PDA

View Full Version : Reference Question

Ratchet
11-19-2016, 02:38 PM
What do I do about areas where the reference is bad? I can usually draw or create the section
However,
I have a photograph of a horse behind a fence. Most of the horse is fine, easily seen but there is one portion that is in such shade it is dark without detail. Should I draw in that portion of the horse and guess at the shading or use the reference literally?
I tried various Photoshop corrections on the photo to lighten or repair the damage but the camera didn't capture any detail in that area. It looks fine in the photo but I don't think it will look good in a painting

~JMW~
11-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Can we see the ref..?

Ratchet
11-19-2016, 08:20 PM
The dark area is the body of the horse between the fence rails. I am not doing the fence wire which conceals that dark hole.
It didn't stand out in a small photo but in a larger painting, the area is a considerable amount of black blank.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2016/1986131-Ter_Horse_WIP.jpg

tuscanny
11-19-2016, 11:25 PM
You could look for another photo of a horse in that position and photoshop in into your photo where the area is black.

Ratchet
11-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks Tuscanny

It might be easier to put the original horse in that position and take another photo since that horse is almost next door.
OR
I could put the wire in which might be interesting and then the black is broken by the wire as it is in the photo
Or
A grey scale photo that I lightened considerably shows some small amount of variation. I could use that as a map to define the horse body

Thanks again! I am thinking in a different direction after your post.