see what works for you. Also look for videos on YouTube.

jow104
11-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Also you can down load trial Corel painting apps free. They often then offer lower download prices when trial ends.
Use utube free tutorials to get practice runs

GregoryMartz
11-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Sweet thanks! Can't be too different than some of the other programs I've used. I think I'll enjoy having a full program for drawing my comic art. I do have Clip Studio Paint, which is designed for comic art, but I might enjoy the workspace of Corel Painter better, especially for one-page art. That's why when I ordered a Wacom Drawing Tablet - I got the 'Art' version so it would come with Corel Painter Essentials. I'm a beginner, so I may be far from making my own comics, but when I start to create comics, I would most likely use Clip Studio (formerly "Manga Studio") for that.

keenart
12-25-2016, 02:23 AM
If you are interested in cartooning then Clip Studio Paint Pro is tops.

b'anna
12-30-2016, 08:43 PM
THe only advise I can give is to play, play and the play some more. Any digital program requires you understand what the brushes can do, so play!

keenart
01-08-2017, 12:16 AM
Painter is a nice program but unless you are going to paint more with brush and do less with line it is not suited in my opinion for Manga. Corel Essentials has even fewer tools and some of the best tools were cut from the software in version 4 and so version 5 is better for casual art. I have both programs and recently uninstalled them both.

keenart
01-12-2017, 08:42 PM
I might just change my mind about Painter. The day after I uninstalled my old Painter software and sent a survey into Corel, they sent me an offer to upgrade to 2017 for $99.00. Foolish as I am I took the offer, downloaded 2017, and love it. On the Start screen you can select different workspaces and content, one of which is now designed for Manga. Guess I will be using it again after all. Isn't life strange.

Rod Turner
01-26-2017, 01:25 PM
I've been a Painter user since 1993. It can be a weird program. It is also the best, by far, of the digital painting soft wares. You will like the Essentials program, but you will want to go to the full version in a short while.
I started out by striving to use oil painting techniques in a digital format. As I went on I began to use the unique capabilities of digital painting. I still go for a classic oil look but I fully use the tools of Painter. My art did not really take off until I started making my own brushes and textures. Hope this helps!