Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
As seen from Norris Point, NL

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&C welcome. Would love suggestions on dealing with foreground which I dislike.

La_
11-22-2016, 01:09 PM
i think the foreground is lovely, the darks in that centre tangle of grass is super lovely and the random scattering of flora is very nice. what, exactly do you dislike of that area?
i wonder of the white dribbles on the big hill in the background and the bright white on the left side water horizon. perhaps too bright?

la

Tom Brown
11-22-2016, 04:30 PM
La, you do have a way with words. The "dribbles" are actually snow, it really really really does stay in those crevices well into summer. I agree with the white being too bright, and will tone it down a notch. The foreground - hmmm, I'm not sure what it is that I dislike, but I dislike it a lot. I dunno, maybe I'll stick it away and have another look after the turpentine fumes clear outa my lungs, Or I have some wine - that should help, right?

~JMW~
11-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Maybe add some darker tones back into the lower foreground?
What area do you want as the main focus if there is one.?

Mark Szymanski
11-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Nice. This is very nice. I like the large masses. Color harmony is nice. Graceful lines meeting more upright lines. Cool.

For me, the foreground just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the painting. I think it would work wonderfully in another piece, but it doesn't harmonize fully in the way you've painted it.

Here's where I believe it is going off a bit, and why I think it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2016/1765836-thingymabbob.jpg

There is nice contrasts in here, and the colors are just fine - you've painted some great things here.

My objection is the type of line. I see chaos rather than the grace you've given the rest of the painting. All these lines in the grasses are at odds with each other - almost as if there is an army with spear and swords parrying and sparing with one another.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2016/1765836-thingymabbob_chaos.jpg

For me, my eye hits this area and I am not directed where to go... should I proceed right or left, or maybe up straight? When my eye follows a line it is continually blocked by another line. This creates a lot of energy in an area my eye isn't expecting it and causing me to linger too long here. So basically I guess it is competing with what is happening in the background. Maybe consider there is a bit of a light breeze helping to direct the grass in a more uniform direction in this area. A slight lean to the right or to the left of the majority, counteracted by the minority, in the direction you wish to the viewers eye to travel.

You've made some stylistic choices in the flowers. All of the stems and purple flower heads point straight up like little pointers. I find this type of movement is more stoic and staid giving a great feeling of stillness. These also are echoing the shapes of the pines in the distance. I like the few of the yellow flowers with their arching movements to help counteract that straightness of the purple flowers. Maybe a bit more oomph to one or two which will help guide you through the maze of purple.

Personally, I am not crazy about how that chaotic area sits on the mid-line of the painting...even if it is centered low. To me, because of the line work, it anchors the bottom of a line and it sets up a left and right "halvesies". When added to the end of the rocks up to the left side of the mountain, I think visually it reinforces a left/right look.

This is a great painting though, and I think there is a great deal to like - I am dazzled by your skies. Very nice feeling of a sky vault going on here. Great work!

Tom Brown
11-22-2016, 10:56 PM
I can't thank you all enough. I'm absorbing all Of this, it has s invaluable.

harryfisherman
11-23-2016, 02:08 AM
I can see attention to detail like edges etc. I think it's well done.

One of the things I do before a painting is almost done is put a picture of it in Gimp or Photoshop and desaturate to check my values. It would appear your values are very similar front to back. Values aren't easy especially with light colors.A master at this is Clyde Aspevig. Desaturate any one of his paintings.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2016/113016-1765836-thingymabbob.jpg

Tom Brown
11-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Made a few last minute value adjustments, fussed with the middle ground trees and added a boat.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2016/1986439-IMG_9518.JPG

SilverSwallow
11-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Did you just run this through some digital software or repaint it? It looks like you applied a warm filter and then darkened it somewhat. Everything looks like it was hit with a digital pass,but the issue with values are still there.

Other than that, I think adding the boat, has now made it the focal point, and the landscape has taken a back seat. So is it about the landscape or the boat?

Keep at it and good luck!

Tom Brown
11-28-2016, 06:29 AM
It's not about either. It's about both. I am definitely not one that believes a painting must have only one spot of focus. That feels very constraining to me. Sometimes I look for that, but not usually. This is just a little painting of what you would see, were you sitting in the grass in Norris Point, Newfoundland, looking across Bon Bay towards Woody Point. Yes, I did do some glazing and scumblng to alter the overall tone. Given the scattered patches of sunlight and shadow the whole value thing is beyond my ability, maybe if I had a good reference photo I could do it.

Shamrock15
11-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Hey Tom, this isn't too bad a representation. I stayed at Neddies Harbour a couple years back, so this is close to the view we had out the front. We actually hiked up the one in the background. it is a very brown piece of rock, and in early July there was snow. Looking for a picture to include...

Shamrock15
11-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Sorry - for some reason I can no longer upload photos from my computer!

Tom Brown
11-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Neddies Harbor Inn is a nice place, plus it has an actual restaurant. I love Norris Point. I've also hiked Tablelands Mountain.

Shamrock15
11-29-2016, 09:13 PM
We stayed a cottage rental near the Inn. The entire lower floor of a home, had a kitchen there. Got ourselves seafood from the distributor at dirt cheap prices ($1.99 a pound or less for fish, lobster was I think $3.99 a pound). My family really enjoys seafood, so this was fantastic. The Inn looked really nice too.