PDA

View Full Version : the river -study in blend modes

b'anna
11-20-2016, 10:50 AM
These were done in Painter 2017. The colorful one is the original colors I painted. Then I started playing with blend modes and textures. The colorful one has a minor texture added, just to give it a little something extra. I then blended the texture where I didn't want as much. I think the blend mode on this was multiply with a reduced opacity. The second was another texture and playing with blend modes again. It started with the same painting but I got a completely different mood to the painting.
Thanks for looking and all comments and critiques are gladly welcome!
Barb

John Blackford
11-20-2016, 11:28 AM
so did you use a filter or did you repaint the same painting twice? I like the color of the second one the best. seemed more soothing to me.

b'anna
11-20-2016, 11:34 AM
No, they are the exact same painting.It was all done In Corel painter. I found a texture photo I liked and placed it on the top most layer. I then played with the blend modes of the layer until I found an effect I liked, then just reduced opacity. I really love playing with textures and blend modes because as you can see, you can get a completley different effect. I especially like doing it after I finish a painting because it gives me ideas for future paintings.

John Blackford
11-20-2016, 11:48 AM
well done

b'anna
11-20-2016, 12:06 PM
thanks!

laika
11-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I like them both! The stream almost ceases to look like water in the second one, but the colors and the atmosphere are so nice. Great choice of woodland colors on the first. Very nice work and an interesting exercise to boot!

jow104
11-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Banna ,no.1 for me, but thanks for your info re blending, best wishes re hip and hope you are mobile quickly.:thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
11-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Nice, one looks like fall and the other like winter.

Lucy-Foote
11-22-2016, 07:56 PM
I really like both scene, with different colors.Have a different feeling to them both Great how we can change the mode digitaly.

Lucy

Elainepsq
11-25-2016, 12:40 PM
I like them both, and I agree, one looks like fall and the other winter.

What blend mode did you use? I'm curious, as I've taught classes on the blend modes, they are pretty much the same in photoshop and art rage, but I'm not sure about Painter. I've tried to give some good examples on how people can use the blend modes. Almost sounds like a fun challenge, maybe we should give that a go?!?!?

b'anna
11-25-2016, 01:20 PM
I like them both, and I agree, one looks like fall and the other winter.

What blend mode did you use? I'm curious, as I've taught classes on the blend modes, they are pretty much the same in photoshop and art rage, but I'm not sure about Painter. I've tried to give some good examples on how people can use the blend modes. Almost sounds like a fun challenge, maybe we should give that a go?!?!?

I honestly don't remember but I will check when I get to th PC. But what I did was find a colored textured paper I liked and placed that on top of the stack. I the tried all the blend mods with various opacities. Untill I found something I liked. I usuallyuse blend mods mostly with texture overlays.

AND I love the blend mode challenge!