PDA

View Full Version : Golden Eagle

Lucidog
11-04-2016, 11:13 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-04-2016/1990488_GoldenEagle.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Golden Eagle
Year Created: 2016
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first painting in about 30 years. I'm hoping to get back to painting and want to improve my skills, which are rusty to say the least, and improve technique. I'm not afraid of straight up critiques!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm interested in any and all feedback. I want to become a better artist.

Andrewcody
11-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Very noble
Regards
Andrew

SilverSwallow
11-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Hello there,
and welcome back to painting!
For a first painting in 30 years your off to a flying start(no pun intended!).

If I can offer any constructive feedback to assist you, it would be these minor points.
Try to push your values. They are a little flat. Push your highlights especially, as it seems to be backlit and this is always an opportunity to add drama and flare!
I think the image would be better if you tried to warm it up and add a sense of light and depth into it.
I spent a few minutes doing a paint-over for you to have a look at, and explain what I am talking about.
Consider adding a second light from the left bottom, maybe a cooler light, and try to add a bit more detail on the Eagle, as I think there is too much negative space and its giving your composition an uncomfortable feeling.
Feel free to disagree, and keep going, your doing some good work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2016/1987636-1990488_GoldenEagle_copy.jpg

~JMW~
11-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Looks good, but seems very dark on my screen.
The head /focal area is so high on the canvas and the body fades away into darkness..it feels unbalanced..or unfinished.

La_
11-05-2016, 01:31 AM
this is exquisite
but yeah, i miss his chest, just needs a glimmer of it's reality

la

Lucidog
11-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Thank you so much for all of the critiques and compliments alike! I will be taking everything that was said to improve this painting. What's cool is that although I saw some problems with my painting, all of you brought them to light. Your critiques will definitely make be a better painter! Thank you again!

Yvonne Keogh
11-08-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm curious what technique you used.

Becky Foster
11-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Beautifully rendered and I love your palette. I agree with the balance being off a bit. The composition pulls my eye to the center and there's not much to focus on there. I'm happy you're painting again!

Lucidog
11-25-2016, 04:15 PM
I'm curious what technique you used.

Unfortunately, I have no structured technique at this point... I drew it, painted the eagle and filled in with black.