PDA

View Full Version : Seated monk

chinapete
11-19-2016, 07:31 PM
This dates from 2013 ... Artrage on the iPhone with the pencil tool, originally posted on the Artrage forums ... Soon after, I largely gave up digital to return to traditional brush and ink, but digital still is very much a part of how I present my works to a wider audience, mainly by cropping or framing ... These days I tend to use Procreate ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2016/1027442-seated_monk_11-23-2013.jpg

Elainepsq
11-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Very Chiaroscuro.... very nice!

chinapete
11-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Very Chiaroscuro.... very nice!

Thanks, Elaine … I used to look at Giacometti’s drawings and wonder what sort of self-induced trance he was in as he made sculpted faces emerge from a chaos of swirling line…

But I had nothing so sophisticated in mind as I set about drawing Seated Monk, I was just trying to overcome a technical problem — hand speed… I was drawing too fast even for a simple pencil line on the iPhone, the lag was noticeable and my rhythm constantly was disrupted … Well, I thought, I’ll switch to the more powerful mini-iPad … But there was no improvement, and I began to repeat lines I'd already drawn, and the result is what you see...

Also, because it is a zen monk in meditation, I imported a photo of highly textured rice paper onto the iPhone as background … There were no digital tools for certain kinds of dry brush effects I wanted, but pencil on textured paper came close ...

jow104
11-22-2016, 04:01 AM
It doesn't look as if you have put a pencil stroke incorrectly in one place.:thumbsup:

chinapete
11-22-2016, 06:08 PM
It doesn't look as if you have put a pencil stroke incorrectly in one place.:thumbsup:

It was interesting to draw a line and have it not appear and then to draw another and have the first appear as though a different hand had drawn it ... A digital delay can be exploited for emotional and artistic effect ...

Lucy-Foote
11-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Quite different, I would say.

Lucy

chinapete
11-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Quite different, I would say.

Lucy

True ... The emotion is in the painter and the artistry is in the painting ... Beauty is not an emotion ...

arl
11-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Wonderful style; painterly.