PDA

View Full Version : testing your image in a frame

jackiesimmonds
10-27-2003, 04:18 AM
Hi gang
thought you might like to see this. It is a website, where you can actually upload a photo of your painting, and then try out different frames and mats. These sites are few and far between, I tried for ages to find one, and mostly, you are only offered the opportunity to use the pics stored on the site. This one is unusual; having the chance to upload your own pic, is brilliant.

Haven't tried it myself, but when I saw it, I thought I would pass it on to you so you could bookmark it.

http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/WebObjects/PictureFrames.woa/wa/FrameShop

Jackie

soap
10-27-2003, 04:22 AM
Oh, yes, I know that site. I've played around there some time and wished we had a frameshop like that in the UK.......

Mikki Petersen
10-27-2003, 06:20 AM
what a wonderful resource tool! It's so much easier to sit at home and play with ideas that wandering aimlessly through a frame shop or trying to visualize a whole matt and frame from one corner. thank you for pointing this out!

Carlanna
10-27-2003, 07:08 AM
Thank you Jackie, it's great!!!

Deborah Secor
10-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Wow, this is a great way to look at things... Thanks for sharing it with us, Jackie!

Deborah

Mary Robinson
10-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks Jackie, I've been using Photoshop without much success, that website will work much better, I've already bookmarked it.

Mary

Mary Robinson
10-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Well....I had to go play with that frame site:D. Here's what I came up with, I know the piece isn't quite finished yet nor are these the final dimensions, but it was fun...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2003/29489-wipseascapeframed.jpg

What do you think?

Mary

jackiesimmonds
10-27-2003, 01:18 PM
I haven't played with this site, and so did not realise you could even download a pic, how excellent! The last site I found where you could try out the frames, would not allow you to download the finished pic&frame. Quick, pass the word around to EVERYONE!!

ps - re the pic above ... I think the frame is too fussy. Why not try a simpler frame, so that the pic can be seen, rather than the eye going out to the busy frame.

J

Mary Robinson
10-27-2003, 01:40 PM
I used a screen capture tool, free from www.nonags.com, called capture it to get the image. You can click on your selection to enlarge it, then use the screen capture tool to grab the image. This way you can try different frames/mats and choose later. :)

Mary

ctmobitz
10-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Just want to let you know that I have used the website and purchased from them and was extremely pleased. My frame, mat and glass etc........was just like I ordered and played with on the site. I recommend them 100%. Good quality merchandise. Give them a try..........no I'm not getting a paid for this and I am not family.........LOL

They are great!

Claude

Dark_Shades
10-27-2003, 07:08 PM
lol, Ive had great fun tonight playing around in that site :)

..... thanks for sharing

Katherine J
10-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Great fun, Jackie. Thanks for that. I can do this all at home and then go to my framer and tell her exactly what I want!

Katherine

cjkelly
10-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the link Jackie - will play a bit later.

I use a photo editing program, find a nice mat colour/frame etc, commit it to memory and walk into the local framers for an instant let-down. Being in a smallish town he doesn't hold much stock and I always feel I'm settling for less than the pic deserves.

cj

Mikki Petersen
10-30-2003, 03:55 AM
Hey! I've ordered frames from these folks and had great success but never knew about the on-line virtual framing. Blew a whole evening playing with framing options! It's so much fun to see all my paintings displayed with mats and frames. Thanks for pointing this out for us, Jackie.

JohnnyRed
10-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Super! Thanks Jackie!

I've now passed this onto the Art Group here and in my previous Company.

Like akaMorgie, here is my effort, but to make it look a tad more 'real, I've added a drop shadow:

Selena
10-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks to JohnnyRed for forwarding me this info and letting me know about WetCanvas! What great sites (framing and WetCanvas). Here's my play (and first post).

Cheers,
Selena

jackiesimmonds
10-30-2003, 01:53 PM
delightful, Selena, and welcome to WC!!

Do you want comments on your pic, or are you happy with it as it is? It is always best to say if you do, or don't, want people to comment.

Hope you enjoy it here at WC!

Jackie

Selena
10-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome and useful info, Jackie. The framing link is a great tool!

Yes, I forgot to say - any comments on my pic would be very much appreciated!

All the best,
Selena.

jackiesimmonds
10-30-2003, 02:09 PM
ok then ... I would like to say that the drawing of the children is excellent, but it worries me a bit that they aren't sitting on anything ... perhaps it is unfinished?

JohnnyRed
10-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Welcome to WC, Selena :D

Hope you like it here. Looks like you're off to a good start.

I look forward to more of your posts, I know you have them!

Selena
10-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome, JohnnyRed!

Thanks for your comments, Jackie. When I've been drawing people recently, I have concentrated on the people and just added a few sketchy lines to indicate background. With this picture, I was in two minds what to do as I really didn't want to detract from the 2 boys at all so I left it for the moment. But as you say, it does look a bit odd that they're sitting in mid-air so a few of those sketchy lines are probably in order just to indicate a wall for them to sit on.

Thanks again,
Selena

ExpressiveAngie
11-18-2003, 08:29 AM
I would like to ask a question from the folks that have purchased form this website. I notice they send acrylic not glass, how does acrylic doe with pastels? Anyone with some knowledge of this please answer.
Thanks, Angie

soap
11-18-2003, 08:32 AM
I've heard that acrylic 'glass' is no good with pastels as it can 'attract' all the pastel particles from the paper onto the acrylic glass. Unless you hear otherwise, I won't use it.

ExpressiveAngie
11-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Thanks Soap - I thought I had heard that from someone before.

jackiesimmonds
11-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Personally, I think it is never a good idea to use anything other than glass with your pastels, because of the "static" problem. I believe that someone has, however, mentioned in the past something about a product you can wipe over the plastic, to prevent the static problem so that might be worth investigating.

J

CarlyHardy
11-18-2003, 01:45 PM
I've bought a number of custom frames from Graphik over the years and always received excellent service. Their online framing options service was started this year...because of numerous requests!

About the acrylic....sometimes shows will only allow acrylic if you have to ship the paintings. There is a product used by framers that you can spray onto the acrylic which is supposed to keep it from getting static. Both sides have to be sprayed before framing. I've only read about this in a magazine so I don't have the product name.

Someone recently told me about a product that you can spray computer screens and microwave fronts with....it stops the static and cleans at the same time. She uses this on the acrylic before framing and shipping and says it seems to be working. Said she bought it at a hardware store.

carly

christmascarolnz
11-18-2003, 04:08 PM
thank you very much Jackie for letting us know about this site. It was your help with my magnolia that took a lot of hassle out of the framing. I am grateful.
Can a person order frames from overseas? Plus, are they expensive?
I have added the link to my fav.s so I can play around a bit later.
Carol

Deborah Secor
11-18-2003, 06:58 PM
You can use a product called "Tend" to spray your plexiglas--but I warn you that it will NOT remove all the static. It helps a little. Don't ever clean the front of plexiglas with anything but a plastic cleaner like Tend & a soft cotton cloth. Regular paper towels will scratch it, plus the vigorous wiping cause static to build up. I won't use plexi unless the show insists and then I put a notice on the back suggesting the buyer reframe it with glass as soon as possible...

Deborah