PDA

View Full Version : Bark Brothers

MKathleen
11-23-2016, 01:25 PM
New to this forum

Carved from a piece of Cottonwood Bark found near my home in NW Arizona.
Great to see a forum for the wood craft folks.

Kathy

SparrowHawk7
11-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Nicely done! How large is it?

MKathleen
11-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Hi Ken, Thank you

It is 18" Tall X 5 1/4" Wide (at the widest point)inches

This Cottonwood we have here isn't as thick as the Cottonwood you find in Colorado. Still there is just enough bark to carve.

Kathy

SparrowHawk7
11-23-2016, 06:37 PM
I was fortunate enough to work with some Aspen once a few years ago ... I thought it was very nice - especially due to it's white color. Up to then I had used Holly but it's getting expensive and hard to find. I've never run across Cottonwood but some things are just not imported here in Florida.

MKathleen
11-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Hi Ken
I carved an Indian woman using aspen made the base out of it too. Aspen is nice to carve and make beautiful walking sticks. I haven't carved a stick with other friends have. They use the black nubs for animal faces such as bears.

I'll upload my Indian woman after Thanksgiving for you to see. I also did some wood burning on her too.

Cottonwood bark can be a task master as it can chip just where you don't want it too. I carve cottonwood limb which is nice to carve. I really like basswood much more stable for sure.

Up here you find Cottonwood growing near washes as they really like the water. I never cut a limb I gather off the ground or from dead fallen tree's. The Navajo and Hopi carvers carve the root for their kachina dolls.

Kathy