PDA

View Full Version : The Zombie Queen (complete) and Rambles of Spring (WIP)

FiredrakeMacFie
10-30-2016, 01:15 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I not only welcome C&C, I am actively soliciting it. I'm here to learn and I know I have a LOOOOONG way to go, so please help me improve.

First, The Zombie Queen is a complete work (well, I'm sure there's more I could have done with it, like add a background, but it's done in the sense that I've stopped working on it, and have no further plans for it just now). Its 'inspiration' came from an app I have called Jazza's Arty Games that gives randomized cues for drawing practice (incidentally, highly recommended for those looking for quick ideas for drawing practice. I'd provide a link, but the system won't let me until I've made at least 2 posts, and this is #2 here. Oh well, google it if you're curious). The particular cue that spawned the Zombie Queen here was "A reserved zombie queen that is from medieval times who has a big Katar." This started out as a pencil sketch, which I then scanned and completed using GIMP, a mouse, and lots and lots of time.

Second, this is a new work that I'm actually having a bit of a problem with. It's inspired by the song "Rambles of Spring", specifically the version sung by The Lost Boys (Sorry, once again can't link to it. Again, google it if you're curious), and uses characters from the webcomic/graphic novel I eventually want to create. This was drawn using GIMP and my new Huion 1060Plus drawing tablet, though this is just the initial sketch. Not really much more than construction lines, really. However, I've run into a problem when I went back to 'ink' it and refine the lines. The legs look wrong, and I'm having difficulty identifying exactly what the problem is so that I can fix them. Everything I try still doesn't look right. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the proportions and perspective, both of which have proved to be real challenges for me in general.

LavenderFrost
10-31-2016, 10:22 AM
Well you certainly met that challenge.

I can't really give advice on drawing people except to try to find a reference that matches your idea. Just looking at them I would say the raised legs are too bent and the feet turned too much to the side.

b'anna
11-04-2016, 07:57 PM
First, welcome to Digital!! Looking forward to seeing you grow! I can't wait to see what you do with the second one. The figure on the right looks ok to me but I see what you mean about the figure on the left. I am no good with figure but I like Michelle's idea about finding some figure online and using it for a reference.
Looking forward to seeing more
Barb

FiredrakeMacFie
11-04-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm working on the more refined line work now, but since I tend to draw pretty slowly and I only have an hour or so a night (at best) during the week, it's taking a bit. I hope to have some time to get the rest of the line work done this weekend. I think I've figured out how to fix the legs, though. I hope to be able to show something soon.

L Skylar Brown
11-05-2016, 02:36 PM
This is a hard one. I will say this, tho, If it looks wrong to you, it is not what you envision yet. Trial & Error. Work in layers to expedite those changes.

FiredrakeMacFie
11-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Finished the line work. Next comes coloring and then shading.

jow104
11-06-2016, 03:30 AM
A good and interesting posting to me, look forward to more of your paintings together with the theme for the painting.

FiredrakeMacFie
11-06-2016, 09:08 PM
AAAANNNNNDDDD it's done. I've been extra productive this weekend. Interesting tidbit: In the coloring/shading phase, one of my favorite effects was also pretty much the easiest part to do: the mountains.

I've included 2 versions of the final piece here. The second one removes the linework from everything but the figures. I think it makes a very interesting effect. Unfortunately, removing the linework from the figures didn't work out nearly as well. If I wanted to, I could probably fiddle with it to make it work, but probably not. I think I will try to do more pieces using the technique, though.