PDA

View Full Version : Doodle

t1barkode
10-17-2016, 12:20 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-17-2016/1989961_doodle.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-17-2016/1989961_doodlecrop.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Doodle
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 20 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A portrait of my parents' dog. It is a morkie :) This was somewhat of a study that I used to try to loosen up my painting. I used bigger brushes and tried not to focus on so much detail. There are some things I don't like, like how I left the underpainting showing in spots, and how I chose a reference photo with the dog's eyes so squinty. I also made the pillow the dog is on in a rush and didnt attempt to make it look realistic. I was generally pretty happy with the results though.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
No specific questions. Just general feedback. I included my reference photo.

0rbt0
10-17-2016, 03:52 PM
MY IMAGE(S):

MY COMMENTS:
A portrait of my parents' dog. It is a morkie :) This was somewhat of a study that I used to try to loosen up my painting. I used bigger brushes and tried not to focus on so much detail. There are some things I don't like, like how I left the underpainting showing in spots, and how I chose a reference photo with the dog's eyes so squinty. I also made the pillow the dog is on in a rush and didnt attempt to make it look realistic. I was generally pretty happy with the results though.

Overall a good rendering. My critique would be on the color values and the background. I would say get some titanium white on your palate and pop out those highlights to create some subtle negative space and dimension to the fur. It has such a silver like quality in the photo. The background color steals from the subject. Maybe an earthy grey'ish green?

melindaxyz
10-18-2016, 11:27 AM
This is a lovely, something I would hang in my home. The expression of somewhat relaxed curiosity is very well done. It is achieved because Doodle is squinting his eyes and makes it more interesting than the common dog portrait. I also agree with Orbto, that titanium highlights (minimal highlights) will make the piece pop so it is not competing with the blanket and background and could create more movement and loosen up your work. Although I would not change the green, I am partial to your use of color. With all this being said, I too am happy with this piece as is.

La_
10-18-2016, 02:54 PM
cute
i'd make the eyes slightly larger (on the bottom)
and the nose slightly larger (on the top)
which would bring the eyes and nose slightly closer together

la

t1barkode
10-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Melindaxyz: Thank you! Saying you would hang this in your home is so nice!

La: The way you cropped in on the eyes and nose makes it so apparent! It would make the world of a difference to make those changes and I would probably enjoy the squinting eyes again :)

0rbt0: Titanium white highlights would definitely make this portrait pop a lot better. I used zinc white for my white in it thus far.

Once again, thank you guys for your comments. I am learning so much everyday it is insane.