PDA

View Full Version : Have any Procreate IOS app Tips? (Ipad/Iphone)

GregoryMartz
10-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Hi, all.

I use the ProCreate app for both Ipad and IPhone for my digital art needs.

I figured I'd start a thread for anyone to put down their own tips and experiences with the app.

I am currently a beginner whom is currently practicing drawing cartoons and comics. Even though I mostly do traditional style right now (pencil, pen, paper, and various coloring medias), I stop to explore ideas to enhance my use of my stylus and Ipad with Procreate - my chosen app.

Also, if anyone has experience creating cartoons, Manga, and Comics with Procreate, let me know. I plan to try my hand at sketching in pencil on the Ipad digitally with the Adonit Jot Touch stylus, but right now as I'm a beginner - I'm sketching on paper with pencil first, then inking digitally (for anything I intend to be fully polished).

creando
10-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi Gregory, the most important settings in Procreate in my opinion are:
1-Tweak the pressure curve. Change the threshold and do not allow it to go to the maximum pressure.
2-Eliminate all gestures except the quick access menu. With this trick you will no longer activate functions with your hand, it is important to let the hand rest on the glass like you would do with real paper.
3-Use the quick access menu constantly to mirror the image ir order to check proportions.
4-Eliminate the "straight lines" feature, this is very annoying and leads to many interruptions in the workflow.

I have not found them listed in any other place so hopefully they will be useful.
They helped me a lot to make the process in Procreate closer to a real drawing using pencil and paper. Enjoy.

creando
10-22-2016, 03:37 PM
I forgot to mention:

Use ALWAYS temporary layers.
I open a new layer for ever detailed stroke, so that I am able to adjust it, change the edges and even its opacity. This works miracles.
I use to work with just two active layers, the process I use is:

Main image
Open a temp layer > add strokes
Merge layers
Open a temp layer > add strokes..
etc.

with this workflow you can improve a lot.

GregoryMartz
10-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Thank you, creando! This is very helpful! Learning Procreate has been discouraging because it hasn't felt the same as drawing on paper, but I think this will help. Digital is an excellent option. Thank you!