GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: group study
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8X10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this study this afternoon. Trying to be fluid.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

jerryW
10-26-2003, 07:42 PM
what terrific fun
sooper light and warmth
great circle of friends
kinda neat also how they all have mustaches
must be related.

mcknight
10-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
what terrific fun
sooper light and warmth
great circle of friends
kinda neat also how they all have mustaches
must be related.

I had a good laugh when you mentioned the mustaches. There's actually only one person with a mustache in the picture. In my attempt to avoid detail, I inadventantly produced outgrowths on the faces.

dornberg
10-26-2003, 10:37 PM
beautiful color, with
important different color
adjusting within and to, the
beautiful color

katelynalain
10-26-2003, 11:38 PM
i only saw the one mustache. this is fabulous. the colours are fresh and clean and i dont mind the fluidity making it abstract. it has a unique quality. try doing something like this larger. i think you would have to work pretty fast to keep this approach though. its a nice direction. work larger! make them bold :)

Rieko
10-27-2003, 03:42 AM
Yes, I want to see a large version of this. Loose style and glowing colors are wonderful. Figures are very nice and I love the warm/cold background.

capricorne
10-27-2003, 04:01 AM
Like it. Great feeling of intimacy and friendship.
Makes me think on 'le dejeuner sur l'herbre' from Manet.

mcknight
10-27-2003, 12:05 PM
The ref photo is an old picture of distant British relatives from my family album. I was twelve at the time, and being the goof that I was, I decided to do a mock pose in front of the older folks.

dornberg - thanks!

katelyn - You probably see the wrong mustache as the one person with a mustache doesn't look like he has one in the painting. For this I didn't care at all about likeness - I sort of like the genericness. Yes, i'll have to try this kind of style larger - not sure what will happen and whether I'll be able to keep up. This little one was actually very quick - about 30 minutes plus a quick touch up later on.

Rieko - I'll try somethign larger. The style very close to how I "feel" I should paint - i.e. it's instinctual, sort of like dancing with the brush. Thanks.

capricorne - Thanks. Manet did cross my mind too while I was painting.

Andrew
10-27-2003, 12:29 PM
These studies can be a great deal of fun. I have to confess that I like the execution of the crowd study better.

Andrew

mcknight
10-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
These studies can be a great deal of fun. I have to confess that I like the execution of the crowd study better.

Andrew

They are fun. The crowd study was actually quite exhausting...a bit like running a race on a tight-rope. I found this one much more relaxed - I didn't feel drained after doing it.