PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" gessobord...

Jay-bird77
10-26-2016, 06:34 PM
I recently bought a 16"x12" and a1/4"thick piece of gessobord. Now I didn't do anything to the board yet.
I don't even know if your supposed to prepare it or if you can even use pastels on the gesso it won't be able to hold many layers?
I know about Golden's acrylic ground for pastels as I've used this method before.
Any and all advice and or suggestions,comments are greatly appreciated!

Dougwas
10-27-2016, 11:12 AM
I believe that Gessobord is for oils and acrylics. Ampersand, the company that makes it, also makes a product called Pastelbord. Pastelbord has marble dust added to the surface to give the pastels something to adhere to. http://www.dickblick.com/products/ampersand-pastelbord/

I guess you could add a pastel ground to the Gessobord for use with pastels, but it would be less expensive if you used hardboard from a hardware store. I have even made my own pastel ground using gesso and pumice. I tinted it with acrylic paint for the color i wanted and applied it to Arches 140 lb hotpress watercolor paper.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-29-2016, 07:32 PM
I like the Colourfix pastel ground for coming in a fairly fine grit and 20 colors including Clear. An advantage with Gessobord would be painting the underpainting in anything you like, including acrylics or oils, then going over it with a clear pastel ground and painting on that.

Ampersand Pastelbord has a lovely texture, super fine grit but very toothy and takes lots of layers. When you have budget for another board, they don't cost that different from gessobord, so maybe give that a try. My only problem with it is that it has to be framed with spacers rather than a mat or I have to buy one so large the mat covers some of the primed surface, which is more expensive. It weighs too much to mount in a window mat.

Moqui Steps
10-30-2016, 02:19 AM
If I wanted to do a pastel on a gesso board instead of an oil painting, Bombay ink piece or a watercolor, I would most likely do one of two things.

1 - Glue some of my favorite sanded pastel paper to it and have a go from there.

2 - Mix some 280 or 320 grit aluminum oxide or carborundum with clear gesso and apply a coat with some varied brush textures in it, then do a pastel on top of that.

What I consider one of my best pastels was done on just such a board as option #2, but the surface definitely had a mind of its own, which I used to create some unique textures and patterns that would have been very difficult to achieve with ultra smooth sanded pastel paper.