PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

Anonymous
10-27-2016, 12:59 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-27-2016/1981132_Water_Lily.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Robert Hayden wrote a tremendously moving poem using Monet's water lily paintings as inspiration. In tu<br>, I have been inspired to attempt a series of paintings influenced by Mr. Hayden's and Monet's work. I'm not trying to be Monet, but rather channel him through my oculus. Here we have the first attempt, or study. It is not quite finished, but reaching that point soon. Please excuse the glare.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Having read the short description, how effective is the painting? I'm interested in any observation this group may have. I have submitted anonymously so that you may be free to give open and honest critique. No hard feelings!

chantz_2011
10-27-2016, 10:19 PM
I like this a lot! Great work.

It's wonderful in part for the contrast of the background crispness vs. the soft foreground.

This may be just me, but my eye lingers too long on the green element coming in from the lower part of the right side. Perhaps because that element is so different from the rest of the scene? I'd like to hear if others have a similar experience.

When you say "effective," do you mean how it stands on its own or how it may portray some work of poetry?

Is this piece inspired by a particular Hayden work?

Moving On
10-28-2016, 12:39 AM
I love the top part of the painting. The color and details are lovely. And I like the reddish color at the bottom right hand side.

If I were to make any suggestions, it would be with the bottom right hand side. I'm no expert, but I'm wondering what would happen if the bottom right was brighter or more detailed? Or maybe make the "line" of leaves/water plants that goes from the top to the bottom (a little left of center) more of a diagonal going toward the green plant on the bottom right?

That said, I'm not sure I would change it. It looks good.

Andrewcody
10-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Nice work, but agree the green in the right foreground needs to be worked up as it does not fit the rest of your work.

What is this round hole you think you are channeling Monet through?

Regards
Andrew

chantz_2011
10-28-2016, 01:34 AM
I'm not trying to be Monet, but rather channel him through my oculus.
What is this round hole you think you are channeling Monet through? Oculus is Latin for eye.

Yvonne Keogh
10-28-2016, 12:00 PM
This is a well channelled Monet! I would love to see a flower that's all.

Andrewcody
10-28-2016, 07:39 PM
ocellos, oculis, oculorum (http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-meaning-of/latin-word-198a3b64f31c3b0b7193eb99f27132ceee0b0f0f.html)

Oculus is Latin for eye.

Janalice
10-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Just my 2 cents: I wouldn't change a thing. I think it is gorgeous.

Andahaion
11-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Here is the finished product. More canvasses under way, but this is the first to be finished.