GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Restaurant Interior with Abstract and Figure
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Reference photo was downloaded as a result of a Google search "cafe interior". The reference photo is posted in the projects forum if you've a mind to look at it. I changed things around to suit my perspective (or lack of...) and removed the shadow in the doorway (I suppose so that the viewer could be removed to the outside of the painting instead of forced to being a part of it.)It lacks a focal point, the colors shown here are very close to the real thing, and bits of it are shinye.g., around the face and on the subjects chair.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I don't plan to do anything with this. Is it too mundane as in trite? ... appreciate whatever you have to offer.

jerryW
10-26-2003, 03:15 PM
I like the shadows and major color areas.
I would simplify the flowers and the abstract
in keeping with the total feel.

Paintonbrush
10-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Its a good thing to practice play of light and shadow, space and objects. I like the right side best

Naris
10-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Elements of Hopper in your work! The shadows are well done, I like the simplicity of the piece but would like to see more elements to add interest.

dornberg
10-26-2003, 10:38 PM
doing some
amazing and unique
spacing

Wayne Gaudon
10-27-2003, 02:31 AM
can't seem to decide on this one .. it seems split as if two seperate paintings and yet that in itself has appeal .. the coloring is quite nice. the purple matt stands out like a sore thumb or perhaps like a rose among the thorns .. again I can't decide so overall I would think the painting is good as it forces one to look on in seach of a hook or landing. the only pik I have is that the lady seems superimposed .. as if cut out and pasted in.

later,

capricorne
10-27-2003, 03:47 AM
Remarquable mix of depth and flattening the picture plane.
Like the interaction between the figure and the light shape.
Hopper feeling.
Like it.