PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Post November 2016

Dougwas
10-31-2016, 11:16 PM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.

Doug

robertsloan2
11-01-2016, 04:31 AM
Purr thanks Doug! I was going to come on and post it now, since I'm up early for Nanowrimo. But it's a good thing to see you!

My goal this November is to write 50,000 words of fiction. It may not be any good, probably won't as no first drafts are that good. But I still want to do it this year and find out where it goes.

I got started at one in the morning and so far have 871 words. Spread out to daily writing that'd be 1,667 but I have never managed to write every day during one of these. So I need to log quite a bit more than that. It goes in big leaps and big gaps. Bodes well to start early and get ahead. Nothing gets cut till it's done and edited.

Dougwas
11-01-2016, 10:51 AM
No problem, Robert. I figured you would be busy getting ready for Nanowrimo, so I just got the thread going. Good luck!

Doug

Mij
11-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks Doug for starting us off.

Fine goal Robert. Nanowrimo must be pretty hectic if it gets you going like that. I hope you make it.

I have some goals but few are art related except the small ones up front.

November Goals

Sort out all art stuff into mediums.
Sort out all Radio gear and recycle that which will be unlikely to be used again.
Check if my damaged shoulder cuff has repaired sufficiently to try archery again. Check with the local shop to see if the shooting range is still available. If my shoulder proves beyond the pale arrange to put all the archery gear up for sale.
Attend a JFD w/shop on the 20th Nov. This is an all day Saturday event.
Prepare/insulate next part of garage.
Clear garden of summer chairs/table, set new water butts in position and find drain connections.
Make a few trips to recycle centre.
Put unwanted but useful stuff on Freegle.
Phew!
Jim :clear::angel::lol:.

Judibelle
11-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Jim...I'm worn out just reading your goals! Phew! is right!
good luck to you....don't wear yourself out ....

Rob...Good Luck with the Nanowrimo...

Doug....Good to hear you are painting again. Hope you can stay 'well'...

My goal this month is to start painting again....I have no excuse now...my art space is up and ready for work. I did a little pencil sketch today...no big deal,
but a start.....

robertsloan2
11-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Jim - wow! That's a tall order! Good luck on your shoulder, hope you don't have to give up archery completely. Ambitious goals!

Judi, purr! Yay that you're getting back to painting! I've gotten going, wrote both days, so far up to 6,558 words. Definitely ahead and staying ahead, may write more tonight.

robertsloan2
11-04-2016, 12:38 PM
10,486 this morning and still ahead, have written each day for four days. Might be almost a record. I have hopes of actually doing it this year, write every day, finish the book at the end or when it does. Certainly going to be over 50,000 total though.

Judibelle
11-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Good for you, Rob! Keep it going....

I did a small sketch in my sketchbook today....can't seem to get motivated somehow. But tomorrow IS another day...

Mij
11-04-2016, 08:41 PM
have written each day for four days. Good going Robert, it sure looks as if you'll finish it this year if your health holds up.

Good on you Judi, slowly slowy catchee monkey - and the muse is just as evasive most times.

I have tidied away the patio table, chairs and benches. I have positioned the water butts but do not know where I have put the drain connectors :lol:. Oh I had to be on hand tonight, family meal etc.
Jim.

Norma46
11-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Been months since I have been in WC. I have moved from Delaware to Florida with all that entails with a permanent move. New drivers license, registering to vote, getting utilitiies, taxes insurance etc etc set up in a new state. In addition to which I had the entire first floor renovated with new tile floor,, new kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc. What should have been a six week project turned into a 12 week project with no functional kitchen for much of that time. All completed now so I am hoping to find the time, energy and enthusiasm to get started. I just downloaded a photo of pointsettias that I will try to render in pastels and/or oils this month. Couldn't get too inspired by this month's spotlight so will look elsewhere for subject for artwork. Hope to get involved in an art community here, but have not had time to pursue it yet.

Best to all in you goals this month.

robertsloan2
11-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Purr thanks! Judi, a small sketch is a whole lot more than nothing. Very important in building motivation. Small sketches can drum it up gradually.

Jim, purr! Yeah, I'm starting to have hopes this year! Congrats on the heavy physical accomplishments, you're getting a lot done there even if you can't find the connectors yet.

Norma, wow. That's a whole lot to get done. I've been here in Arkansas for almost a year now, moving is not easy or simple! Wow that renovation on top of it! Sounds awesome doing a pastel painting of poinsettias. I'd be tempted to that too some time before the holiday, might do that or recreate the one I did of the Christmas ornaments in December. But pastels are a back seat this month given the novel. Even if I like the Spotlight theme and find the photos inspiring, I may not have a day to do one. Or may have to do it from inside the house, looking out the window or at the screen.

14,821 words now on the novel. I have kept it up for six days now, every day doing quite a bit more than 1,667 so I'm keeping my lead handily. I might be able to do this without missing a day. Don't expect to stop at 50,000 even if I'll probably hit it early, just start winding down the novel toward its ending at that point.

Whatever art I do comes after the day's writing. I have experimented a little with Daniel Smith watercolor sticks today to compare with Winsor & Newton watercolor sticks, the WN product is nowhere near as powerful or concentrated. Pretty disappointing even if the small square sticks are convenient sized and easier to draw with. They're just not very strong, not as heavily pigmented whether used wet or dry.

Judibelle
11-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi Norma....Welcome back! You've had quite a busy few months. Hope you do get do do some painting soon!

Rob..you are doing great with your writing! Good Going!

Jim...now on to some painting!

A friend loaned me a book called "Art Before Breakfast" by Danny Gregory. quite an inspirational book! He's a 'daily art' enthusiast. I've already done a couple of the contour-drawing lessons.... it's like 'back to the basics'!

Dougwas
11-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Better late than never. :angel: I wanted to see how things were going before I set my goals for November. So far I have painted every day, except for yesterday. My wife, daughter and I spent half of the day doing fall yard cleanup. We got everything done, so other than putting up the Christmas lights there is no more outside work to do until the Spring. That means painting without guilt. :thumbsup:

My goals for November:

1) Paint daily.

2) Finish 2 more paintings for the FCA portfolio.

3) Experiment with painting from imagination.

4) Turn 60 with a smile on my face. It's just a number.:)

Doug

Judibelle
11-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Hi Doug...Good to 'see' you. Sounds like you've been busy. Good for you...and hope no repercussions from the yard work.....

I finally picked up a piece I had started many months ago...it's sort of a complicated one, so picking it up again is a little tricky. It s a stream falling over some rocks in the woods....a beautiful spot....but I now remember why I stopped when I did on it...
It'll take some time, but I'm determined to finish it this time...

robertsloan2
11-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Purr! Yay for your new goals, Doug. Looking good! Daily painting is awesome. Once you get going it gives so much momentum. Painting from imagination is cool, it helps if it's subjects you've painted from life often or drawn before enough times the anatomy's familiar. As for 60 - round numbers kind of grab people, but it's just a number. I turn 62 in December and it's not going to be that different except maybe the savings cap will go away.

Judi, that sounds so cool. I'm glad you're picking up something you left off a while back, that's difficult but often so rewarding. Sometimes it takes a while for the mind to work through the problems it had and it comes easier after it's set for a while.

Novel is up to 19,085 and still going. I like a twist that just happened in it and I'm starting to have fun. For the eighth day I've managed to keep up that daily word count of 1,667 or better, which is incredible considering previous years. Still trying to get ahead and have two or three virtual days if I fall behind, but seeing the graph climb steady instead of jumping up and down is inspirational. I push it and throw in junk when I'm not inspired. I can always cut it out later.

Mij
11-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Good going Doug, you seem to be on top of everything so far this month. All the rest of the month to paint. Good goals as well! Congrats on the achieving the big six zero, welcome to the oldtimers club. Pick up your pipe and slippers next time you are at the supermarket :).

Hello Norma, lovely to read you here. It sounds as if you have had a busy time with the move to Florida and refurbishing a kitchen. I hope you do the poinsettas as they are so colourful and I like that. They are a special at dressing the table etc. at this time of the year. Thanks for the good wishes.

Robert, you are making good progress by the sounds of it . Well done, I hope it keeps up. I assume it takes a good imagintion as well as typing and spelling skills. 19,000 words and counting, probably way past that now.

Hi ya Judi, contour-drawing? I was unable to grasp that nettle so I hope you have better luck. If it's like 'back to basics' for you it sounds as if you are fine with it. We have to get inspiration where ever we find it, Good luck with taking up with a past picture.

I probably wont get time to do art this month except the workshop with JFD on the 26th of this month.
I have made some progress in 'the back yard' as you call it. The water butts are now positioned and I fell across the connections for them when looking for something else as I frequently seem to do. I did some cooking Saturday as we had a family visit. Now I need to press on with the 'stuff sorting' and make a few more trips to the recycle centre. I have made one. Oh and I need the ply and insulation to continue with making the garage cosier. I nearly forgot, we have the sitting room and lounge being carpeted Thursday week and a son coming across to help me move furniture Wednesday evening. It's all go isn't it. I will use the carpet removed from the dining room and lounge in the garage when the floor is insulated. In fact it will be another layer of insulation quite useful.
Jim.

robertsloan2
11-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Wow, Jim. You got a lot done. Sounds like the garage is going to be a lot more comfortable when you're done, insulation and carpet and all. Makes sense to reuse the carpet you're pulling up. It's still warm and solid. Cool about the water butts, frustrating about the connections tripping you so often. Yay for the stuff sorting and purging. That must get pretty heavy sometimes. The more space you have, the more stuff accumulates.

I'm now up to 31,510 words, way over half way to the 50,000 word minimum. The book will be whatever length it is and end on the last day of the month, because the rest of my goal is to make this the year I don't miss a day. I had one day that I did only about a thousand words instead of 1,667 but all the rest went way over, so that doesn't matter. I haven't had one day without writing yet. 13 days no interruptions. This is awesome.

Wish me luck on the rest of it. And yeah, I need to get imaginative, also type fast. The new laptop is helping so much with this, the keys are all there and don't wobble and come up when I pound them. My old laptop, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it.

Dougwas
11-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Jim- Hey, Jim! I'm not there yet! I don't turn 60 until the 21st. I'm still a youngster until then. :lol: You have been a busy man. You have your "garden" area all organized, but please watch your step. We don't need any broken bones from unexpected tumbles. That garage is sounding like it will be a nice cozy room to play in. You have come a long way. Glad you are still fitting in a watercolour workshop.

Judi- I survived the yard work. I actually let other people do a lot of the work. Saved my back by letting my wife and daughter bend down and pick things up while I did the pruning. I was still a little sore, but I could still paint the next day.:)

Good to hear that you are painting again. What a coincidence. I just finished a pastel painting that was sitting on my easel for about three months. It was a beach scene and I wasn't sure how to finish it off. Do you know how I did it? I just started painting and figured it out on the go. You can do it! It's just paper and colored dust. :) Good luck!

Norma- Welcome back! It always takes a while to get back into the swing of things after a move. And then add in a major reno? I hope you have found the time and energy to do some art work.

Robert- You are doing a great job on your novel! I don't know how you do it, but keep doing it. :) Good to hear your new laptop is working well and you are back online. I remember when you had that problem in San Francisco and we missed seeing you online. It's not nice being disconnected to the outside world. Good luck with the writing!

Well, I have been painting up a storm and working on the portfolio. I had a curve ball thrown my way though. The FCA has changed the way of submitting portfolios and are doing it all online. That's not a problem, but ten pieces and a November 21st deadline is a challenge. I am just finishing up piece number 7. Three more paintings in the next eight days sounds doable, but all our kids are going to be here for the entire next weekend to celebrate my 60th, so I might have to wait until the FCA has another call for portfolios. It will probably be early into 2017, so its not like I have to wait all year. Even if I finish three more paintings, I still have to take high res photos of all the paintings. I am still going to try to get it done, but I won't be kicking myself if it doesn't get done.

Take care everyone. I hope the dust is flying!

Doug

robertsloan2
11-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Good luck on your portfolio, Doug! It sounds like a tight squeeze, especially with the high res photography. You have a chance though.

I kept going this evening and I've gotten up to 32,642 now. Still on Day 13. I think I'm going to be able to do this. I'll get way past 50k for the whole, but my first one was 90k so that's reasonable.

Dougwas
11-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Keep going, Robert! You are doing a great job! You are also giving that new laptop a real workout.

I finished my eighth painting on Sunday and ninth painting yesterday! Nine down and one to go! :) The last painting was actually started weeks ago, but it didn't look right and I wasn't sure how to fix it. I ended up blending the painting into the UArt paper and then painting over it. lol It worked! I think it turned out to be one of my favorite paintings. My wife wants me to frame it. That's always a good sign.:lol: If you want to take a look at the painting, I posted it over in the gallery.

Off to find the reference photo for painting number ten!

Doug

Norma46
11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Well, I broke the ice today. I painted the pointsettia adapted from several photo downloads. Actually think I will have Christmas cards made using the image. Here it is since it doesn't fit with this month's spotlight. It is on gray canson using a variety of pastels including pans, rembrandts and senneliers. Actual size is approx 7.5"x 7.5".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2016/1893196-pointsettia.jpg

Dougwas
11-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Nicely done, Norma. Your little painting will make a very nice Christmas card.

I did it! Yesterday, I finished the tenth painting (posted over in the Gallery). The past two days were used to take better quality photos of all the paintings and edit them in PS and resize them, when I wasn't painting. Last night I entered the photos into the FCA system(they made the process very user friendly) and now all I have to do is hit the submit button. I am gong to wait a couple of days, just in case I paint another painting I like better than one I entered.

I am one happy camper. This goal looked so out of reach for me, but the paintings just came together. Maybe all those years of learning are actually starting to pay off. Now my Active Membership status is in the hands of three Signature members of the Federation of Canadian Artists. If I don't get in I will just keep painting and try again. If anything, this process has got me going again and I am happing fun painting.:)

Doug

robertsloan2
11-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Norma, wow! I love your poinsettia! It'll make a fantastic card, it just vibrates with color and energy. Such beauty! I love the plant anyway, and you've done something fantastic with it.

Doug, congratulations! One to go! Just one! It's awesome when something that was so frustrating turns out to go well.

I think my book is in that category. Like it's the sketch for something that'll become a much better book when I do it. It's coming along well, currently at 41,557 words and growing. I got in three thousand this morning, which made up for the second slack day I had. I've caught a cold that's turning into bronchitis and scared me, but the weather lightened up today and it's not as bad though drippy. Hoping to knock it out before the weather really gets worse again.

Mij
11-21-2016, 06:45 AM
HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY DOUG!
I take it you meant the 21st of November, as I said pipe and slippers next supermarket trip :angel::clear::lol:.
I have seen the Marsh and On Guard in the studio/gallery and you cracked it. I hope you get in the gallery ok.

Hi Norma, what a beautiful rendition of a poinsetta. I am pleased that you have broken the ice so to speak. The plant is so full of colour and I was surprised to learn it was the leaves that are so red, I always thought of the leaves as the petals. As you might have guessed, not a gardner here. Yes it will make a lovely Chistmas card.

Robert you are making excellent progress with your writing. Over 41k words at the last count, you are probably way ahead of that by now. Good on you!

Hi there Judi, how is the contour drawing going? You indicated that you may continue with a previous picture, did you manage that? It would be nice to see it if you have.

Some of my yardwork was undone by storm Angus (yes we started naming them last year). I had to reposition the water buts and recycle bins from where the wind had blown them. I also took longer than I anticipated moving things about for the carpeting. I am forgetting how much is involved when something needs to be done. I am also forgetting my age, some 14 years older than you Doug. Not that I mind as it beats the alternative :angel::clear::lol:.

Today I need to go shopping for groceries and then travel to the next town for some battenning to resume insulating the garage. Oh and SWMBO needs a trip out for 12:10 appointment.
It's all go isn't it.
Jim.

Judibelle
11-21-2016, 10:15 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Doug. May your 60th year be the best yet....

We are buried under a good 14-or-so inches of SNOW here! No TV...satellite is laden with snow and won't work....Thankfully I still have the computer working.
Don't know when my car will get plowed out....
an Indoor Day today, for sure.

Dougwas
11-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Robert- Keep those words flying! You are doing a great job!

Jim- Thanks for the birthday wishes. Yes it was the 60th. I don't feel any older and my wife still thinks I act like a kid.:evil: And thanks for taking a look at my paintings.

Judy- Thank you Judy. It was a great birthday long weekend with the family. We had all our kids staying here and we played cards and board games and had a little too much beer and wine. But we all survived and we will do it again at Christmas. :) We also had the pug visiting as well and she really took a shine to me. I couldn't sit down in the living room without her jumping up onto my lap. She even managed to lay down on my lap and fall asleep.

Back to salad today. Back to reality.

Doug

Judibelle
11-25-2016, 01:55 PM
OK Doug, You have inspired me to paint....just did a quickie (which I'm not going to show!) and it felt good!
Jim...I just copied the one from a while ago, which I feel is finished now...will try to upload it:
It's been so long since I've done this...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2016/103700-Scan0034.jpg

It's called Hidden Falls and is a lovely place to spend a quiet hour or 2...

robertsloan2
11-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Judibelle, that's so beautiful. Very atmospheric! I love the water pouring down, the way the surface beyond is so flat and the mists so deep. Beautiful scene!

Happy Birthday, Doug! 60 is a great year, we're real close in age. PURR at you and glad you had a good time!

I'm still fighting this cold, but I have gone way past 50,000 now. Still keeping up Writing Every Day, lowest day was only about 320 words but it was still something. One stat that I was surprised by, they keep a running tally of the word counts on all your years on the Nanowrimo site. I have just gone over one million words total in November novels. Blew me away. Pretty cool, that. Current count, 67,242 and still going.

The cold is on the ebb, but I have been staying home with it the past few days and sleeping a lot. When not writing, watching "Cowboys Vs. Dinosaurs" on Netflix and similar mind candy.

Mij
11-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Judibelle, that is so atmospheric. It looks as if it's just been covered/uncovered by mist, which a waterfall frequently is. Hence the appropiate title.
I am sorry to hear you have the white stuff already, is that early or late for your situation?
We have so little here that if we do get it, it causes chaos :clear::lol:.

Hiya Robert, the word count is still increasing! Well done, I realise what a struggle it can be. Sorry to hear you have been beset with a cold. My favourite remedy was to have a mug half filled with whiskey and the other half warm water and honey. I'd sip and refill until bedtime. Next morning cold gone. But that was expensive and of course limits driving. Nowadays I use bicarbinate of soda which is cheaper - and just as effective. Funny part is they are oppostes on the PH scale.

I did go to a watercolour workshop with JFD on Saturday but nowhere near finished it. I do not like leaving SWMBO all alone so do not stay to complete the picture at all. Well SWMBO does wear an emergency telephone thingy around her neck in case she falls at all, but I am still concerned.
Never mind, I'll continue to sort stuff for the garage move and peruse online sites looking for stuff to persue model railways :angel::wink2:.
Jim

Judibelle
11-28-2016, 06:01 PM
thanks, Jim and Rob, for your comments.

I actually have gotten the mo-tivation to get painting again...just not the in-spiration of what to paint. Nothing I can find interests me at the moment. Spent a couple of hours looking through collections of photos and finally found one. I think it is one I can do several different versions of, so it might keep me busy for the nest 2 or 3 days!

Congratulations, Doug, on finishing the 10 paintings.....now , hope you get good news soon!

Rob...glad to hear you are making progress with the writing....hope your cold has gotten better by now.

Jim....Will you finish the workshop piece at home? Would love to see it....
(I know how your feel....about leaving the spouse home alone....been there, done that....) but glad you got away for a short while, anyway...

Dougwas
11-28-2016, 07:11 PM
At least I tried. Got the rejection letter today and I have to admit it was a punch in the gut. But, after about a minute I decided to use this as motivation to improve some more and reapply in six months. That means I have to come up with another ten painting before then. I am actually looking forward to it. I know that my pastel painting has improved over the past year to the point I actually like some of them, and my painting should improve more within another six months. I am still a member. I just can't enter any shows.

I haven't done any painting lately, but I did some framing. Three of my paintings are now hanging in our dining room. My wife loves them and that's all that matters. My new paper stash is sitting at the post office waiting to be picked up. I might pop down there after supper and get it. I am taking a gamble, trying a Pastel Premier sanded paper for the first time. Is is a 400 grit sanded paper in a variety of colours. Dakota has a sale on it so I ordered more than I need. lol I will let you know what I think of it.

Judy- What a lovely painting! It has a very soft look. The light part of the water and the falls lead you right into the painting. Glad you found your mojo and you are back painting.

Robert- You are doing a great job on your novel. Keep going!

Jim- At least you got some art squeezed into your busy schedule. I can understand your concerns about your wife. You always want to be close to help when needed. I am sure she appreciates your concerns.

Doug

robertsloan2
11-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Thanks! Up to the 28th now and have not missed one day. Lowest day was a little over 200 words - but it was something! Only two more and I'll succeed!

Have fun with the sanded paper! It may prove inspirational. I know it was for me when I first tried sanded paper. You can do a lot more with it than with unsanded, and the Pastel Premier is good sanded paper. Sorry about the rejection but I'm impressed with your intensity getting ready to go again! Go you! Those 10 paintings were a great achievement in themselves!

robertsloan2
11-30-2016, 08:38 AM
Finished! The book is done, at 75,558.

vs5zh[mb]bidx (Kyra typed this, I have no idea what she meant.)

Thirty days of writing every day. The last line just wrote itself. I read it and wham, yeah, that's the end of the book all right. It's done! Exactly on time, exactly as planned. Wow. Succeeded in my goal!

Dougwas
11-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Congratulations, Robert!!!! :clap: Way to go!!!!! :thumbsup: You should be proud of your accomplishment.

I started a painting on the new paper. It is going to take a little getting used to. Definitely different to UArt and MT Touch, but I think after a painting or two the Pastel Premier paper will be just fine. I started rereading Ian Roberts' book on composition yesterday. I figured it might make more sense to me now. I think I have a basic understanding, but if I want to improve as an artist I should have stronger composition skills. My goals for December will reflect this.

Doug

robertsloan2
11-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Sounds good! Thank you!

Kitten bought me a new pastels book by Margaret Evans and two male landscape artists. I liked all three but particularly love Margaret Evans and her lessons, so I've been inspired. This is the last day for the autumn Spotlight so I don't know if I'll get to painting today or doing it on the December one, but I'd really like to get back to pastels!