PDA

View Full Version : painting style

shadwell
11-25-2016, 08:16 AM
after many years painting and much of what I thought was altering my style I find that no matter what you paint or how you paint it there is that certain something where you can look at works and in the main know who painted it if familiar with a few of their works

yes we improve technically but there is still that thing in our work that defines us like a finger print from first painting to our latest , even when you're trying to avoid it

even if I look back to a painting I did waaayy back in junior school the evidence was there even if we prefer not to admit it

do others feel the same ??? surely I'm not on my own ??

NeilF92
11-25-2016, 11:19 AM
I can usually tell who painted what among the big names as well as friends on here . As you say it's just something - even when the time of day, time of year , location are different . Along similar lines , one of my pet hates is the antiques expert who takes one glance at a painting and says . " This is obviously the hand of an amateur ". Even though the piece looks excellent . How come ? Are the pro's all cloned to paint in the same manner as each other?

Trumper
11-25-2016, 12:07 PM
I am afraid i look at a painting and decide whether i like it or not then look at the name :) . Some artists you can see quite easily ,Coulson,Wooton,Cuneo ,Taylor BUT there is now a huge input of newer blood it is harder.
I did enjoy watching the programme with Fiona Bruce ,was it called Fake ot Fortune where they went deep into the painting and it's history.

shadwell
11-25-2016, 01:27 PM
one of my pet hates is the antiques expert who takes one glance at a painting and says . " This is obviously the hand of an amateur ". Even though the piece looks excellent . How come ? Are the pro's all cloned to paint in the same manner as each other?

that's a whole new can of worms concerning art and the establishment there are artists who draw millions for s*** because they are in the right circle of lovies and they hype it up ,,,,, whilst vastly superior artists struggle to sell a painting

vegaskip
11-25-2016, 01:48 PM
I think it is a case of the painting is worth 1,000 however the signature is worth 1,000,000. You can see this when a 'fake' is proved genuine.
What really gets up my nose is Teddy Bears. People just seem to go Doolahly when they see one, scruffier the better.
Jim

Trumper
11-25-2016, 03:25 PM
I think it is a case of the painting is worth 1,000 however the signature is worth 1,000,000. You can see this when a 'fake' is proved genuine.

I think you are correct, i went to a local art exhibition last weekend and to be honest a lot of it looked awful ,much better artists on here but there were some good ones.The prices they were asking for some of the tosh was eye opening:eek: 500 for some marks and a weird title ,but i guess thats whats in the eye of the beholder.

shadwell
11-25-2016, 05:13 PM
what they ask and if they actually sell are 2 different things ,,,,, the one that got me recently was the half yellow half blue painting that sold for millions .... even the most hapless individual could buy the materials for under 50 quid and do it themselves in less than an hour on a boring sunday

Trumper
11-26-2016, 10:03 AM
:)
Does anyone watch the sky arts channel [i detest Murdoch and his lot] but it comes with the TV package.There is a programme on at the moment -Landscape artist of the year,some different ideas and works on there.I am gobsmacked as to how the more realistic "fine art " work in oils manage it in 4 hours painting over it without muddying the colours. http://www.skyartsartistoftheyear.tv/